This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
If it’s fall, it’s time for a slice of Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread! This is an easy recipe with no mixer required, and it makes the best loaf of chocolate chip pumpkin bread that is soft, moist, and loaded with chocolate. You’re going to love this!
Table of Contents
Why my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe Works
I never get tired of pumpkin anything, and when fall finally arrives, I break out all the pumpkin puree! First up? This pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe. It’s usually one of the first pumpkin baked goods I make every year.
- First, it’s my classic pumpkin bread with chocolate chips – it’s a great combo! I’ve been making that classic recipe for years and it always works.
- The bread is incredibly moist with the best flavor. I like to make it with buttermilk – it adds a subtle tanginess and lots of moisture to the bread.
- It’s so easy to make – one bowl and a spoon are all you need. You don’t need a mixer!
- Every bite has the perfect balance of pumpkin and chocolate. Chocolate chip bread is always a hit!
- Vegetable Oil: I like using oil in quick bread recipes so it’s easier to stir and keeps the bread moist.
- Pumpkin Puree: Be sure to use puree, not pumpkin pie mix
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: Make your own homemade Pumpkin Spice if you don’t have it.
- Baking Soda: Unlike many quick bread recipes, I use baking soda to make mine. Combined with the acid in the buttermilk, the baking soda makes the bread nice and soft.
- Buttermilk: If you don’t have buttermilk, make your own by adding 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar to measuring cup then filling it the rest of the way with milk.
- Chocolate Chips: Use your favorite kind!
How to Make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Best Pan Size for Quick Bread: You can bake the bread in either a 9×5″ or 8×4″ loaf pan. Spray it with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix: In a large bowl, combine both kinds of sugar with the oil and pumpkin puree. Mix in the eggs, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking soda. Stir in the buttermilk and flour. Once combined, mix in the chocolate chips.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared pan and then sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top of the batter. Bake the pumpkin bread for 45 to 55 minutes. Once a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, take it out of the oven.
- Cool: Cool the bread in the pan before removing it and slicing it.
Tip From Dorothy
- Buttermilk Substitute: If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a measuring cup and pour milk into the cup up to the 1/3 cup line. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Chocolate Chips: Use your favorite chocolate chips for this recipe. Milk, dark, or semisweet chocolate chips are great. Or try white chocolate chips.
- Nuts: You can also add nuts and do ½ cup chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans along with ½ cup of chocolate chips. Or, omit the chocolate chips and make pumpkin nut bread with 1 cup chopped nuts mixed into the batter.
- Muffins: If you want to make pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, you can use a muffin pan to make 14 to 16 muffins with this recipe. Bake them for 15 to 18 minutes.
- How to store pumpkin bread: Chocolate chip pumpkin bread will keep at room temperature for up to two days. Or you can freeze it for up to a month.
FAQ about Pumpkin Bread
Any type of chocolate chips will work for this recipe, including white chocolate chips.
Insert a toothpick in the top of the bread in the center. If it comes out clean, the bread is done.
It should be wrapped tightly, and it will keep for two days at room temperature.
Yes, it’s freezer-friendly.It can also be wrapped and stored in a freezer-safe container. It will keep in the freezer for up to one month. Or, slice the cooled bread and store the slices in resealable sandwich bags. That makes it easy to freeze and then help yourself to a slice or two at a time. Then, leave the slice out at room temperature to thaw or warm it in the microwave.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (50g) brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (79ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (242g) Pumpkin Puree
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup (79ml) buttermilk
- 2 cups (248g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (255g) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5-inch or 8×4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Stir granulated sugar and brown sugar with oil and pumpkin. Stir in the eggs, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and baking soda. Stir until combined. Stir in buttermilk and flour. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. Test it by inserting a toothpick just partway into the top center of the bread. If this comes out clean, it’s done.
- Cool before removing from pan. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to one month.
- To make your own buttermilk, add 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a measuring cup and fill with milk to 1/3 cups. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- You can add any kind of chocolate chips or white chocolate, or use 1 cup chips and ½ cup chopped nuts (or make this pumpkin nut bread by adding 1 cup chopped nuts and omit chocolate chips).
This is the BEST Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread -it’s an easy pumpkin bread recipe with chocolate chips – the perfect brunch or breakfast all fall.
Last Updated on September 6, 2023