This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Salted Caramel Apple Pie is the best fall or Thanksgiving dessert made from scratch! It has a fresh apple pie filling, cinnamon, and salted caramel sauce. It’s basically an easy apple pie dressed up with salted caramel. This pie is an EPIC one – you’re going to love it.
Table of Contents
Easy Caramel Apple Pie
This salted caramel apple pie takes a classic pie recipe and gives it a big upgrade! Apples and caramel are the perfect match and using them both to make a pie is seriously good. It’s basically a fall dessert dream! What’s great about this recipe is that it can be as involved or as easy as you want it to be!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- You can make it completely from scratch with my best all-butter pie crust and homemade salted caramel.
- You can use your favorite store-bought pie dough and jarred caramel sauce and skip making them yourself.
- Or, you can skip the top crust and make a Dutch caramel apple pie recipe with buttery, crunchy crumble topping.
Ingredients in Apple Caramel Pie
- Crust – use double my all butter pie crust recipe for the top and bottom crust or buy a package of semi-homemade refrigerated crusts.
- Apples – I love using granny smith apples for apple pie, but you can also use your favorite flavor (honeycrisp or fuji would be delicious too).
- Cinnamon – all apple pies need ground cinnamon!
- Salted Caramel Sauce – use my salted caramel recipe or my homemade caramel sauce or use a semi-homemade jarred version.
How to Make a Lattice Pie Crust
Learn how to make a lattice pie crust in this easy tutorial! A lattice pie crust is a pretty decorative pie crust for any pie. This easy photo and video tutorial will teach you how to make this pretty decorative basket weave on top of a pie! PIN IT NOW TO SAVE FOR LATER Lattice…
How to Make Caramel Apple Pie
- Peel and core the apples and then cut them into thin slices. I like to cook my apples before putting them in the pie, that way they are assured to be soft and NOT chewy or crunchy. I cannot stand apples in pie that are crunchy! Drain the apples really well.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with one pie crust and chill it and the second crust until after you add the filling. If you are making a crumble topping, you won’t need the second crust.
- Place the cooled apples in the pie crust.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over the top.
- Pour the caramel sauce evenly over the top of the apples.
- Cover the pie with the other pie crust. You can use the whole round and cut slits in the top or create a lattice top it you prefer. If using the crumble, just sprinkle it over the top.
- Make a crumble topping for a Dutch Caramel Apple Pie Recipe
- Skip the lattice and make a double crust pie instead!
- Make a sweeter pie by adding 1/4 cup granulated sugar or brown sugar to the apples with the cinnamon.
- Caramel Options – I have lots of caramel recipes! 3 Ingredient Caramel Sauce, Pumpkin Caramel Sauce or Cinnamon Caramel Sauce would be great in this pie.
- To keep the edges from browning too quickly, cover the outer edge of the crust with thin strips of aluminum foil or use a pie crust shield.
- This recipe is best baked in a 9-inch pie pan.
- You don’t need any flour for this pie – it’ll be solid just fine without it.
Bake it at 425°F for 10 minutes and then lower the oven temperature to 350°F. Bake it 30 to 40 minutes. Remove the crust shield in the last 15 minutes of the baking time. Cool the pie before slicing and serving.
I would not be mad at you for adding generous dollops of whipped cream or scoops of ice cream for each serving. Go ahead and drizzle some more of that salted caramel sauce over the top, too!
You can make this pie up to a day in advance. Just be sure to fully cool the pie first and then cover it before you put in the refrigerator.
You can freeze the baked pie for up to a month. Just wrap it well with plastic wrap.
You can keep it out at room temperature for up to two days. Or keep it in the refrigerator for up to four days. Just keep it covered.
I always pre-cook my apples for pie. By par-boiling the apples for a few minutes you get them to start softening so they’re nice and soft in the pie.
Have you made this recipe?
Give it a star rating and a review below!
Salted Caramel Apple Pie Recipe
- Roll out one pie crust according to recipe or package directions and place in your 9″ pie plate. Refrigerate until ready to use. Roll out second pie crust and set aside.
- Peel and core the apples, then slice into thin slices. I like using my apple peeler for this step. Place one inch of water in the bottom of a large pot. Add apples and cook, stirring occasionally, approximately 3-5 minutes after water boils, or just until the apples start to turn the slightest bit opaque.
- Drain apples very well. Let them sit in the strainer for a few minutes to cool, then place them in pie crust.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over apples then pour caramel evenly over the top.
- Top with second pie crust and crimp edges, then cut slits to vent pie. Cover outer edge of crust with thin strips of foil or a pie crust shield.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes then lower the oven temperature to 350°F for 30-40 minutes. Remove pie crust shield during the last 15 minutes of baking to ensure that the crust browns.
- Pie may be made a day in advance. Refrigerate overnight. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
My other favorite Apple Recipes
- Snickerdoodle Apple Cobbler
- Apple Fritter Bread
- Apple Fritter Cinnamon Roll Bake
- Dutch Apple Pie
- Apple Danish
This Salted Caramel Apple Pie Recipe is completely from scratch and so easy! The filling recipe has homemade caramel and you can even make this a dutch apple pie with crumb topping.
Last Updated on November 4, 2022