Mar 23

Coconut Cream Truffles

Spring is one of my favorite food times of the year because it’s perfectly acceptable to add coconut to every single dessert.

If you like coconut, these Coconut Cream Truffles are for you!

Coconut Cream Truffles | crazyforcrust.com | Triple the coconut flavor!

I have a slight bone to pick with Hershey’s Kisses. My absolute favorite Kiss flavor is the Coconut Cream. Every year after Valentine’s Day I start impatiently stalking Target for my shipment to come in. I usually buy a bag to bake with…and a bag to eat. But this year?

There are NO coconut cream kisses to be found! It’s like my own personal armageddon.

I’ve looked at Target. Walmart. The grocery store. I’ve looked again. I’ve done laps in the Easter and candy and specialty aisles with no luck. I even tweeted @HersheysKisses and asked and they said they were rolling them out…and still to date…nada.

It’s a sad, sad day in the Crazy household.

I even bought another brand, a popular one that has very good chocolate. But you know what? All I tasted was the chocolate. The coconut got lost because of how good this brand of chocolate is.

So I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I made my own coconut cream truffles. The coconut cream to chocolate ratio is way in favor of the coconut. #win

Coconut Cream Truffles | crazyforcrust.com | Triple the coconut flavor!

These are a simple butter-based truffle with triple the coconut stirred right in.

Once you mix up the base of the truffle (butter and powdered sugar) you add vanilla and coconut extract. I know, another extract to buy. But honestly, if you want that punch of coconut flavor, you need the extract. Shredded coconut alone doesn’t pack the wallop I was hoping for. Buy the generic extract at Walmart and it won’t cost you a bunch.

The second coconut layer comes from Cream of Coconut. I bought the Coco Real brand. You can find it in the liquor section of your grocery store. It’s used as a mixer in lots of drinks, but it doesn’t actually have alcohol in it. I supposed you could use the canned cream of coconut you find in the Asian foods aisle, but I really don’t like that stuff. I’ve tried using it before and the flavor just turns me off. The Cream of Coconut reminds me of coconut oil in texture, but it packs a strong coconut flavor.

And last, of course, there is actual shredded coconut in the truffle. It adds some texture and flavor and gives it that nice coconut chew, as I like to call it. The three ingredients together give these a great coconut flavor!

Coconut Cream Truffles | crazyforcrust.com | Triple the coconut flavor!

Once you have the truffles rolled and chilled, it’s time to dip them. You can use a candy melt made for dipping (my favorite is Candiquik) or you can use semi-sweet baking chocolate (my favorite is Ghiradelli). Use what you like best! Both  of these (and Almond Bark and Wilton’s Candy Melts) can be found in the baking aisle at your local grocery store or Walmart/Target.

Hate dipping? Me too. But it’s actually easier than you think, and gets easier the more you do it. I made a video tutorial awhile back explaining how I dip truffles without throwing a tantrum, if you’re interested. The post also has some helpful tricks and tips about all the candy choices and dipping in general.

Depending on when you’re serving these truffles, you can decorate them in so many ways. Drizzle them with chocolate or coconut, like I did. Use pretty sprinkles or chocolate jimmies. Or, if you’re making them for Easter, they’d be really eye-catching with some pastel candy drizzled over the top (Wilton sells all different colors).

I went easy, with more coconut. I’m a coconut addict after all.

Like lemon and dark chocolate, coconut is something that I’ve only become obsessed with since I started blogging.

I was kind of hoping that would happen with beets and kale, but so far no dice.

Coconut Cream Truffles | crazyforcrust.com | Triple the coconut flavor!

I’ll stick with sugar thankyouverymuch.

Coconut Cream Truffles

Yield: 18 truffles

Coconut Cream Truffles

These are the perfect coconut truffle: a creamy center filled with coconut flavor and shredded coconut, all surrounded by chocolate. When you can't find your favorite coconut cream candies at the store, these are the perfect stand-in.

• 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
  • 2 tablespoons cream of coconut (I used Coco Real Brand)
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 6-8 ounces chocolate candy melts or semi-sweet baking chocolate

1. Beat butter with a hand mixer until smooth. Mix in extracts, cream of coconut and salt. Slowly add the powdered sugar until it’s mixed in. Mix in coconut.
  2. Drop tablespoon sized balls on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet and roll into uniform balls. Chill for at least 1 hour before dipping. You can wrap the cookie sheet with foil and chill overnight, if needed.
  3. When ready to dip, melt candy melts according to package directions. Dip each ball into the melts, tapping off the excess, and place on a new cookie sheet lined with wax paper. (If your truffles start to get soft, pop them in the freezer for a few minutes before continuing.) Sprinkle with sprinkles or coconut, if desired.
  4. Chill until set, store in refrigerator. Best served at room temperature.

fb How To Dip Candy and Truffles Video Tutorial

Peanut Butter Oreo Truffles (1 of 5)w maple walnut truffles (6 of 7)w Mexican Chocolate Truffles 2w

48 Responses to “Coconut Cream Truffles”

1. Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker posted on March 23, 2014 at 4:43 am (#)

I knew there was a valid excuse why I’m loving and adding coconut to everything. These yruffles are perfect for my coconut craving. Pinned

2. SaraJ posted on March 23, 2014 at 4:59 am (#)

After looking and looking for the Kisses, I bought the Dove coconut cream eggs, I thought they were 100 times better than Hershey’s. I was going to put them in brownies but they are already half gone. Oops! Think I’ll go have one for breakfast.

