BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (seriously)
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This is the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe and the only basic cookie recipe you need, seriously. This ONE cookie recipe makes tons of other recipes and is SO GOOD.
(Well…except for this one. It’s pretty good too.)
Chocolate Chip Cookies: when you find a good one, it’s the unicorn of dessert recipes. There are so many recipes out there and I’m not gonna lie: most of them are meh.
Some of them are okay.
Some of them are not very good at all.
Some of them a great…but not OMG!
And the rest are just…meh.
THIS chocolate chip cookie recipe is the only one (of two) that you need. It’s soft and chewy, full of chocolate, with depth of flavor. They’re easy to make with no weird ingredients and you can change up the recipe to make any kind of cookie recipe you want.
I know, I know. I already have a BOMB-DIGGITTY chocolate chip cookie recipe. I do. It’s a copycat of that Doubletree recipe everyone loves and believe me, that recipe is TOP NOTCH. But it’s not a…regular chocolate chip cookie.
I put cookie recipes in three camps:
- Specialty and Holiday (like cutout sugar cookies or blueberry pie cookies)
- Unique or Single-Use Dough (aka BOM DOT COM) cookies (like the doubletree chocolate chip copycat or peanut butter snickerdoodles)
- Basic recipes that aren’t at all basic; these are the blueprint for a million other recipes.
These chocolate chip cookies are #3: they’re just a basic recipe. And that’s okay, because basic recipes taste amazing (ahem: soft AND chewy sugar cookies) but they can also be turned into SO MANY other recipes.
For years I’ve been making a version of this cookie recipe. I’ve changed it here and there, to make Kit Kat Cookies or Chocolate Chip Cookie Gooey Bars. I’ve added Reese’s Pieces to them and stuffed them with peanut butter cups.
I finally decided I needed to sit down and formalize my favorite (and most versatile) chocolate chip cookie recipe and post it for you. And this is it
The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe that you’ll make over and over for years to come!
How do you make the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Let’s talk about cookie science and break down all the components of this recipe.
What kind of butter makes the best chocolate chip cookies?
I use unsalted butter in all my cookie recipes, unless otherwise specified. I like being able to control the amount of salt added. But you can also use salted butter, just cut down on the added salt. The rule of thumb is 1/2 cup salted butter = 1/4 teaspoon salt. So, in this recipe, if you’re using salted butter, reduce the salt by 1/4 teaspoon.
Here’s the most important thing: use MELTED butter in these cookies. Melted butter, when combined with the sugars, makes a toffee-like flavor. Plus, I think it adds a depth of flavor and also adds to the texture of the cookie.
What kind of flour do you use in a chocolate chip cookie?
This recipe uses all-purpose flour. For the best results, use that.
If you’re trying to substitute gluten-free flour, it will change the texture of the cookie. I’ve substituted that flour in many recipes with success, but not in cookies.
Do I have to chill the dough?
YES. YES YOU DO.
Chilling the dough does a few things to this cookie recipe:
- Allows the butter to solidify again, ensuring your cookies don’t spread too thin.
- Allows for a chewier outside AND soft inside.
- Allows the flavors to develop as they sit.
Don’t skip chilling. Just don’t.
Pro tip: scoop the cookie dough balls BEFORE chilling. The dough is easier to scoop that way!
What kind of chocolate makes the best chocolate chip cookies?
Whatever kind YOU like, of course. BUT…
Use a good chocolate chip, okay? Stop buying the store brand, unless it’s Trader Joe’s. Trader Joe’s chocolate chips are by far my favorite, with Guittard or Guiradelli being a close second and third.
Mini chocolate chips make every bite chocolatey.
You can also mix up the chips: use some white, some milk, some dark. Do what you like most!
These cookies are perfect from the oven or perfect cooled to room temperature. They store easily, ship easily, and freeze well.
Good luck just eating one!
BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup (66 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (104g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (186g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (255g) chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk)
- Note: This dough requires chilling.
- Place melted butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl if using a hand mixer). Add granulated and brown sugars and mix on low speed until the mixture is smooth. Mix in egg and vanilla extract and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Mix in baking soda and salt, then slowly mix in flour and mix just until the batter is smooth and comes together. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during mixing. Slowly mix in chocolate chips.
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Scoop 2 tablespoon balls of dough onto the cookie sheet. Spacing doesn’t matter because you will be chilling the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a second cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Remove the chilled cookie dough balls from the refrigerator and space them 2-inches apart on the cookie sheets. Bake (2 tablespoon sized cookies) for 11-15 minutes, or until the edges are a light golden and the tops are no longer glossy. Let cool on the cookie sheets at least 10 minutes before removing.
Try using white chocolate chips or a combination of milk, semi-sweet, and white chocolate chips instead of all one flavor. You can even substitute butterscotch or peanut butter chips, or add your favorite nuts. Just keep the amount of add-ins to 1 1/2 cups
Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie is a good way to use up your cookies!
Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars take cookies to a whole new level!
Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Gooey Bars have OREOS inside!
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**