This is the BEST Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe you’ll ever make. It’s soft and chewy and full of peanut butter flavor. It’s a classic – and it’s my husband’s favorite cookie!
You can make easy cookies like this from scratch in NO TIME at all – just mix and bake. Your family will love them as much as mine does.
Can we talk for a minute about kids getting older? Man, it’s hard.
When you have an infant or a toddler or even a little and you see older ladies at the store and they’re all “enjoy this time it goes by so fast!” all you want to do is roll your eyes and be all, yeah mmm-hmmm just give me that older kid please so I can sleep through the night!
Kids change every day – but one thing that doesn’t change? Our love of cookies! I’ve made hundreds of peanut butter cookie recipes over the years and most of them stem from THIS basic recipe.
That’s right: this cookie recipe has spawned dozens of others. That’s why I’m proclaiming it to be the BEST peanut butter cookie recipe ever!
Really – it is. I’ve got so many other forms of this cookie: stuffed cookies, cookie cake, cookie pie, gooey bars. I figured it was about time I posted the basic good old fashioned peanut butter cookies I base all those recipes on.
Learn how to make the best peanut butter cookies!
Peanut butter cookies are probably the kind of cookie I make the most. After all, they’re the only kind Mel will eat. I love making them because they’re easy and don’t need any chill time. Plus, it’s easy to dress up a peanut butter cookie:
And so many more ideas!
These classic peanut butter cookies are easy and the best base for any other cookie creation.
Ingredients in my favorite cookie recipe:
- Unsalted Butter. Sometimes you see that peanut butter cookie recipes call for shortening. While you can easily substitute shortening for the butter, I prefer the flavor that the butter lends to the cookie. It makes it a bit more light and fluffy too.
- Peanut Butter. It’s the most important part! For this recipe, use a regular no-stir peanut butter you can get at the regular grocery store. Forego natural peanut butter unless you’re using a no-stir natural (like Jif or Skippy). Use crunchy for some extra texture!
- Brown sugar. This cookie recipe is FULL of brown sugar. I love using brown sugar in cookies so much more than granulated. While this recipe has both kinds of sugar, the brown sugar keeps the cookies soft. You can make peanut butter cookies without brown sugar but I don’t recommend it.
The rest of the ingredients are normal for a peanut butter cookie: baking soda, salt, flour, egg, milk. Like I said, this is a basic peanut butter cookie recipe, but it’s anything BUT: it’s the best ever cookie recipe!
I also have a recipe for three ingredient peanut butter cookies, if you prefer those!
Why we love these cookies:
Another good thing about these cookies? They don’t need to be chilled! Since they don’t flatten much (because, science), you don’t have to wait to have the best peanut butter cookies ever.
Why do peanut butter cookies have fork marks?
Have you ever wondered why there are hash marks (or criss cross marks) on PB cookies? It’s because adding peanut butter makes them not spread as much, so the fork criss cross was to help the cookies flatten and bake evenly.
How do you tell if peanut butter cookies are done?
You can tell these cookies are done because they are no longer glossy. They don’t brown much but become dull instead of shiny.
Be sure to read my guide on how to tell when your cookies are done baking!
How do you store peanut butter cookies? How long do they last?
Store cookies in an airtight container on the counter. They’ll be soft for at least 3-4 days, if you haven’t over baked them.
You can also freeze cookies. I freeze them in airtight containers or sealable bags for up to one month. Read how I freeze all my desserts!
You can also turn these cookies into:
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Peanut Butter Cookie Cake
- Rolo Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Gooey Bars
- All my peanut butter cookie recipes!
These go great on a cookie platter with:
- The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Soft Sugar Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Stuffed Oatmeal Cookies
- I can’t wait to try these chocolate peanut cookies!
Be sure to check out a roundup of PB cookies!
THE BEST PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE RECIPE
- 1/2 cup 113g unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup 213g creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup 138g light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup 50g granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon 5ml vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 15ml milk
- 1/2 teaspoon 3g baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cup 248g all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Place butter and peanut butter in a large bowl. Using a hand or a stand mixer, mix until combined then add both sugars. Cream until smooth. Mix in egg, vanilla, and milk and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Mix in baking soda and salt, then slowly mix in flour and mix just until the batter is smooth and comes together. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during mixing.
- Scoop 2 tablespoon balls of dough and place 2-inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Using a fork, create a criss cross pattern on the cookies to flatten slightly. (Tip: if the dough starts sticking to the fork, dip it in a bit of granulated sugar.)
- Bake for 9-13 minutes, or until the edges are just golden brown and the tops are no longer glossy. Cool on cookie sheets at least 10 minutes before removing.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
This recipe is my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe. I hope it will be yours too!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: July 30, 2018