Sep 22

Easy Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls

These Easy Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls come together quick – no waiting for rising dough! Filled with apples and topped with a caramel frosting, your family will kiss your feet if you make these for them.

Easy Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls made with Crescent Rolls! | crazyforcrust.com | #apple #caramel #Fallbaking

OMG you guys I used to be so good at time management. Like, annoyingly good.

When I was teaching, my lesson plans would be made for the following chapter before the previous one was over. All worksheets would be done and copied. Tests would be graded lickety split.

Christmas presents? Bought by Black Friday. Cards, out the week after Thanksgiving. Halloween costumes and decorations? Done in September.

But now? Now I have a list of tasks seven miles long and before I know it I’ve had a mile long Facebook chat.

Or I put “clean toilets” on my list and I go shopping instead.

I can’t focus! I have become…gulp…a procrastinator.

Although…I am writing this on Wednesday. For posting on Sunday. Because as you read it, I’m on a plane home from New Jersey.

So…whatever. Maybe I’m not that bad.

But I’d still rather Facebook Chat and shop for shoes than do…anything else.

If you’re to-do list just gets longer and you can’t focus, these Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls are perfect for you. You don’t have to wait for the dough to rise…so you can go buy new wedges.

While I love a regular cinnamon roll (obviously, since in the last few months I’ve made peanut butter ones and zucchini ones) I also love one that comes together quickly. I mean…who can remember to let dough rise? I can…when I’m not in procrastination mode.

Those times? Those are when I reach for Crescent Rolls.

Those rolls are like magic. Like the traveling pants – remember that book series? No matter who wore the pants, they looked great.

No matter what you do with Crescent Rolls…they come out perfect. And tasty.

Caramel apple cinnamon rolls aren’t new. My friends Trish, Hayley, and Sally all have recipes for them. These are different only because of time.

No rising = less time = happier me.

I cook my apples before adding them to the crescent rolls. I like a cooked apple in recipes better because then they aren’t rubbery. You roll up the sheet of crescent dough (simply press the perforated sections together), slice, and bake them. Then you top them with caramel frosting.

Caramel frosting? TO DIE FOR. Make it. Eat it with a spoon. Cooked brown sugar, butter, and cream. Now that’s magic!

It would seem that not only do I have an addiction to cinnamon rolls…but easy cinnamon rolls too. Since I’ve made lemon, orange, and now apple.

What version do you want to see next?

I promise to get off Facebook long enough to find out!

Easy Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls

Yield: 8 rolls

Ingredients:

For the Filling:

• 2 tabelspoons butter
  • 2 cups diced Granny Smith Apples (about 1 1/2 medium apples)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

For the Rolls:

• 1 tube crescent rolls
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

For the Frosting:

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silpat liner.
  2. Melt the butter in a small skillet over low-medium heat. Add apples, cinnamon and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are just beginning to turn translucent, about 15 minutes. Cool while preparing dough.
  3. Unroll crescent rolls on a cutting board, leaving them in the rectangle as much as possible. Press the seams together to form one big rectangle. Spread apples over the crescent rolls and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Roll up as tight as possible, slice into 8 equal portions. (It’s best to use a serrated knife to cut them.) Place on baking sheet. You can evenly space them (not touching) or you can place them close together so they bake together, creating a more doughy center (like traditional cinnamon rolls).
  4. Bake until golden on the top, 11-14 minutes.
  5. While they are baking, make the frosting. Melt butter and brown sugar together and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in cream and stir for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon cream. Add more cream as needed for desired consistency.
  6. Tip: you can skip making the frosting and serve caramel ice cream topping instead.

Easy Lemon Sweet Rolls

Lemon Sweet Rolls 1 words

Peanut Butter Caramel Apple Dip

peanut butter caramel apple dip

Caramel Apple Chocolate Bark by The Novice Chef
Apple Harvest Squares by A Family Feast
Inside Out Caramel Apple Fritters by Something Swanky

55 Responses to “Easy Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on September 22, 2013 at 3:22 am (#)

Best use ever of crescent rolls! I could really use one of these before my flight:) xoxo

2. Emily @ Life on Food posted on September 22, 2013 at 3:56 am (#)

Love this breakfast! Cinnamon rolls are amazing but when you jazz them up even better.

3. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on September 22, 2013 at 5:44 am (#)

OMG these look amazing! I’m a procrastinator too, so I love not having to wait for dough to rise. These are perfect for a quick but indulgent breakfast; right up my ally. :) Pinned!

4. Tieghan posted on September 22, 2013 at 5:44 am (#)

LOL, I used to be the same way. So on top of things. Now, I am always behind. It’s such a major bummer! I need to get back on my game!! These cinnamon rolls would help! I LOVE how quick and easy they are!

5. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on September 22, 2013 at 8:35 am (#)

Love the idea for crescent rolls, Dorothy! I’m posting a cinnamon roll recipe in a week or so and I used a rising dough method but this is awesome. Totally tucking it away in my mind for later use. I definitely have to go check out your peanut butter version, too! Sounds delectable. And sisterhood of the traveling pants? Loved that series! :) Hope you had a fun weekend with lots of sugar! :)

6. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on September 22, 2013 at 10:48 am (#)

Such a good idea of using the premise rolls! Takes a lot of the work out of it!

7. Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads posted on September 22, 2013 at 11:14 am (#)

Oh my goodness! These looks like a great breakfast! Pinning! :)

8. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on September 22, 2013 at 12:33 pm (#)

Great minds must think alike! I have a recipe similar to this from a few years ago :) Hope you had fun in NJ!

9. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on September 22, 2013 at 1:28 pm (#)

Oh-em-gee! YES! I love these! Apple pie filling and cinnamon rolls? I couldn’t imagine anything better!

10. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on September 22, 2013 at 1:38 pm (#)

Procrastinating? Never heard of that;) I like the way you think – no rise time, more shopping time! I wouldn’t have thought to put crescent rolls as cinnamon rolls. Time saver and still looks INCREDIBLE.

11. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on September 22, 2013 at 3:42 pm (#)

So fabulous Dorothy! I used to be totally on top of things too – now I’m a total Mom! Thanks for the shout-out girl :) Can’t wait for you to get back so I can hear all about the trip!

12. Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor posted on September 22, 2013 at 3:50 pm (#)

Yum! These rolls do look to die for. But of course, I love anything with caramel!

13. Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch posted on September 22, 2013 at 4:16 pm (#)

Glad I’m not the only procrastinator! These look amazing and who can pass up apple and caramel, let alone a cinnamon roll… Droool….

14. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on September 22, 2013 at 4:16 pm (#)

I wish my pants would fit me perfectly… let alone magic traveling pants :) These look super amazing. I saw them before I left for church this morning, and wished that they would magically appear on our breakfast table. Unfortunately it didn’t work.

15. irma posted on September 22, 2013 at 5:21 pm (#)

How about raspberry rolls,with almond slivers?

16. Martha@A Family Feast posted on September 22, 2013 at 5:58 pm (#)

These look amazing Dorothy! (And thanks for the link to our recipe too!)

17. Stacey posted on September 22, 2013 at 6:32 pm (#)

Chocolate next!! :-)

18. Meggy posted on September 22, 2013 at 10:31 pm (#)

Great recipe and perfect timing Dorothy! We have a small orchard and some apples are already down from the wind – I was thinking what to do with them… then you posted this. Thank you – and have a fab time away. I still slave at the chalkface three days a week and a batch of these is going in for hungry teacher friends – how long do you think they’ll last?

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 23rd, 2013 at 11:43 am

I had them for a couple days before they disappeared! You can also freeze them without frosting. The frosting gets hard as it cools, but if you warm it back up and add more cream as needed, it’ll smooth right back out. :)

19. tanya posted on September 23, 2013 at 4:46 am (#)

I have a weakness for caramel and easy recipes! As for procrastination, I tell myself I’m just easily distracted. I’ve developed ADD late in life. It’s a wonder I get anything done.

20. Tahnycooks posted on September 23, 2013 at 6:38 am (#)

I get so “cloudy” in my mind at times I have to ask my dear husband to help me organize and prioritize. Pathetic. I will say though that I would set everything aside to make these CARAMEL APPLE CINNAMON ROLLS though! See, priorities gotta get them straight!

21. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on September 23, 2013 at 7:08 am (#)

Those cinnamon apples are calling my name! Mmmmm! And who are we kidding? I’d rather buy shoes (or do anything else) than clean the toilets too! :)

22. Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina posted on September 23, 2013 at 7:08 am (#)

Wow these look amazing- who knew Crescent Rolls could make such a delish Cinnamon Roll. These will definitely be making an appearance in a future brunch of mine.

23. Samantha @ Five Heart Home posted on September 23, 2013 at 8:31 am (#)

I can so relate, Dorothy…I used to be organized, early to appointments, and always prepared…pre-kids (and pre-social media!). Now I’m just a car-key-losing, late-running shadow of my former self. ;) I think these cinnamon rolls would help…they look perfect for fall! And if they get my family to kiss my feet as a bonus? I’m in.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 23rd, 2013 at 11:41 am

Yes, a total shadow, that’s what I am! Ha! Thanks Samantha!

