Chocolate Dipped Snowball Cookies
Chocolate Dipped Snowball Cookies – make your favorite wedding cookie or tea cake recipe and dip them in chocolate for a new easy cookie truffle!
I can’t claim responsibility for this recipe idea. This one belongs to my parents all the way. I wish I could remember which one sent me the idea, but either way it was an amazing one: dip snowball cookies in chocolate, like a truffle.
At first, I was intrigued. Why not try it, right? I mean, y’all love snowball cookie recipes and flip out every time I make one. I could at least try to dip them in chocolate and see how it goes. You know how it went?
OH MY GOD SO FABULOUS. If I had to pick a favorite way to eat my wedding cookies, it would be this one. Coated in milk chocolate and dusted with cocoa powder…forever and ever.
I mean, you combine my Mom’s Russian Tea Cake recipe, which is probably one of my favorite cookies anyway, and then you coat it in my favorite substance (chocolate)? Really, match made in heaven.
Basically this recipe is a method, not a recipe. Although I do give you a recipe for snowballs, you can use ANY recipe you like. The recipe I list is basic, but make sure and check out some of my other flavors, like chocolate chip or lemon or Reese’s stuffed. They’d all be amazing dipped in chocolate.
The beauty about snowball cookies is their versatility. You can make them with nuts or without. You can add chocolate chips or flavoring. Then match the chocolate coating to match the flavor: Lemon + White Chocolate or Stuffed or chocolate + chocolate. I really liked dusting the powdered sugar on top because it gives a hint to what’s inside. (FYI, the powdered sugar does not dissolve if you put it on after they harden, even in the fridge.)
And if you’re afraid to dip things in chocolate, check out my video on how to make truffles without crying. Ancient video, ancient kitchen, but it gets the point across.
These cookies are perfect for anytime you want to make snowball cookies a little more special. Or just because you love chocolate and cookies together.
Thanks for the idea mom and dad! 🙂
Chocolate Dipped Snowball Cookies
Yield: 40-48 cookies
Chocolate Dipped Snowball Cookies - make your favorite wedding cookies and dip them in chocolate for a new easy cookie truffle recipe!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup finely chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, or almonds) or mini chocolate chips, optional
- 16 ounces melting chocolate (almond bark or Candiquik), chocolate or vanilla
- Powdered sugar for garnish, optional
- Preaheat oven to 375°. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Mix butter, ½ cup powdered sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together. Stir in the nuts or chocolate chips, if using. If dough is too soft, chill it until you can work it easily with your hands. It will come together fast with a stand mixer, slower with a hand mixer.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon balls of dough onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake cookies for 7-8 minutes until bottoms are just slightly brown. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Melt chocolate according to package directions. I like to melt it in paper bowls because it's easy clean up. Dip each cookie into the chocolate, roll and tap off excess. Place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and chill to harden. You can add sprinkles while the chocolate is wet if you want.
- For garnish, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Use ANY flavor snowball cookie for this recipe. Get all my recipes here.