Pumpkin Cupcakes made from scratch are the perfect fall dessert, especially when you top them with the best cream cheese frosting!
They’re soft, moist, and easy to make. You will love these easy pumpkin spice cupcakes!
It always seems like pumpkin bread gets all the attention during the fall, so I am here today to tell you that pumpkin cupcakes are the thing to make! Don’t get me wrong, I love the bread but cupcakes with cream cheese frosting? Yes, please.
These are the Best Pumpkin Cupcakes
Unlike other recipes, these treats are not masquerading as muffins dressed up like cupcakes. They have a light, fluffy texture and aren’t dense and bready like muffins.
They have just the right amount of spices. I use a combination of fall spices that make them taste amazing. Not to mention the aroma while they bake – it’s amazing.
You won’t want to skip the cream cheese frosting! It adds the finishing touch. Cream cheese and pumpkin are so good together.
Table of Contents
- Vegetable oil: I know my normal cupcakes call for butter, but I find that using vegetable oil keeps them super moist!
- Brown sugar: adds a little extra richness for this fall cupcake. You can use light or dark brown sugar.
- Granulated sugar
- Pumpkin puree – not pumpkin pie mix!
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Spices: Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice or you can use pumpkin pie spice if you don’t have all the individual ones, but I like adding them separately.
- All-purpose flour
How to Make Pumpkin Cupcakes
For this recipe feel free to use a hand mixer, stand mixer, or just mix the batter by hand with a spoon. Before you make the batter, line a cupcake pan with liners (this makes 12 cupcakes).
In a small bowl, whisk the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and flour.
In a large bowl, whisk the oil, both sugars, and pumpkin puree until smooth. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla, and then gently stir in dry ingredients until just combined.
Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full with batter. You will have enough batter to make twelve cupcakes.
Bake them at 350°F for 14 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cupcakes. Wait until the cupcakes are completely cooled before you frost them.
Best Frosting for Pumpkin Cupcakes
Cream Cheese Frosting is the PERFECT topping for these cupcakes. It’s creamy, a little tangy, and very easy to make.
Here what you will need to make it:
- Softened cream cheese
- Softened unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
Cream the cream cheese and butter together until the mixture is fluffy. Slowly add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until the frosting is smooth.
Decoration and Topping Ideas
Frosting: You can frost the cupcakes by spreading the frosting with a spatula. Or, use a 1M tip and pipe it to create a beautifully frosted treat.
Decorating: You can serve them plain or dress them up by adding a pumpkin candy corn as a decoration. You can also dust the frosting with ground cinnamon.
Should you refrigerate pumpkin spice cupcakes?
You can keep frosted cupcakes in the fridge for up to three days.
Can you freeze pumpkin cupcakes?
Yes, you can freeze them! Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, store them in a freezer container (unfrosted) and they will freeze really well.
Can you make cream cheese frosting ahead?
Yes, you can make it ahead and freeze it for later. Don’t frost the cupcakes, instead store the frosting in a separate container. Leave it at room temperature to thaw when you are ready to frost the cupcakes.
If you’ve been looking for a new fall dessert for holidays or events you have to give these a try. Everyone will love these homemade pumpkin cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting!
Other Favorite Pumpkin Recipes
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Pumpkin Cupcakes Recipe
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the Cupcakes:
- Note: You can use a hand or a stand mixer for this recipe, or just do it by hand.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cavity cupcake pan with liners.
- Whisk together baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and flour in a small bowl.
- Whisk oil, both sugars, and pumpkin until smooth in a large bowl. Whisk in eggs and vanilla, then gently stir in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fill cupcake pans 2/3 full, making 12 cupcakes. Bake about 14-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cupcakes. Cool before frosting.
- Make the Frosting:
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Frosting option: use a 1M tip for a beautiful cupcake.
- Topping suggestions: use a pumpkin candy corn or dust with cinnamon
- Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Cupcakes and frosting can be frozen separately.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
EASY Pumpkin Cupcakes with cream cheese icing is one of the best recipes for fall baking. These cupcakes are from scratch and super moist with the best frosting!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: October 22, 2020