This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This is the BEST recipe for Funfetti Cupcakes! This easy cupcake recipe is homemade – never use a box mix again! This really is the PERFECT Funfetti Cupcake Recipe and it’s so much fun to switch up the color of sprinkles you use.
We absolutely love this recipe and I know you will too – it’s amazing with my homemade buttercream!
How to make Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe Video
Why We Love These Cupcakes
I’ve been making these funfetti cupcakes for years! I first posted them after Jordan’s 9th birthday where I served them with cotton candy ice cream. Ah, kids, right? Now, Jordan doesn’t love cupcakes, but I do. And when they have sprinkles? Even better!
- Funfetti cupcakes are fun sprinkles cupcakes that are perfect for any occasion!
- Use any color sprinkles for any holiday or party
- The cupcakes are soft and moist
- The frosting is fluffy and perfect
Table of Contents
- How to make Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe Video
- Why We Love These Cupcakes
- What are Funfetti Cupcakes?
- Ingredients in Funfetti Cupcakes
- What kind of sprinkles should I use?
- How to make Funfetti Cupcakes
- How to Frost Funfetti Cupcakes
- How to Store Cupcakes
- Variations & Substitutions
- Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe Recipe
What are Funfetti Cupcakes?
Funfetti Cupcakes are a fun new way to make simple yellow cupcakes. Vanilla cupcakes filled with sprinkles are perfect for any party and it’s easy to change up the colors depending on what you’re celebrating.
You may also see these referred to as confetti cupcakes – that’s because the makers of cake mix created the idea of sprinkles in cupcakes and they called them confetti! They both mean the same thing: sprinkles in cupcakes!
Ingredients in Funfetti Cupcakes
You just need a few simple ingredients to make cupcakes from scratch:
- Salt, Baking Powder, All-Purpose Flour: these are typical cupcake ingredients and we whisk them together
- Butter: use unsalted butter and I start with it melted to keep the cupcakes moist
- Sugar, eggs, and vanilla: also typical cake ingredients
- Buttermilk: I like adding buttermilk to cake recipes for a little extra flavor and moistness. Don’t have buttermilk? Make your own.
- Sprinkles: it wouldn’t be funfetti confetti cupcakes without SPRINKLES!
What kind of sprinkles should I use?
My favorite sprinkles are rainbow jimmies. I buy them in tubs at Walmart (they’re made by Cake Mate). I also buy them in bulk on Amazon (see my link to my Sprinkle Shop below.)
You can also use nonpareils in these cupcakes, but I don’t recommend it. Sometimes nonpareils dissolve in batter.
- TIP: Whatever sprinkles you choose, don’t go the cheap route. The cheaper the sprinkle, the more likely they are to dissolve in the cake batter. (Same goes for vegan sprinkles and homemade sprinkles.)
How to make Funfetti Cupcakes
1. Prepare: preheat the oven and line your pans with cupcake liners.
2. Dry Ingredients: Whisk salt, baking powder, and flour in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
3. Wet Ingredients: Using a hand mixer, cream sugar into melted butter until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then mix in vanilla extract.
4. Mix: Add dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour, mixing gently between each addition. Mix until just combined. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl. Stir in sprinkles.
5. Bake: Pour batter into prepared pans and bake as directed. Cool completely before removing and frosting.
With this Funfetti Cupcake recipe you’ll never want to use a box mix again!
How to Frost Funfetti Cupcakes
These simple cupcakes could be frosted with almost any kind of frosting. Homemade frosting is SO GOOD.
I love vanilla buttercream frosting on Funfetti Cupcakes the most, but you can also use:
My secret for making the best frostings: use heavy whipping cream! It’s genius and it makes it so creamy and rich.
My favorite frosting tip is the 1M. It gives those pretty swirls and it’s pretty much the only tip I use. Top these cupcakes with a liberal coating of more sprinkles and you have the best funfetti cupcakes ever.
How to Store Cupcakes
Storing: Once they’re made, store them in the refrigerator loosely covered but let them come to room temperature before serving.
You can make the frosting ahead of time, up to a day before, and store it in the refrigerator. Just let it come to room temperature before frosting. (And if you’re like me and forget to take it out, you can heat it in the microwave on 5-10 second increments, stirring between each, until it’s smooth enough to spread.)
Freezing: Freeze unfrosted cupcakes in large gallon size resealable bags for up to 2 months. You can also freeze the frosting in an airtight container. Freeze frosted cupcakes in an airtight container.
Variations & Substitutions
- Funfetti Cupcakes with filling – turn these into piñata cupcakes or fill them with whipped cream.
- You can make these dairy-free funfetti cupcakes by using vegetable oil and non-dairy milk instead of butter and buttermilk in the cupcake. Leave them plain or make frosting with vegan (non-dairy) butter sticks.
- Use different color sprinkles for different occasions.
My cupcake recipe stays super fluffy and moist thanks to the buttermilk and melted butter. Be sure to measure your flour correctly and don’t over bake!
Yes! This recipe will make 75 mini cupcakes. Half the recipe to make less.
Yes you can bake this cake in two 9-inch rounds, three 8-inch rounds or a 9×13-inch pan.
This is an easy recipe to cut in half – it totally works!
Other Funfetti Recipes you’ll love:
Other fun birthday cupcake recipes:
Visit my Amazon Sprinkle Shop for all my favorite sprinkles to use in recipes!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe
For the Cake:
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ½ cups (310g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 cup sprinkles jimmies
For the frosting:
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups (452g) powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cupcake pans with liners.
- Whisk salt, baking powder, and flour in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer, cream sugar into melted butter until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then mix in vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour, mixing gently between each addition. Mix until just combined. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl. Stir in sprinkles.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake as directed. Cool completely before removing and frosting.
- Bake Time: 24 cupcakes: 14-17 minutes // Two 8-inch or 9-inch round pans: 24-27 minutes // 9×13-inch pan: 30-40 minutes // 75 mini cupcakes: 13-16 minutes
For the frosting:
- Beat butter until smooth with a hand or a stand mixer. Note: if you’re using a hand mixer be sure to use a very large bowl to avoid wearing the powdered sugar.
- Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and beat on medium speed until crumbly. Mix in salt and vanilla.
- Add 1 tablespoon of heavy whipping cream at a time, mixing between each addition, until the frosting is smooth and the desirable consistency.
- Frost cupcakes as desired.
- For best results, use jimmies for sprinkles. Wilton or CK or Cakemate are good brands to use and don’t dissolve. Do not use nonpareils – they dissolve in batter.
- Store in the refrigerator but enjoy room temperature.
- Cupcakes and frosting can be frozen separately for up to 2 months. Thaw to assemble.
- Use your favorite color sprinkles to mix it up!
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
Check out all my funfetti recipes!
Last Updated on May 6, 2021