This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
These Football Rice Krispie Treats are the best dessert to make for game day! They are bite sized and just like classic Rice Krispies Treats but made into a football shape – perfect for that football lover in your life.
Table of Contents
Super Bowl Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie Treats are always made with easy ingredients and this recipe is no different! Once you have your cereal treats you use a mini football cookie cutter, but if you do not have one you could simply take a knife and cut the shape out by hand!
These football treats are the best for football season because they are delicious and the perfect addition to any platter during the game. You could even dip these into my football nutella board or my football peanut butter dip! These are dipped in chocolate with frosting laces – the perfect football dessert.
- Rice Krispies: You can actually use any flavor your want.
- Mini Marshmallows: Marshmallows are the main ingredient in Rice Krispie Treats – they are what makes them gooey and chewy.
- Unsalted Butter: You can also use margarine.
- Chocolate Chips: Once you melt the chocolate and dip the cereal treats they’ll look like footballs. You can also use chocolate buttercream frosting.
How to make Cereal Treats
- Make your cereal treat mixture in a large pot. Melt butter and miniature marshmallows together over medium low heat, then stir vanilla extract and cereal into the marshmallow mixture.
- Press into two 9-inch square pans. This makes them thinner than using a 9×13-inch pan, making them easier to cut into a football shape.
- Cut the treats into football shapes using a cookie cutter, or you can break of rectangles and form them into the shape of a football.
- Melt chocolate candy melts and dip each football into the candy. Use cookie icing or melted white chocolate to pipe the laces onto the footballs.
- When using marshmallows, the fresher the better. Stale marshmallows won’t be as gooey. This goes for the cereal too!
- When you are baking the cereal treats, line the pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with cooking oil so that they won’t stick!
- Chocolate melts best when it is being stirred every 30 seconds. You can also use chocolate chips or baking chocolate.
You can! Freeze them in an airtight container for up to one month.
You can, but you will need to cut them into smaller pieces first.
Football Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- 9 cups (237g) Rice Krispies Cereal
- 20 ounces (566g) mini marshmallows, divided
- 8 tablespoons (113g) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon (15ml) vanilla extract
- 8 ounces chocolate candy melts
- White Frosting for decorating (see note)
- Line two 9-inch pans with foil or parchment and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Measure out cereal and place in a large bowl.
- Measure out 15 ounces (1 ½ packages) mini marshmallows and set aside.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Then add the marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Add cereal and stir to coat with the marshmallow mixture. Stir in remaining marshmallows and immediately pour into prepared pans. Press firmly to compact. Tip: spray wax paper with nonstick cooking spray so you can press without it sticking to your hands.
- Let set until firm. Remove from pan using foil and remove foil from the bottoms. Use a football shaped cookie cutter to cut shapes.
- Melt chocolate according to package directions (I like using a paper bowl and melting on 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring after each). Dip each football in the chocolate and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Let harden, then add the laces using frosting.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. To freeze, let cool completely then cut into bars and wrap each individual bar in wax paper and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Use any flavor Rice Krispies cereal.
- You can use any size marshmallows, just make sure you’re only using 15 ounces in the actual mixture – you’ll want mini ones to mix in or you’ll have to slice large ones to fold in at the end.
- These stay extra gooey but will get stale if not stored properly.
- Only use FRESH marshmallows and not-stale cereal for best results.
- You can use chocolate chips in place of the melts, or use chocolate frosting.
- I used a can of icing in a piping bag for the laces, but you can also use cookie icing or melted white chocolate.