Jul 02

Ice Cream Cupcakes

You know what’s better than a scoop of ice cream next to a cupcake?

A scoop of ice cream that comes inside a cupcake.

Stuffed things are always better – always.

Ice Cream Cupcakes - put the ice cream inside the cupcake! Use your favorite flavors for endless combinations.

Last month a friend of mine shared a photo on my Facebook wall. The photo was originally from Duncan Hines (I think) but it was a photo of a cupcake with ice cream stuffed inside. She asked if I could teach her how to make them for her son’s birthday.

I did one better than that. I made them for her – and for you. This way you can make your own ice cream stuffed cupcakes too!

Because there is nothing better than dessert stuffed in dessert. Ever since Jenny first stuffed an Oreo inside a chocolate chip cookie, we bloggers have been obsessed with the two-in-one treat.

Hmmm, that concept sounds familiar. Oh yes, it’s another way of saying “dessert mash-up” which I’m very familiar with. I wrote a whole book on dessert mash-ups, out this fall.

Anyway, let’s get back to the matter at hand: a cupcake stuffed with ice cream. I mean, it’s kind of genius. Think about it: a birthday party without an ice cream scoop. No more “he got more ice cream than I did!!!”

It’s the perfect single serving dessert for when you want a cupcake…and ice cream too.

And the flavor combos. Oh. My. Gosh. Think of the possibilities!

Ice Cream Cupcakes

The birthday boy requested chocolate cupcakes with vanilla ice cream. I’m me, so I offered to stir some sprinkles into the vanilla ice cream because everything is better with sprinkles.

Once you know the method for how to make an ice cream cupcake, you can make whatever flavor you want. You can use a box mix or you can make them from scratch.

I bet there are a gazillion combinations of ice cream cupcake you could make. And that number is probably accurate because I majored in math and know all about probability.

{It’s true! I’m a total math geek, but probability and statistics were my least favorite class. My favorite? Non-Euclidean Geometry. Yes, really, that’s a thing.}

Okay so let’s start thinking of combinations:

Chocolate cupcakes and mint ice cream

Vanilla cupcakes and coffee ice cream

Lemon cupcakes and lemon ice cream

Peanut butter cupcakes and peanut butter cheesecake ice cream

Funfetti cupcakes and brownie batter ice cream

And…about a gazillion more. Basically, what I’m trying to say is…go find your two favorites and pair them together.

Okay, so are you ready to learn how to make these ice cream cupcakes? Let’s get started!

Ice Cream Cupcakes (1 of 9)

Start with 24 baked and cooled cupcakes. Box or scratch, it doesn’t matter. These are my favorite chocolate cupcakes.

Cut a circle in the top about the size of a half dollar. Cut down deep and dig out a chunk of cake. It may be cone shaped.

Ice Cream Cupcakes (2 of 9)

Then, cut off the end of what came out of the cupcake. Remember – ice cream is going in that hole. Not all the cupcake is going to fit back inside, so you need to get rid of it. Or eat it.

I suggest you prepare all your cupcakes, then place a cookie sheet topped with wax paper in your freezer. Work in batches for the next step (about 3-4 cupcakes per batch) so that the ice cream doesn’t melt.

Ice Cream Cupcakes (3 of 9)

Place your ice cream inside the cupcake hole. I stirred some sprinkles into my ice cream first to make it prettier. :)

Ice Cream Cupcakes (4 of 9)

Then top it with the top and place them in the freezer. You can wrap the cookie sheet with plastic wrap and freeze over night, or place these in a ziploc bag and freeze for up to 1 month. That’s the best kind of do-ahead I can ask for!

Now, you’re probably thinking what about frosting? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered there too. I topped mine with a dollop of Cool Whip before serving, but you can use your favorite frosting. The birthday boy who got these cupcakes requested vanilla so I made him a batch of the perfect vanilla frosting that goes with my vanilla cupcakes. Just have your frosting ready to go and frost right before serving.

It makes these have way more combinations than a gazillion. We have to add another layer to that takes it up to a quadrillion, I think.

These are perfect for any birthday, the 4th of July, or a random Wednesday.

Because cupcakes and ice cream are always a good thing.

Especially when they’re together, mash-up style!

Ice Cream Cupcakes

Yield: 24 ice cream cupcakes

Ice Cream Cupcakes

Cupcakes and ice cream all in one! It's easy to fill your favorite cupcakes with your favorite ice cream to make one easy to serve and eat party treat. The method is super easy - and the options for flavor combinations are endless! Use your favorite flavors to make your favorite ice cream cupcake!

