My Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe is one of my absolute favorite fall desserts. I’ve been making variations of this bread for years and my family loves every single one! This version has a crunchy cinnamon sugar topping – it’s the perfect breakfast or snack during pumpkin season!
This post is sponsored by LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin, the brand of pumpkin I always choose and have been using since I was a kid.
I will never forget the first time I had pumpkin bread: I was a kid, probably around 10 years old. Someone gifted us a version of bread baked in a jar and we were equal parts intrigued and delighted because it was so good.
After that taste I started making my own pumpkin bread every year and this is my favorite recipe! It’s soft and moist and perfectly spiced with pumpkin pie spices. I make all sorts of versions of pumpkin bread, but this one is my favorite: it’s topped with cinnamon sugar. The crunchy topping is the perfect complement to the pumpkin flavor of the bread!
What can you make out of pumpkin (that’s not pie)?
We all think about pumpkin pie this time of year, but did you know there are so many other things to make with pumpkin? I’ve made bread, muffins, bars, cookies…there are so many different recipes you can make with canned pumpkin puree. Easy Pumpkin Bread is my absolute favorite!
What is canned pumpkin?
No matter what pumpkin recipe you decide to make, be sure to use the best canned pumpkin out there: LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin.
Canned pumpkin is just that: pure pumpkin in a can. They’ve taken all the work out of making puree for you! I’ve been using LIBBY’S® for my entire life: it’s always the can my mom bought when she was making our pumpkin pies.
What can you make with canned pumpkin?
Everyone thinks of pie this time of year and LIBBY’S® is the one I think of when I think of pie. Did you know that, for the first time in its history, LIBBY’S® Pumpkin is adding a NEW pumpkin pie recipe to it’s revamped label! It’s a creamier twist on the original, using sweetened condensed milk!
But pie is not just what you can use LIBBY’S® for – did you know you can:
- Replace eggs in baking (1 egg = 1/4 cup pumpkin puree)
- Replace oil/butter in baking (1 tablespoon oil/butter = 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree)
Pumpkin is also good in so many recipes…like Pumpkin Bread!
How do you make an easy pumpkin bread recipe?
This recipe is SO easy because you don’t need a mixer! It’s a stir-and-bake recipe, so it gets into the oven quick. (It’s why I love making my pumpkin bread recipe with oil: it stirs up fast!)
In order to ensure moist pumpkin bread you need:
- LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- Granulated sugar and brown sugar
- Baking Soda
- Pumpkin Spices
Buttermilk might sound like a strange ingredient, but I love it. I used it in my banana bread also – and it creates the perfect rise.
Don’t have buttermilk? You can make your own – learn how to make buttermilk here.
Once your ingredients are mixed you can decide if you want plain pumpkin bread or you can make pumpkin chocolate chip bread or add some other fun mix-ins. (I love adding chopped peanut butter cups!)
For this recipe, I mixed up some cinnamon sugar and topped the batter with it. It adds a nice crunchy top to the bread!
How do you know when pumpkin bread is done?
After mixing, simply bake the bread in an 8×4-inch or 9×5-inch baking pan. It will take about 40-50 minutes to bake, depending on the size of pan and your oven.
The bread will puff and rise. You know it’s done when you stick a toothpick in the center and it comes out with just a few crumbs sticking to it.
Do the toothpick trick in the crack of the bread to make sure the bread is done baking.PRO TIP
Why did my pumpkin bread fall?
Chances are, your bread fell after baking because it wasn’t baked enough. Make sure you do the toothpick test in the crack of the bread and that only a few crumbs stick to the toothpick.
Other variations of pumpkin bread:
I love making different versions of this easy pumpkin bread recipe!
- Add chopped peanut butter cups: Peanut Butter Cup Pumpkin Bread
- Add chocolate chips: Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Add frosting: Pumpkin Bread with Maple Glaze
- Make muffins! Easy Pumpkin Muffins
No matter what kind of pumpkin bread I make, I always use LIBBY’S® 100% Pumpkin!
Love pumpkin recipes? Try these using LIBBY’S®:
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Easy Pumpkin Bread
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pumpkin Puree
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5-inch or 8×4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Stir granulated sugar and brown sugar with oil and pumpkin. Stir in the eggs, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking soda. Stir until combined. Stir in buttermilk and flour.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Combine cinnamon and sugar for topping; sprinkle over bread.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. If you want it totally done (no gooey center), test it by inserting a toothpick just partway into the top center of the bread. If this comes out clean, it’s done. If you like a gooier center, remove it when testing it with at toothpick that way comes out with a little stuck to the top.
- Cool before removing from pan. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to one month.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
My easy pumpkin bread is the perfect way to use canned pumpkin – just don’t forget that cinnamon sugar topping!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: November 25, 2019