Now you can have your cookie and cake in one fantastic dessert! This Cookie Cake is so easy to make from scratch and has the best soft and chewy texture. There are so many ways to customize this chocolate chip cookie cake – it’s perfect for any occasion!
This cake is what happens when you combine chocolate chip cookies with cake and, friends, you are going to love it! This is the cake to make for all the chocolate chip cookie fans in your life.
Why This is the BEST Cookie Cake Recipe
I took my popular chocolate chip cookie recipe and adapted it to make this cake. So, it’s not just a cake that looks like a cookie – it is actually a giant soft and chewy cookie!
It’s so easy to make – you don’t need a mixer, and you don’t have to chill the dough. You don’t even have to wait for butter to soften to make it!
You can customize it for any occasion with different sprinkles, mix-ins, and frosting for a birthday cookie cake or one for Christmas, Halloween, Valentine’s Day… it’s perfect any time of year.
Unlike other cookie cake recipes, this one is not like a cakey cookie. It really tastes like the best chocolate chip cookie just made extra-large in a cake pan.
I have made this giant cookie cake recipe countless times, and it always turns out perfectly. You will love how easy it and your friends and family are going to love how delicious it is!
Table of Contents
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Ingredients
- Butter: as usual, my cookies start with melted unsalted butter
- Sugar: I always use a combination of granulated sugar and brown sugar. Be sure to pack your brown sugar.
- Egg, Vanilla, Salt, Baking Soda: typical cookie ingredients
- All-purpose flour: this is my go-to flour for all cookie recipes. Be sure to measure your flour correctly.
- Chocolate chips: use your favorite flavor and brand
The frosting is similar to my chocolate buttercream recipe, but cut in half because you don’t need as much. You just need butter, powdered sugar, cocoa, salt and heavy whipping cream to make a creamy chocolate frosting for the cookie cake.
How to Make a Cookie Cake
1. Prepare your pan: Line a 9” round cake pan with foil and coat it with cooking spray. You can also use a 9-inch square pan.
2. Mix: Mix the melted butter with the granulated sugar and brown sugar at low speed in a large bowl or stand mixer. Once the mixture is smooth, mix in the egg and vanilla and mix at medium speed.
3. Dry ingredients: Add the salt and baking soda and mix. Slowly add the flour and mix just until the dough comes together and is smooth. Scrape the bowl a few times while mixing to ensure everything is incorporated. Slowly mix in the chocolate chips.
4. Bake: Press the dough into the prepared pan. Bake for 21 to 25 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake before frosting.
5. Frost: once you make the frosting, you can decorate it any way you want. I like using an open star tip (i.e., Wilton 1M) to make swirls.
Cookie Cake Recipe Variations
I love this recipe because it’s easy to switch up. I love to frost it with chocolate buttercream and have included that recipe in the card. But, that’s not the only option:
- Frosting: you can use any frosting you like with this cake – vanilla buttercream, cream cheese frosting or use your favorite store-bought frosting to make it even easier.
- Mix-Ins: You can also add other mix-ins to the dough before you bake the cookie – chopped peanut butter cups, Reese’s pieces, toffee baking chips, and nuts are just a few ideas. Or switch the chocolate chips for dark chocolate, white chocolate, or butterscotch chips.
- Sprinkles: Don’t forget the sprinkles for decorations! Match them to the occasion to make it extra special.
Tips for the Best Homemade Cookie Cake
- You can use a mixer, but I recommend mixing the dough by hand for the best results. Mixing by hand will make it less likely that you’ll overmix the dough.
- I prefer to bake this cake in a 9” round pan, but if you don’t have one, you can use a 9” square pan.
- Don’t over-bake the cookie cake. This is so important! If you over-bake it, the cookie will have a harder texture and won’t be as soft and chewy. So, keep an eye on it, and when the top turns light golden, check the inside with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
This soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie cake is a great way to switch up dessert for parties, potlucks, or other events. Or, just make it for fun – you don’t need an excuse! I know you will love it as much as we do.
Homemade Cookie Cake Recipe FAQs
Once the cake is completely cooled, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and it will keep well for several days at room temperature.
You don’t need to keep it in the refrigerator. It will stay soft and chewy at room temperature – just keep it tightly wrapped.
Once it’s completely cooled, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer bag. It will keep well for up to three months. Thaw it at room temperature and then frost it if desired.
Yes, if you don’t have a round cake pan, you can use a 9” square cake pan.
You can double it and bake the cake in a 9×13” baking pan.
Other Combination Desserts You Will Love
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Recipe
For the Cookie:
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup (67g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (100g) packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cups (186g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (275g) chocolate chips
For the Frosting:
- 4 tablespoons (57g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (113g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (10g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-inch round cake pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place melted butter in a large bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment). Add granulated sugar and brown sugar and mix on low speed until the mixture is smooth. Mix in egg and vanilla extract and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Mix in salt and baking soda, then slowly mix in flour and mix just until the batter is smooth and comes together. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl during mixing. Slowly mix in chocolate chips.
- Press batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 21-25 minutes or until the cookie is just slightly golden brown on top and a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Let cool before frosting.
- Add butter to a large bowl and beat until smooth with a hand mixer. Add powdered sugar, cocoa and salt and mix until crumbly, them mix in vanilla extract.
- Add 1 tablespoon milk or heavy cream and mix until smooth, adding more cream as needed for piping consistency.
- To assemble the cookie cake: place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe swirls around the edges. Add sprinkles and serve.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze unfrosted cake for up to a month.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
This Cookie Cake is so easy to make from scratch and has the best soft and chewy texture. There are so many ways to customize this chocolate chip cookie cake – it’s perfect for any occasion!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: April 21, 2021