• 24 cupcakes, baked and cooled (from a box mix or from scratch - this is my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe)
  • 1/2 carton (about .75 quart) ice cream
  • 1/4 cup sprinkles, if desired
  • Cool Whip, fresh whipped cream, or your favorite frosting (chocolate or vanilla)

1. Start with 24 cupcakes that have been baked and completely cooled. You can use your favorite flavor box mix, or your favorite from scratch recipe. (Consider using my chocolate cupcakes or vanilla cupcakes if you want a from scratch cupcake.) Place the cupcakes on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Make room for a second cookie sheet lined with wax paper in your freezer.
  2. For sprinkle filled ice cream: scoop half of a 1.5Q container of ice cream into a bowl and let it soften for a few minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup sprinkles, then place the bowl back in the freezer to firm up while you prepare the cupcakes. Otherwise, just have your favorite flavor ice cream in the freezer and ready to go.
  3. To prep the cupcakes: use a pairing knife to cut a large circle (about the size of a half dollar) in the top of the cupcake. Cut down almost to the bottom of the cupcake, then lift out the cut part. You should end up with a cone shaped chunk of cake. Slice the cone off of each of the cupcake pieces. (You need to make the piece of cake smaller, because the cupcake will be filled with ice cream.)
  4. I suggest you prepare all the cupcakes for the ice cream, then place your second cookie sheet in the freezer. Work in batches of 3-4 cupcakes, filling with ice cream, then placing on the cookie sheet that’s in the freezer. That way the ice cream won’t melt out of the cupcakes.
  5. Scoop about 1-2 tablespoons of ice cream into the center of each cupcake. Place the top back on and press gently. Put the cupcake on the cookie sheet in the freezer. Continue until all the cupcakes are filled and in the freezer.
  6. Cover the cupcakes with plastic wrap (leaving them on the cookie sheet) and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving. You can place them (frozen) in a single layer in large Ziploc bags and freeze for up to 1 month before serving.
  7. When ready to serve, have your frosting or a thawed carton of Cool Whip ready. Remove a cupcake from the freezer, frost as desired, and serve immediately. (For an amazing chocolate frosting recipe try this one or for vanilla, this is my favorite.

Notes

You can use a box mix or a from scratch recipe for all the components in this recipe. Peruse my cupcake and frosting recipes and pick through my favorite ice creams to get your favorite combo!

Find your favorite flavor cupcake and then pair it with some ice cream!

The Best Chocolate Cupcakes

best-chocolate-cupcakes (7 of 9)

Perfect Funfetti Cupcakes

Perfect Funfetti Cupcakes (8 of 10)w

Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes

Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes (2 of 6)w

Mint Chip Milkshake Cupcakes

mint-chocolate-milkshake-cupcakes (3 of 7)w

Perfect Lemon Cupcakes

Lemon Cupcakes (9 of 13)

Coke Float Cupcakes by The Domestic Rebel
Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirled Cupcakes by Two in the Kitchen
Peanut Butter Cup Banana Cupcakes by Something Swanky

43 Responses to “Ice Cream Cupcakes”

1. Holly Waterfall posted on July 2, 2014 at 3:34 am (#)

You’re right Dorothy, ice cream in cupcakes really is genius! Is it bad that I want one of these for breakfast?? Or that I’m daydreaming about the flavor combinations at 4am??

2. Mir posted on July 2, 2014 at 4:22 am (#)

Oh my goodness! You did NOT. This is the best idea ever! Everything is better with a giant glob of ice cream in the middle!

3. Lauren at Keep It Sweet posted on July 2, 2014 at 4:23 am (#)

I love these! So nice that you made them for your friend, you can be my friend any day:-)

4. Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness posted on July 2, 2014 at 4:40 am (#)

I have a big ol carton of funfetti ice cream that is BEGGING to be stuffed into a cupcake. I love ice cream with my cake…but I love it even more INSIDE.
    I am in love with this recipe. Pinned!

5. Shannon @ Bake.Frost.Repeat. posted on July 2, 2014 at 5:12 am (#)

YES!! Everything about this screams YES!!!! Pinning!!

6. Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice posted on July 2, 2014 at 5:15 am (#)

Stuffed things are ALWAYS better, Dorothy! These cupcakes are little beauties! Love this recipe!

7. Tieghan posted on July 2, 2014 at 5:29 am (#)

Oh my goodness! I love these! What a great idea and so fun for Summer!

8. Denise | Sweet Peas & Saffron posted on July 2, 2014 at 6:10 am (#)

Oh my gosh, I’m obsessed with these! They are just gorgeous. Ice cream + cupcakes = genius :)

9. Monica posted on July 2, 2014 at 6:56 am (#)

This is ‘the bomb’! Love, love this…great for kids, great for summer. Who wouldn’t love it!! Great idea!

10. Beth @ bethcakes posted on July 2, 2014 at 7:19 am (#)

So, my jaw just hit the floor. Ice cream IN the cupcakes! What a fantastic idea! Stuffed things are definitely always better. Endless possibilities! :)

11. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on July 2, 2014 at 8:02 am (#)

My mind is now racing with all of the possibilities! Such a great idea!

12. Matt Robinson posted on July 2, 2014 at 8:53 am (#)

These are so fun, my boys would go crazy for them!

13. Ashley Urke | Domestic Fashionista posted on July 2, 2014 at 9:48 am (#)

These look amazing Dorothy!

