How to make Football Brownies
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
If you’re throwing a Super Bowl or football party, you need to know how to make Football Brownies! This easy recipe uses a homemade brownie mix recipe and is topped with an easy football decoration. These are touchdown brownies without a cookie cutter and everyone will love them.
Plus, brownies are a bonus. Who doesn’t love homemade brownies?
There are two times a year I make football themed treats: in August, for my husband’s Fantasy Football Draft, and in January, for the Super Bowl. The big game is in less than two weeks, so the food football planning is running high in my house. (Mainly for the blog, Mel doesn’t allow us to watch the game with him, lol.)
This year I just have no real energy to be creative and come up with some new football shaped creative dessert. I was thinking about what to make and decided I just wanted to do EASY this year: football brownies. I figured I wouldn’t post these because they’re so easy they’re barely a recipe. Then I started thinking…I bet other people out there are busy, crazed, tired, and don’t want to do anything fancy for the super bowl. Raise your hand if that’s you!
Stupid Easy Homemade Football Brownies are for anyone who wants something that’s so simple it’s foolproof, yet cute and festive. Plus, if you’ve ever wondered how to make football brownies without a cookie cutter…this is your resource.
I know my favorite dessert should be pie and it is a lot of the time, but the one thing that I am always in the mood for are brownies. Plain, with frosting, made with cocoa, made with melted chocolate, filled with candy, topped with peanut butter…all of them are like a siren song for me.
I’ll never turn down a brownie (no matter the topping or filling) but I absolutely love a plain old easy brownie. I even love the ones from a box; in fact I crave them sometimes. Box brownies are the ones I grew up on, so of course I have an affinity for them. Funny story, last week I went to a party and brought a cake. The host had asked if I was planning to bring something because she didn’t want to “subject me to her boxed brownies” and I was like, dude, bring them on!
The problem I have is that I always want a box of brownie mix when I don’t have one. Usually it’s the day after I’ve been to the store so there is no way I want to go back…so I end up having to make them from scratch anyway. My last-minute-brownie-craving problem led me to create the BEST Homemade Brownie Mix recipe a few years ago. It’s still one of my absolute favorite recipes and it’s always in my pantry. Sometimes I make a full pan of them, but most often I make a single serving brownie because I have a craving.
To turn these into touchdown brownies, all you have to do is add laces to the cut squares. Sure, you can use a cookie cutter, but I never know where mine is. They still look like footballs even if they’re not in a football shape. (At least I think so…please don’t burst my bubble, lol.)
Homemade Football Brownies will score a touchdown at any super bowl party because they start with homemade brownie mix!
Once your brownies are baked and cooled, it’s time to slice them and pipe the laces. You have a few options for this:
- Use melted white chocolate
- Use homemade vanilla frosting
- Use a can of frosting (I like using the “whipped” because it’s easier to pipe)
If you want to go full homemade, use my vanilla frosting recipe. But if you’re really going for easy, then use a can. All you have to do is place some frosting in a sandwich bag and cut off one corner. Then pipe your laces.
(Confession: I have no idea how many laces go on a football. I do three because…it looks cute.)
Easy peasy football brownies – no cookie cutter or fancy pan needed.
Tips for how to make football brownies:
- You can use my brownie recipe or use your favorite, or use a box. If you’re using a box mix, just bake the brownies according to the box directions.
- If you want to be all fancy, you can use a football shaped cookie cutter. But I’m lazy and boring, so I like to just cut them in squares!
- Once they’re frosted, the frosting will semi-harden so stack them carefully.
- Serve them on top of a bed of green sprinkles for a cute football themed display.
Easy Homemade Football Brownies
Homemade Football Brownies are the easiest way to celebrate the Super Bowl! Use homemade brownie mix and easy frosting to make a delicious football treat.
- 3 cups homemade brownie mix1
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil, liquid coconut oil, or melted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup vanilla frosting2
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together brownie mix, oil, eggs, vanilla, and water. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake brownies for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean 2-inches from the edge of the pan. Cool completely.
- Remove from pan and cut brownies into squares3. Place frosting in a sandwich bag and cut off the tip of one corner. Pipe the laces onto the brownies.
- Store loosely covered for up to 3 days.
- If you prefer, you can use any brownie recipe, or use a box mix. If using box mix, make the brownies according to package directions instead of my directions.
- You can use homemade frosting, melted white chocolate, or a can of frosting. If you use a can, I like using “whipped” frosting as it’s easier to pipe.
- If you want, you can cut the brownies into football shapes using a cookie cutter.
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**