This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Have you ever wondered how to make your own pumpkin pie spice? This easy DIY recipe is perfect for making a homemade pumpkin spice mix. I love this homemade spice blend – I use it all year long!
Table of Contents
Pumpkin Pie Spice Substitute
Have you ever wondered what to use if you don’t have pumpkin spice and a recipe calls for it?
This pumpkin pie spice recipe is such a basic one and it’s one that comes in handy this time of year. It will help you whenever you’re making a recipe that calls for the mixed spice but not individual ones.
There are lots of different recipes and ratios out there for this pie spice blend. This recipe is my favorite, and the one I always use.
What is in pumpkin pie spice?
- Ground Cinnamon – usually the largest of the ingredients
- Ground Ginger – usually the second most in the ratio
- Ground Nutmeg – buy it already ground for ease
- Ground Allspice or cloves – Sometimes you’ll see ground cloves instead of allspice but I absolutely love allspice in pumpkin (and gingerbread) treats. Allspice smells like fall and the holidays to me, so it wouldn’t be a pumpkin pie or dessert without it.
How to make Pumpkin Spice Mix
- Measure out your ingredients.
- Add them all to a jar and stir.
- Use as directed in recipes!
How to Store Homemade Pumpkin Spice
If you’re making this in bulk just add it to a jar or airtight container and keep it in a cabinet for up to a year. Spices last awhile – be sure to check the dates on the spices you use to make it to make sure they’re fresh when you start.
No, pumpkin pie spice is made up of 4-5 different spices.
Any of the spices listed will be in the spice aisle – usually the baking aisle – of the grocery store.
They are the same thing!
Homemade pumpkin pie spice often includes mace or cardamom. Just add a bit of those if you wish to do so.
DIY PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
FOR ONE TEASPOON PUMPKIN PIE SPICE:
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
FOR A LARGE BATCH OF PUMPKIN PIE SPICE:
- 1 cup ground cinnamon
- ½ cup ground ginger
- ¼ cup ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup ground allspice
- If you’re making a small batch for one recipe, just add all ingredients to whatever you’re making.
- To make enough to save and store, mix large batch ingredients in a jar. Stir to combine, seal and store in a cool, dry place for up to 4 months.
How to use your homemade spice:
- Pumpkin Spice Banana Bread has a it in the frosting too!
- Pumpkin Spice Snowballs are a fall version of a holiday favorite!
- Pumpkin Spice Popcorn is another way to have a PSL!
- Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles are my favorite!
- We love making Pumpkin Cookies all year long.
- Try this in my pumpkin snickerdoodles recipe!
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
Learn how to make Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice! This recipe shows you how to make 1 teaspoon, 1 tablespoon and a big batch to store. This is the perfect DIY pumpkin spice recipe.
Last Updated on October 13, 2022