14. Amanda posted on July 2, 2014 at 9:52 am (#)

What a fun idea!! Gotta make these!! :)

15. Kelly - Life Made Sweeter posted on July 2, 2014 at 11:16 am (#)

Oh my gosh, love this Dorothy! You combined my two fave desserts and totally agree, stuffed things are always better! This is the best idea ever – pinning!

16. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on July 2, 2014 at 11:52 am (#)

These cupcakes are adorable! And such a fun idea! I’m loving the funfetti and brownie batter combo…mmmmm…

17. Renee @ Two in the Kitchen posted on July 2, 2014 at 12:12 pm (#)

This. Is. Brilliant!!

ps….. Thanks so much for including my pb swirled cupcakes Dorothy! :)

18. Julia posted on July 2, 2014 at 12:15 pm (#)

“Because cupcakes and ice cream are always a good thing”. Words to live by!! And it’s so true about the online obsession with combining desserts. There are so many ways to combine things, and stuff things inside other things. The possibilities are endless!

19. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on July 2, 2014 at 12:33 pm (#)

This was NOT an easy recipe to shoot with the melty factor and the filling and getting all those domed tops right off but you totally nailed it and these are gorgeous – idea and images! I’d love a few :) Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 2nd, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Oh my gosh shooting frozen is the bane of my existence!!!! Thanks so much Averie!

20. Heather @ French Press posted on July 2, 2014 at 4:13 pm (#)

AMAZING! I can see some ice cream cupcakes in my future :)

21. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on July 2, 2014 at 4:34 pm (#)

such a TASTY mashup idea!!! So clever! I bet these would be extra perfect for any child’s birthday party!

22. Leslie posted on July 2, 2014 at 5:30 pm (#)

Pinning! Yum! Ice done this once before forever ago for a birthday party but totally forgot about it.

23. Jaren (Diary of a Recipe Collector) posted on July 2, 2014 at 6:44 pm (#)

Simply GENIUS!! Pinned!

24. BakingTray posted on July 2, 2014 at 10:01 pm (#)

awesome idea!!! Icecream and cupcakes :D!! better still.. icecram INSIDE the cupcake!

25. Laurie F. posted on July 2, 2014 at 10:37 pm (#)

Wow, with your photography skills and talent, you could make brussel sprouts and lima beans look scrumptious! How fun would these be at a birthday party!?

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 3rd, 2014 at 6:49 am

The boys at the party loved them! I may have to make more for the girls. :)

26. Jennie @themessybakerblog posted on July 3, 2014 at 6:57 am (#)

For the love of everything delicious in this world, this treat looks amazing. I want to do a face plant into this cupcake. So genius! Pinned.

27. Kristyn posted on July 3, 2014 at 8:10 am (#)

These are ADORABLE… AND they look delicious!! :)

28. Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} posted on July 3, 2014 at 1:23 pm (#)

Wow! This is one of the best stuffing ideas I think I’ve ever seen. So perfect for summer, and when you want cake.. no, ice cream… no, cake – let’s have both! :D

And how did I not know you had a book coming out? Maybe I did, then thought it was someone else, but I’m so happy for you. If I ship a copy to you, would you be able to sign it for me?

29. Shannon posted on July 3, 2014 at 1:37 pm (#)

Thank you so much for making these for Jake’s birthday! They were delicious! The boys loved them! One day I’ll attempt to make them on my own. Thanks again and happy to see that you were able to use them on your blog!

30. Krys posted on July 4, 2014 at 1:15 am (#)

Yes, a million times yes! I’m so glad I stumbled upon this, on a Friday no less! I have big plans for this weekend…

31. Kate @ Diethood posted on July 4, 2014 at 8:15 am (#)

Oh goodness, those are awesome!! I’m not a cupcake girl at all, but once I bit into an ice cream cupcake, I was sold!

32. marcie posted on July 4, 2014 at 8:57 am (#)

Dorothy, these are so adorable! I love a good cupcake, especially one filled with ice cream! :)

33. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen posted on July 4, 2014 at 2:21 pm (#)

OMG girl, these are just….WOW!! Can I order like 100?!

34. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on July 4, 2014 at 11:30 pm (#)

Dorothy. This is SO brilliant!! I just may have to try this myself this summer… And credit you as my inspiration, of course! I’m on an ice cream kick (I actually just finished eating an ice cream sandwich while reading this blog post), and I’ve been having some every night… Stuffing it inside of a cupcake just sounds 100x better!

35. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on July 6, 2014 at 11:45 am (#)

I like to think of myself as an ultimate cupcake lover. This my friend is awesome.

36. Krystle(Baking Beauty) posted on July 7, 2014 at 8:43 pm (#)

This is such a brilliant idea! Super cute and way better than scooping ice cream at birthday parties!

37. Pingback: What I’m Craving + Scrumptious Hyperlinks | Posts

38. Heather posted on July 15, 2014 at 7:37 am (#)

How wonderful! You’re right, the choices are endless!

39. Pingback: Ice Cream Cupcakes | Food Stalker