Today’s tutorial is all about how to make a Double Crust Pie recipe! I’m showing you how I make my All Butter Pie Crust and turn it into a 2 crust pie, but you can use ANY pie crust recipe with this method.
Sometimes you want two crusts on your pie, but knowing some tips and tricks for success are important for the perfect pies.
There are three main ways you make a pie: with a crumble topping, lattice top, or as a double crust pie.
Double crust pies are the easiest ones to make, obviously, because it’s just two crusts put together. But sometimes it can be daunting to get started so today I’m going to show you exactly how I make my two crust pies in the most basic way.
Table of Contents
Best Pie Crust Recipe
You need to start with a pie crust. I always use my all butter pie crust recipe for my homemade pies.
The recipe, as written, makes one perfect pie crust, so when making a two crust pie you need to double the recipe:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, diced
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 3-4 tablespoons ice water
It’s important all your ingredients are cold when you start. Cold ingredients = flakier pie crust.
As detailed in my pie crust tutorial you can make this by hand or with a food processor.
Once you have your big ball of pie dough, then it’s time to start making your double crust pie!
Creating your Double Crust Pie
First, cut your pie dough into two parts.
Roll out one half of the dough into a thin large circle. I like to do this my super special way: between wax paper so I don’t have to chill it first.
Place the pie crust in a pie plate and allow the edges to hang over. Chill.
Roll out the second crust – you can see here how I roll it between wax paper and my silicone pie mat. Chill while you make your pie filling.
Assembling your Pie
Then fill your pie as desired and place the chilled top crust over the top.
Because this crust is made with all butter, it will warm up quickly allowing you to crimp the edges as desired. Seal the two pieces together – fold the bottom and top crust together – and then crimp.
Cutting the Top Crust
It is VERY important that you cut slits in your pie crust for air to escape. Otherwise it’ll blow up like a balloon!
You can also make this into a decorative pie crust by using cookie cutters or cutting shapes instead of just plain slits.
Will the crust brown?
To get your crust nice and golden, brush it with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
How to bake a double crust pie
Bake the pie according to the recipe directions. I always like to bake at 425°F for about 10-15 minutes then lower the oven temperature to 350°F for the remainder of the baking, but follow the recipe directions.
Also – it’s important to use a pie shield so your crust doesn’t burn around the edges! You can use foil strips if you don’t have a pie shield.
Pie Crust Tutorials
- All Butter Pie Crust
- How to blind bake a pie crust
- How to make a lattice top
- How to make a crumble for fruit pies
Double Crust Pie Recipes
Tools for Success
- Pie Plates
- Roul’Pat Silicone Baking Mat
- Rolling Pin
- Wax Paper
- Mini Cookie Cutters for decorative top crusts
- Pie Wheel
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
How to make a Double Crust Pie
- 2 recipes All Butter Pie Crust
- Desired Pie Filling
- Roll out one half of the pie dough (or one pie crust). Place it in the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Let the edges hang over.
- Fill pie as desired.
- Roll out top crust. Place over the pie and allow the edges to hang over. Trim excess from the top and bottom crust.
- Fold the two crusts together, then crimp as desired.
- Cut slits in the top crust. Brush with eggwash. Cover the edges with foil or a pie shield.
- Bake according to recipe directions. (With my all butter crust I usually bake at 425°F for 10 minutes then lower the oven temp to 350° then bake until browned, about 40-50 minutes, but follow the directions for the pie you're using.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Learn how to make a Double Crust Pie from scratch! Make a homemade butter pie crust and then make a 2 crust pie with any filling – apple, berry, peach – this is the perfect tutorial to learn how to make a pie crust.
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: August 25, 2020