This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Once you try this chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe you will want to use it for all the cupcakes, cakes and desserts you make! This frosting is made from scratch with cocoa powder and is so easy to make.
People have asked me about adding chocolate to my cream cheese frosting recipe and THIS is how I do it!
Okay, you can stop searching now because you have landed on the best chocolate cream cheese frosting. Seriously! You won’t need to try any other frosting recipes because this one is THE ONE.
It’s easy to make, has the perfect texture that’s ideal for piping, and it tastes amazing. The combination of chocolate and cream cheese is perfect – there’s a hint of tanginess from the cheese and the rich chocolate flavor shines through.
It’s an easy cream cheese frosting with cocoa powder, Which means you don’t have to chop and melt chocolate. Which means it will not stress you out! It’s my go-to whenever I want a rich chocolate frosting for desserts.
Table of Contents
Easy Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting from Scratch
It starts with six ingredients:
- Softened cream cheese
- Softened unsalted butter
- Cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
It’s good to have some milk on hand, too, in case you need to thin the frosting. But this is optional (and most likely you won’t need it).
A Couple Tips:
- Be sure your cream cheese and butter are softened which means they’ve been left out at room temperature. Room temperature ingredients combine together better and will also ensure you don’t end up with lumps in your frosting.
- When you measure the powdered sugar use the spoon and level method. Avoid packing it into the measuring cup otherwise you will end up with more than what’s needed. So, lightly spoon it from the package to the cup and then use a dinner knife to level it off.
How to Make Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
First, cream the cream cheese, butter and sugar together until they are well combined and fluffy. Add the cocoa powder and mix until smooth. Mix in the salt and vanilla.
Slowly add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and mix until smooth. At this point, the frosting is ready and you should be able to easily spread it. If yours seems too thick, you can add up to one tablespoon of milk (do this one teaspoon at a time) until it reaches your desired consistency.
Transfer your frosting to a piping bag or use a knife to spread it on your cupcakes, cakes or whatever dessert you’re making.
What tastes better: buttercream or cream cheese frosting?
I think it depends on your own tastes and what type of dessert you are making! Buttercream has a richer buttery flavor and cream cheese frosting has that little bit of tanginess and is a little thicker and creamier.
Does chocolate cream cheese frosting need to be refrigerated?
Yes, it’s best to keep it refrigerated. It will keep well in the refrigerator for up to four days. You can make it ahead and frost your cake or cupcakes later or frost them right away and store them in the refrigerator.
You can also freeze it! Keep it in an airtight container. To thaw, just leave it at room temperature before frosting your dessert.
I can’t wait for you to try this chocolate cream cheese icing. I think you’ll find you don’t need any other recipes – this one’s a keeper! I know you will love it as much as I do.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Milk if needed for consistency
- Using a hand or a stand mixer, cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Mix in the cocoa until smooth. Mix in the salt and vanilla.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Mix until smooth. The frosting should be spreadable without milk, but if it seems too thick, you can add up to 1 tablespoon of milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting is the best frosting recipe for cupcakes, cake or cookies! This easy homemade frosting is from scratch with cocoa powder and cream cheese – it’s so good.
Last Updated on August 5, 2020