This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
A homemade Sugar Cookie Cake for Easter- this easy sugar cookie recipe is filled with spring M&Ms and sprinkles and baked in a cake pan. Make an easy frosting and you have the perfect spring cookie cake!
Table of Contents
Sugar Cookie Cake for Easter
Other than carrot cake, coconut cream pie and brunch, I don’t make that much in the way of typical “Easter” food, probably because we don’t celebrate past the Easter Bunny and his egg hunt. But I love cute Easter desserts and I especially love using all the fun holiday candies and sprinkles.
Then I remembered how much I love sugar cookies, and how much I absolutely love sugar cookies with M&Ms inside. Adding the sprinkles to this Easter sugar cookie cake was just a bonus: An EASTER Sugar Cookie Cake that’s perfect for the kid’s bunny party or a family potluck, or even Easter brunch.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This is such an easy sugar cookie recipe. There’s no chilling and it’s made all in one bowl.
- You can frost it or leave it plain, your choice.
- Use ANY color candy and sprinkles for ANY holiday!
Ingredients in Sugar Cookie Dough
- Butter: Be sure to use a good quality butter, like Challenge. Lower quality products can change the result of your cookie cake.
- Cream of Tartar: Instead of baking powder, I add a bit of cream of tartar with the baking soda to make this soft and chewy, just how I like my cookies to be.
- M&Ms and Sprinkles: Pastel colors are perfect for Easter, but you can use any colors for any time of year or any celebration.
- Frosting: I love using a smaller batch of my vanilla buttercream recipe for the top or you can use a can of frosting, chocolate frosting, or skip it.
How to make a Sugar Cookie Cake
- Cream unsalted butter and granulated sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add egg, vanilla extract, baking soda, and cream of tartar and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Mix in flour until cookie dough forms.
- Add your candy and pastel rainbow sprinkles.
- There isn’t even any rolling or scooping, because it’s a cookie cake; simply press it into a 9″ cake pan and bake until slightly golden. I line my pan with foil but you can also use parchment paper.
- Once it cools, you can even add a frosting, or leave it plain. I’ve included a frosting recipe (it’s my favorite that I always use) but if you’re in a rush, just use a can of icing.
Tip From Dorothy
- I love using good quality butter for sugar cookies. After all, it’s a primary ingredient!
- You can make this for any holiday by swapping out the candy and sprinkles. I’ve made it for 4th of July too!
- Use egg shaped M&Ms or candies instead.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract for even more flavor.
- Chocolate frosting would be good on this too!
- Don’t over bake this cookie cake – it tastes better when it’s not quite done out of the oven.
This bakes in about 19-25 minutes. I don’t like over baking because I want it soft and it’ll finish baking and set as it cools. But if you want it crunchier you can bake longer.
It’s done when it’s a light golden around the edges and no longer glossy on top.
Freeze the cake for up to 2 months, whole or as slices.
Sugar Cookie Cake Recipe
For the Cookie Cake:
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted Challenge butter , softened
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups (248g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (220g) M&Ms Use spring colored M&Ms
- ½ cup (78g) Easter sprinkles
For the frosting:
- 3 tablespoons (42g) unsalted butter softened
- 1 ½ cups (170g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (15ml) heavy whipping cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9” round cake pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make the cookie cake: Beat butter and sugar with a hand or a stand mixer until creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla, then mix in baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. Slowly mix in flour. Stir in M&Ms and sprinkles.
- Press batter into prepared pan, pressing more M&Ms onto the top as desired. Bake for 19-22 minutes or until the edges are just turning a light golden brown. It’s better to under bake this dough than over bake it. The cake will continue cooking a bit as it cools so err on the side of underdone for the best tasting cookie. Let it cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting: beat butter until smooth, then slowly beat in powdered sugar until crumbly. Add salt and vanilla, then add 1 teaspoon of heavy whipping cream. Beat until smooth, adding another teaspoon of heavy whipping cream to get a spreadable texture.
- To frost: use a 1M tip and a ziplock or piping bag to decorate the cookie cake. Top with more sprinkles and M&Ms.
- Store loosely covered for up to 2 days.
- Cake can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Works with any color M&Ms and any color sprinkles!
- Add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract for more flavor.
- These can also be baked in a 9×13-inch pan for sugar cookie bars.
Last Updated on March 31, 2023