This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are chocolaty marshmallow cereal bars that are so easy to make. You only need 4 ingredients to make them! They’re the best chocolate cereal treats with gooey marshmallow in every bite.
Table of Contents
Best Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
There are rice Krispie treats and then there are these CHOCOLATE Rice Krispies treats. I don’t know about you, but anytime I can give something a chocolate twist, I’m gonna do it and these chocolate krispy treats do not disappoint.
They have everything you love about rice krispy treats: gooey marshmallow, crispy cereal, and a lightly buttery flavor but with cocoa krispies instead of plain rice cereal.
They’re just as easy to make with just four ingredients. It’s a melt, stir, and press-into-a-pan situation that is perfect when you’re craving chocolate or need a last-minute no-bake dessert. This chocolate version is an easy twist on the classic – I know you’re going to love it!
You can use chocolate rice krispies or make cocoa pebble cereal treats with this recipe. Either way, they’re so good!
4 Ingredients Needed
- Cereal: You can use either Cocoa Rice Krispies or Cocoa Pebbles
- Mini marshmallows: You can also use the large ones, just pay attention to how many you need.
- Unsalted Butter: Can substitute salted butter if needed
- Vanilla Extract: Only buy pure vanilla!
How to Make Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- Place the butter in a large pot.
- Melt it over medium-low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir until they are melted.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the Cocoa Rice Krispies (or Cocoa Pebbles) and stir to coat the cereal evenly in the melted marshmallow.
- Press the mixture into a prepared 9×13” baking pan lined with foil.
- Allow the bars to set before slicing and serving.
Tip From Dorothy
Expert Cereal Treat Tips
- Use fresh marshmallows for this recipe. Even marshmallows that are a little bit stale will make your rice krispy treats hard.
- Also use fresh cereal so it has the best crispy texture and flavor.
- Be sure to melt the butter over medium-low to low heat. You don’t want to scorch the marshmallows or burn them.
- Want them even more chocolaty? Add one cup of chocolate chips to the mixture.
Be sure to accurately measure the cereal. If you add too much, your chocolate rice krispy treats will be dry.
Make sure you measure the right amount of marshmallows. Too many marshmallows will make the treats too gooey and they won’t hold together. Also, allow them time to set at room temperature before slicing them.
Too much butter will make your treats soft or even soggy. For the best crispy rice krispy treats, be sure to measure the butter accurately.
Chocolate Krispie treats should be stored at room temperature. Keep them covered with plastic wrap and plan to serve them within a couple of days.
Technically, you can freeze them but I don’t recommend it. When they’re thawed the cereal can get soggy and the texture just won’t be the same.
Chocolate Krispie Treats Recipe
- 9 cups (398g) Cocoa Pebbles (or Cocoa Rice Krispies)
- 15 ounces (426g) mini marshmallows
- 8 tablespoons (113g) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Add cereal and stir to coat with the marshmallow mixture. Pour into pan. Press firmly to compact. Tip: spray wax paper with nonstick cooking spray so you can press without it sticking to your hands.
- Let set until firm then slice into bars. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
More Fun Variations of Rice Krispie Treats
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are chocolaty marshmallow cereal bars that are so easy to make and you only need 4 ingredients to make them!
Last Updated on March 25, 2023