Learn how to make apple dump cake in your crockpot for the easiest dessert ever! A crockpot cake is a low-fuss and easy-clean-up recipe that you will want to make all fall when apples are in season.
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this cake – so get apple season going with one of my favorite fall desserts.
Have you ever heard of a dump cake? It’s a super easy dessert where you “dump” all of your ingredients into a pan and bake it. Or, in the case of this apple dump cake I’m sharing, you dump everything in your crockpot. It’s one of the easiest desserts ever.
There are a thousand ways to make a dump cake – they’re usually made with fruit and cake mix – and for fall there’s nothing better than this crockpot apple cake recipe. I love apple recipes and it’s just as delicious as an apple crisp or apple crumble but easier to make.
Table of Contents
You Only Need Six Ingredients!
- Granny Smith apples
- Granulated sugar
- Yellow cake mix
- Quick oats or old-fashioned oats
- Sliced butter
You know how you can tell when fall is coming? There’s a change in the air and as soon as that happens, I am getting the slow cooker out to make this dump cake. It’s my favorite summer-to-fall transition dessert.
(Well, that turn in the air comes with 100 degree days mixed in but I make it anyway!)
How to Prep the Apples
I usually use five to seven apples for this recipe. I love Granny Smith because they are really tart and hold their shape even after cooking for several hours.
If your apples are big you can use less, but the recipe is pretty forgiving so don’t stress it too much!
Because I am apple obsessed, I use an apple peeler tool that makes peeling and coring the apples really easy. But, you can also do it by hand:
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin
- Cut the apples into quarters and then, using a paring knife, cut the cores out.
How to Make Apple Dump Cake
Once you’ve peeled, cored, and diced your apples just pile them in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar over the top and them pour the cake mix and oats into the slow cooker so they are cover the apples.
Place the sliced butter in an even layer over the top of the cake mix and oats, secure the lid and cook the cake for four hours on high. That’s it. Easiest crockpot apple cake ever.
Tips for Making Crockpot Dump Cakes
First rule of crockpots is that all crockpots are different! Depending on your model this cake may take more or less time.
The first time you make this, I recommend checking on the cake after 1 ½ hours of cooking time just in case your slow cooker runs hot.
You can tell when the cake is done when all the butter is melted and the cake mix doesn’t look like powder. The top of the cake should be golden brown.
To keep the moisture in balance, sometimes I place a paper towel between the lid and the insert which will absorb a lot of the condensation early in the cooking time. After two hours I remove it so the liquid that is created inside the crockpot will dissolve the cake mix.
After you’ve tried this recipe, you’ll know how it will bake and if it needs more or less time.
Homemade Cake Mix vs Boxed Cake Mix
What makes this such an easy dessert is using cake mix, but I understand if that’s not your thing! You could try using homemade yellow cake mix, but (full disclosure!) I’ve never tried it, but a few readers have with success!
How to Serve Apple Dump Cake
Grab a serving spoon and scoop it into bowls! It’s delicious just as it is, but here are some ideas to dress it up:
- Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. As it melts it will mix with all of that apple goodness!
- A dollop of whipped cream is delicious, too.
- Add a drizzle (or whole glug!) of salted caramel sauce for an extra-decadent treat.
- Keep it simple and dust each serving with some powdered sugar.
I think once you try this crockpot apple cake dump cake it will quickly become a family favorite! My family requests it every year and I usually make it on repeat all through the fall season. I hope you love it!
Other Apple + Crockpot Favorites
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Crockpot Apple Dump Cake
- 5-7 Granny Smith Apples
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon divided
- 1 approx 15 ounce box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 stick ½ cup butter, sliced
- Peel, core, and slice your apples. I used 7 because mine were small. If you’re using large, you can use less. Apples should be thin and bite sized.
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray.
- Place apples in the bottom of your crockpot. Sprinkle with sugar and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Place the cake mix in a large bowl. Add the oats and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir, then sprinkle over the top of the apples. Drop slices of the butter over the top of the cake mix.
- Cover the crockpot with a paper towel then place the lid on. Cook on high for 4 hours. I recommend checking the cake after an hour and a half and then again each 30 minutes to make sure it's cooking evenly and doesn't burn. All crockpots cook differently so this is important. If it's too hot on one side, roate the liner.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Make Apple Dump Cake in the crockpot! This slow cooker dessert recipe uses cake mix and makes an easy apple crisp with just a few ingredients. This is the best recipe for apple dump cake you’ll ever make!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: August 30, 2020