As soon as Dove are off the sleeves you’ve given me my next fix, thank you!

3. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on March 23, 2014 at 5:16 am (#)

Haha, I’m going to say I would love these! I have a coconut truffle coming soon for Food Fanatic!!! LOVE that you added coconut extract to these :)

4. Ashley posted on March 23, 2014 at 5:47 am (#)

I lovveeeee coconut – and I especially like how you packed these truffles with it!! And maybe kale will eventually win you over?? : ) I still don’t like quinoa no matter how many times I try it! I feel like a bad food blogger for saying that! lol

5. Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron posted on March 23, 2014 at 5:53 am (#)

My husband would be obsessed with these truffles! He likes coconut in and on everything! Beautiful pictures Dorothy!

6. Tieghan posted on March 23, 2014 at 5:57 am (#)

Ya for coconut!! These look and sound incredible. So my thing!

7. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on March 23, 2014 at 6:01 am (#)

They’re so perfect! And thanks for the detailed explanation of why you used (or didn’t use) each coconut product, item, brand, etc. Generic storebrand coconut extract is seriously like 1.99 at my groc store (Ralph’s) so no excuses there! And I like that you said you think dipping them gets easier as you go. I’m glad YOU feel that way Lol. I personally lose massive patience by like ball #5. So can I come scarf down yours? :)

8. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on March 23, 2014 at 6:55 am (#)

Did you say NO Coconut Hershey Kisses?! Those are my absolutely favorite! I hoard them. Not even going to pretend I don’t. My husband doesn’t like them but he’ll eat them anyways, and it drives me nuts when they are gone and I’m like, “why would you do that?! You think they are gross!!!” So I started hiding them. With the mini Rolos and Reese’s cups. Shhh. Our secret.

These truffles look divine! I bet they are even better than Hershey’s kisses. Your photos are so pretty and the white coconut on top really pops out! Pinned for when I feel brave enough to tackle dipping.

9. Kayla posted on March 23, 2014 at 10:31 am (#)

Oh wow, this looks delicious! I’m not much of a coconut person, that’s more of my mom’s style, but I would love to try this!

10. marcie posted on March 23, 2014 at 11:55 am (#)

I love these — they’re like Mounds truffles! I saw some coconut cream kisses…want me to FedEx some to you? :) With these around, you don’t need them anyway, and I’m sure these are much better! I hate dipping too, but when the end result is something like this, I’ll do it. :)

11. whatjessicabakednext posted on March 23, 2014 at 12:10 pm (#)

These truffles look divine! I absolutely love chocolate and coconut- definitely need to give your recipe a go!

12. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on March 23, 2014 at 1:58 pm (#)

Your truffles are just perfect! And the photos are beautiful! I make coconut cream bars every Christmas and now I think I need to make coconut cream truffles every Easter. Yum!

13. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on March 23, 2014 at 3:14 pm (#)

That’s the way! You go ahead and make your own-these look SO creamy and coconutty!

14. cheri savory spoon posted on March 23, 2014 at 4:21 pm (#)

Oh I have pinned and printed, these look amazing

15. Lyuba@willcookforsmiles posted on March 23, 2014 at 4:21 pm (#)

OMG, someone needs to send me a box of these like right now! I’m drooling here and about to bite into the computer :)
    Awesome truffles!!

16. Laurie F. posted on March 23, 2014 at 4:34 pm (#)

These look fabulous! I ‘m trying these, right after your maple walnut truffles. And your dipping tutorial definitely helps! Wouldn’t these truffles be a great end to a dinner party, or a treat at a game night?

17. Emily @ Life on Food posted on March 23, 2014 at 4:37 pm (#)

Holy yumness!! I love coconut. I love chocolate. I will never need to go looking for store bought truffles again. Thank you and thank you!

18. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on March 23, 2014 at 5:37 pm (#)

All of your truffles are amazing. Loving these coconut ones. I’ll let you know if I see the kisses in my area :)

19. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on March 23, 2014 at 6:03 pm (#)

Oh my goodness gracious. I love all things coconut and these are no exception. They look fan-freaking-tastic! So sad about the kisses but I think these may be even better! Pinning! :)

20. Lady posted on March 23, 2014 at 6:08 pm (#)

These look really good. By the way, I saw one of your recipes featured in Woman’s World magazine a while back. That’s awesome. I read the magazine often and was excited to see you in there. I haven’t made any of your recipes yet, but I do check your blog sometimes and was excited to see you featured.