24. Maggie @MaggieCooks posted on September 23, 2013 at 3:20 pm (#)

I used to think cinnamon rolls could only be filled with butter and cinnamon, I love the addition of the caramel apples!
    They must make a great combination :)!

25. Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com posted on September 23, 2013 at 3:38 pm (#)

I’m going to make these because I love apple cinnamon anything! Okay, actually, the real reason is because you promised my family would kiss my feet if I do, and I am dying for that to actually happen. :)

26. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry posted on September 23, 2013 at 3:59 pm (#)

Your talking to the queen of procrastination over here! Also the queen of no patience so this rolls are perfect for me.

27. vanillasugarblog posted on September 23, 2013 at 4:33 pm (#)

Not a fan of those crescent rolls on their own BUT when you dress em up this way–yes please!

28. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on September 23, 2013 at 6:50 pm (#)

These look amazing Dorothy! And I’m right there with you on the procrastinating! My to do list keeps growing and so does my ability to distract myself with other less productive things! Eeek!

29. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl posted on September 23, 2013 at 8:13 pm (#)

Oh goodness, I am loving these cinnamon rolls. Cinnamon rolls are my weakness, I can eat them all day (I wish I literally could). And I am loving the apples, perfect for a future treat with our apple picking trip soon! Thanks for sharing!

30. Deb@CookingOnTheFrontBurner posted on September 23, 2013 at 8:19 pm (#)

These look fantastic! How about cherries?

31. stephanie posted on September 23, 2013 at 8:52 pm (#)

I must be blind. .. but how long do you cook them?

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 24th, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Nope, you’re not blind, I’m just crazy. 11-14 minutes, until golden on top. I added it! :)

32. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on September 23, 2013 at 9:16 pm (#)

LOVE these, Dorothy! Crescent dough is the bomb.

33. jackie posted on September 23, 2013 at 9:26 pm (#)

I really need to stop reading your blog at night…lol
    yumm!

34. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on September 24, 2013 at 6:24 am (#)

Duuuuuude. These are my new favorite way to eat cinnamon rolls! And eat them while remembering the good ol’ days when I was organized and on top of everything ;)

35. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on September 24, 2013 at 6:30 am (#)

So perfect for last minute cinnamon roll cravings (which I have all too frequently!)!

36. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on September 24, 2013 at 6:39 am (#)

Haha, I’ve ALWAYS been a procrastinator and now that I’m pregnant and more tired, I’m totally worthless ;)

These rolls look so yummy!

38. Natasha @ The Cake Merchant posted on September 24, 2013 at 9:27 am (#)

What a great way to use crescent rolls! And I love caramel apple anything, so I’m drooling over these.

39. Amy posted on September 24, 2013 at 8:47 pm (#)

Dorothy, I am the same way with time now that I’m blogging!! In high school, I started all of my homework the second I got home and finished before dinner. In college, I spent my weekends reading ahead — at least 1, if not 2, chapters — for every class. And now? Pinterest, Instagram, and FoodGawker somehow steal all of my minutes away. Not good!! But hey, if getting distracted means I can still have delicious caramel apple cinnamon rolls (SWOON!), then I’m 100% okay with it!

40. Jocelyn @ BruCrew Life posted on September 29, 2013 at 10:49 pm (#)

I know exactly what you’re talking about!! I am the queen of procrastination! ;) I need to work on it! These rolls sound like perfection, yum!

41. Kareen posted on October 13, 2013 at 11:16 pm (#)

I live in Guatemala and here we don’t have Pilsbury crescent rolls. Could you give me the recipe to make the dought?

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 14th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I’m sorry, I don’t have one. But I think you could use pizza dough, or frozen bread dough in it’s place!

42. Cate Dau posted on October 31, 2013 at 7:40 am (#)

I made them today and my crescent roll dough got hot and sticky when I was putting the apples onto the dough. that made it hard to cut them up. but after eating them they were yummy

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 31st, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Yeah, it helps if you cool them a bit. I thought I put that in the directions, but I’ll be sure to add it! :) I’m glad you liked them!

43. Pingback: 30 Delicious Apple Recipes - Formula Mom | Texas Blogger

44. Pingback: 15 Apple Breakfasts for Good Health

45. Pingback: Apple Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls With Caramel Frosting Recipe - It's A Fabulous Life

46. Cindy posted on September 18, 2014 at 5:09 pm (#)

Do you spread the filling on the short end or longer side?

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 18th, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I spread the filling all over and then roll up starting at the shorter side. Enjoy!

47. Pingback: September is National Apple Month – 30 Days of Recipes to Celebrate