This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Mexican Wedding Cookies are soft buttery cookies and the version I’m sharing has a rainbow sprinkles upgrade! This is an easy cookie recipe without nuts that is perfect for any occasion including weddings, birthdays, holidays, and potlucks.
I’ve been making these cookies for my whole life – they’re always a hit!
This cookie might have an identity crisis going on – is it an Italian or Mexican wedding cookie? Are they Russian tea cakes? Snowball cookies? Is it a cake batter cookie? Or funfetti?
Guys, it’s ALL of those things! Depending on where you’re from you might call them any one of those things and I know them as Mexican Wedding Cookies. If you’ve never tried them, all you need to know is that these sweet, buttery cookies are so easy to make and so delicious. Like, melt-in-your-mouth good!
Table of Contents
Mexican Wedding Cookies Without Nuts!
Traditionally, these types of cookies are made with nuts but I leave them out. I’ve learned after many school, holiday, potluck, and wedding events that nut allergies are often a concern. So, I just leave them out so no one has to guess or miss out on these sweet treats.
They still have the best texture and, of course, I give them my own spin with sprinkles mixed in. I’ve made these cookies for wedding cookie tables and they fit right it! They’re so sweet and cute and irresistible. I know you’re going to love them!
The base of this recipe is from my mom and it’s one of our favorites. I’ve used it to make chocolate chip snowball cookies and stuffed snowball cookies and now I’ve turned them into sprinkle cookies that taste like cake batter (without cake mix, I might add).
They look like fancy cookies for weddings, but they are so easy to make and they never disappoint. They’re also perfect for the holidays!
How to Make Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Softened unsalted butter – yes, it needs to be softened! It’s the key to getting a fluffy batter.
- Powdered sugar – it’s in the batter and used to coat the cookies.
- Butter extract – this is what gives the cookies the cake batter flavor without having to use cake mix! Look for it in the baking aisle at the grocery store.
- Flour – be sure to use the spoon and level method for measuring your flour!
- Rainbow sprinkles – jimmies work best!
Once you have your ingredients, these little bites of heaven are a breeze to make. Just mix up the dough, form it into balls, bake the cookies, and roll them in the powdered sugar.
You can make them teeny-tiny sized by scooping ½ tablespoons of dough to make the cookies. Or, make them bigger with two tablespoons of dough per cookie and bake them a little longer.
A Few Recipe Notes (Reader FAQs)
I don’t recommend it! There’s no substitute for real butter and your cookies will be so much better if you use it.
There’s probably too much flour in the dough. It’s really important to measure the flour using the spoon and level method. If you use the measuring cup to scoop the flour out of the container (or pack the flour to tightly in the cup) you will have too much flour, which will change the texture of the cookies.
KEEP MIXING! This dough will stay crumbly until it’s not – and it will come together as a cookie dough. It will go fast with a stand mixer but take a few minutes with a hand mixer.
Traditionally they do have nuts, but I omit them so I don’t have to worry about nut allergies when I make them for events and parties. So, this is my twist on the classic cookie that swaps the nuts for sprinkles! If you want to try a version with nuts browse all of my snowball cookie recipes for more ideas.
Yes, they freeze great! Use a freezer-safe container and layer the cookies with paper towels between each layer. To thaw, leave the container at room temperature (don’t remove the paper towels – they will absorb the moisture as the cookies thaw).
Wedding cakes, tea cakes, snowballs… whatever you call these you care going to love them. The cake batter and sprinkles are such a fun twist on a classic Mexican wedding cookies recipe. If you’re looking for wedding cookie ideas you need to try them!
Other Wedding Cookies to try
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Funfetti Cake Batter Wedding Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter , softened (use real butter, no substitutions)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon butter extract (optional but will give that cake batter flavor)
- 2 1/4 cups flour be careful not to over measure
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rainbow sprinkles jimmies work best
- Additional powdered sugar for rolling
- Preaheat oven to 375°. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, butter extract and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together. Stir in the sprinkles. If dough is too soft, chill it until you can work it easily with your hands.
- Scoop 1 or 2 tablespoon balls of dough and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 7-10 minutes (1 tablespoon balls) or 10-14 minutes (2 tablespoon balls) until bottoms are just slightly brown. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes. Fill a small bowl with powdered sugar and roll each cookie in the sugar until coated. Place on a rack to cool. (Once cookies are cooled, you may want to re-roll them in more powdered sugar.)
Funfetti plus Mexican Wedding Cookies – SO good! And this recipe is so easy to make and has no nuts. These Funfetti Snowballs with sprinkles have a cake batter flavor that you’re going to love.
Last Updated on March 19, 2021
Thank you for posting this recipe! I have wondered how to make Snowballs without nuts. The idea of subbing in jimmies sounds good to me 😀
Would this also work with tiny candy sequins? I have a jar of bright rainbow ones I would like to use. 😀
I am pretty sure you can use the sequins yes! I just wouldn’t use nonpareils as they seem to melt in the oven.
Absolutely delicious! My daughter and I wanted to make snowball cookies for our holiday cookie plates, and I knew you had some very yummy sounding versions. We love these! Thank you so much for the fantastic recipe, we can’t wait to try your other versions!
Wow these are amazing!! I was so excited when I saw this, we were going to visit a friend with a tree nut allergy and I knew I had to bake these! Just perfect, amazing buttery flavor, so easy to make, I will definitely be making these over and over!! Thanks!
Very easy to put together.