21. Arlene Slobecheski posted on March 23, 2014 at 8:21 pm (#)

These look and sound sooo delicious. I too love anything coconut. I am thinking of also trying them with White Chocolate coating and Key Lime flavor. Mounds had this flavor for a limited time a few summers ago and I loved them so much and couldn’t find them ever again. Thanks so much for this recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 24th, 2014 at 10:14 am

That would be so good! I need to do more Key Lime!

22. Karen @ The Food Charlatan posted on March 23, 2014 at 9:23 pm (#)

Love these Dorothy! And I’ve never even had the coconut Kisses, I’ve been missing out!! I’ll check down here in East Sac and let you know if I find anything :) I guess you aren’t as desperate now that you’ve made these bad boys though.

23. Medeja posted on March 24, 2014 at 2:41 am (#)

Looks and sounds like something I should definitely try:)

24. bjs posted on March 24, 2014 at 6:11 am (#)

Did you use sweetened or unsweetened coconut?

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 24th, 2014 at 10:03 am

Sweetened shredded – the kind in the baking aisle. :)

25. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures posted on March 24, 2014 at 11:49 am (#)

Coconut kisses sound good, but I doubt they will be as tasty as these truffles!

26. Laurie posted on March 24, 2014 at 1:43 pm (#)

I can not wait to make these truffles! The coconut, and the maple walnut.. YUM!!
    So excited for Spring cooking too, although I cook with coconut plenty all year round. It’s wonderful for gluten free baking! :)

27. Melissa posted on March 24, 2014 at 10:09 pm (#)

Ah, Coconut. Looks absolutely amazing. Thank you Dorothy- looking at the pictures makes my mouth water.

28. Samantha @ Five Heart Home posted on March 25, 2014 at 9:33 am (#)

I’m a coconut addict, too, Dorothy…and it sounds like I’ve been missing out having never tried the coconut Kisses! But I’m sure these are way better anyway. Gorgeous pictures, as always! :)

29. Jodi @ 5 Boys Baker posted on March 25, 2014 at 7:45 pm (#)

Dorothy, these look amazing. I love, love coconut!! I wish I could reach through my computer screen and grab one!! I will definitely be making these. Guess what, I saw coconut Hershey’s Kisses today, a grocery store right by my house has them. I could totally send you some if you want!

30. Jocelyn@Brucrewlife posted on March 25, 2014 at 8:12 pm (#)

These are my favorite truffles that you’ve made!! I am obsessed with coconut and chocolate, so this is my soul mate truffle! ;) Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Thanks Jocelyn!

31. Emily @ It Bakes Me Happy posted on March 26, 2014 at 7:03 am (#)

Oooh Dorothy I see these in my near future, I love chocolate and coconut!

32. Kellie posted on March 26, 2014 at 5:10 pm (#)

Aww..no Hershey s? But yes Dove are even better!

33. Amy @ Amy's Healthy Baking posted on March 27, 2014 at 5:35 pm (#)

I never really associated coconut with spring, but… I think that could change. And probably should change. And definitely will change. Your truffles look divine!! That’s such a bummer about the Hershey’s coconut kisses, and you’d think they’d respond to a tweet or three. I’m holding out for you that they bring them back closer to summer when tropical paradise is on people’s minds! But until then? Pass me another one of your truffles! :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 27th, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Neither did I…until pinterest and blogging!

34. Kelly - Life made Sweeter posted on March 28, 2014 at 12:28 am (#)

I am obsessed with coconut too and love how you packed these truffles with it! They look incredible and I would totally inhale the whole batch! Pinning :)

35. Aqiyl Aniys posted on March 28, 2014 at 7:07 pm (#)

Ummmmm Yummmmmy. Why are you teasing me with these coconut cream truffles? I will take 50.

36. Suzanne posted on March 31, 2014 at 9:44 am (#)

These looks so good. The coconut cream candy at See’s is one of my all time favorites.

37. luanne posted on March 31, 2014 at 7:50 pm (#)

Is it dessicated coconut or freshly grated coconut? So yummy I wanna try making

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 1st, 2014 at 6:23 am

It’s sweetened shredded coconut from the baking aisle. Enjoy!

38. Kristyn posted on April 15, 2014 at 11:25 am (#)

One day I’ll learn how to make truffles – they look delicious!!

39. Anna posted on April 16, 2014 at 5:27 pm (#)

This was so good! They were a little to sweet for me so I am going to cut down on the sugar a little next time.

40. MaryB posted on June 2, 2014 at 4:43 pm (#)

These look fantastic! Are you using sweetened coconut flakes or unsweetened coconut flakes? Have to try these – just watched your video, too. thanks.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 2nd, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Sweetened – just the regular angel flake from the baking aisle!

• MaryB replied on June 2nd, 2014 at 6:15 pm