Aug 07

Apple Gorgonzola Crostata

This Apple Gorgonzola Crostata is the perfect lunch…or dessert! Made quick with a Pillsbury Pie Crust and CrunchPak Apples, this meal (or sweet treat!) comes together in no time at all!

Apple Gorgonzola Crostata by crazyforcrust.com | A little sweet and a little savory - great for any meal or occasion!

Fact: Every night after dinner, I want dessert.

Fact: Every night after dinner, I usually have dessert.

It’s just the way I roll, people. I heart dessert. Probably more than I love crust, or at least as much as.

My favorite pie is apple pie. I could eat it, or some version of it, every single day and be a happy girl.

Now, what if I told you you could have apple pie for dinner and dessert? Would your head explode from the paradox, like mine?

Good, then this is the post for you.

I give you dessert-that’s-dinner: Apple Gorgonzola Crostata.

This crostata (aka galette or rustic crusted pie) is made with apples and topped with gorgonzola and walnuts. The addition of the gorgonzola, one of my favorite cheeses, makes it lunch or dinner food, in my book. That’s a savory element – and there ain’t no savory in my desserts, yo’.

Now, there are people that would say, “Why, yes. Gorgonzola is a dessert. Have you ever heard of a cheese platter after dinner?”

To which I’ll reply, “Yes, but I don’t understand. Cheese is an appetizer, not a dessert. Cookies are dessert, not cheese.”

BUT, for those of you that love the after dinner cheese course, this could be your dessert.

However, I highly recommend serving this for dinner or lunch. Then you can eat apple pie for dessert.

It’s pie squared!

This crostata comes together so fast and easy. Just a few simple ingredients combine for a truly rich flavor.

I made this even easier by using CrunchPak Apples. I met the nice folks at Crunchpak at BlogHer Food back in June and they sent me a huge cooler full of their apple packs. Seriously, it was enough for an army. It’s been several weeks, but we still have a couple of the Foodles in the fridge – and they’re still good. That’s why I love CrunchPak apples – they come sliced and stay good forever. Jordan lives on them during the school year because apples are her favorite. With her braces it’s too hard to eat whole apples, so the ready-made slices that don’t brown in her lunchbox are perfect.

You can certainly use regular Granny Smith apples for this crostata, but if you have some CrunchPak in your fridge, it saves the step of coring! I peeled them, and slice the wedges in half, so they’d cook better. You cook the apples with some cinnamon and sugar and butter, then once they’ve softened you mix in some lemon juice and the gorgonzola and walnuts. Add it to the crust (I used a Pillsbury Pie Crust to make this much easier and faster) and bake.

And, if you don’t like gorgonzola, you can substitute your favorite gourmet cheese. Brie would be fabulous, as would white cheddar. Use what you love!

It would be the perfect lunch or dinner, alongside a simple green salad. Or, if you’re that kind of person, it would make the perfect dessert too. ;)

Pie for dinner, pie for dessert. My kind of meal time!

If you love apple goodness, check out my friend Ashton today. She made an Inside-Out Apple Fritter today!

Apple Gorgonzola Crostata

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:

• 1-14ounce bag Crunchpak green apples (or equivalent amount sliced apples)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Zest of one small lemon
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
  • 1 refrigerated pie crust (from a pack of two)
  • 1 egg (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Peel your apples carefully. Slice them in half the long way, so you get a thinner apple slice than what cam in the package. (If you’re using regular apples then you need to peel, core, and slice them thin.)
  3. Melt butter in a medium frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the apples, cinnamon, and sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until they just start to become transparent, but not enough that they become mushy (about 5 minutes).
  4. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
  5. Unroll pie crust onto a cookie sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper.
  6. Stir lemon, zest, walnuts, and cheese into the apple mixture. Pour apple mixture onto the center of the crust and spread it out so that there is about a 1” border around the edge. Fold up the edge over the apples, crimping as needed to go around the circle, creating a crust.
  7. Whisk egg with a splash of water and using a small brush or your fingers, spread some around the edge of the crust. (This will give it a golden brown look.) You won’t use all the egg.
  8. Bake for about 22 minutes, until the crust starts to get golden brown. Cool slightly before slicing and serving.

Recipe adapted from Giada de Laurentiis.

You might also like:

Zucchini & Squash Galette

Zucchini Galette

Apple Butter Pie Bars

apple butter pie bars 4 words

Enjoy!

I received apples from CrunchPak that I used to make this recipe. This post is not sponsored, I just really love their product!

41 Responses to “Apple Gorgonzola Crostata”

1. Miss Messy posted on August 7, 2013 at 4:52 pm (#)

I absolutely love blue cheese and this looks amazing! :)

2. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on August 7, 2013 at 5:06 pm (#)

I am with you on a lot you say here! We almost always have cheese and friut after dinner. It’s an Italian thing! This is something I so could serve after dinner and feel great about doing it!

3. Yvonne @ bitterbaker posted on August 7, 2013 at 5:17 pm (#)

Ooo la la! This is like the ultimate dessert for me! Always after having sweets, I crave something savory – and vice versa. Can’t wait to try this!

4. Jen @JuanitasCocina posted on August 7, 2013 at 5:52 pm (#)

So, you’re saying I get twice the goodness (dinner AND dessert) but only need to do half the chewing? SOLD!

5. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on August 7, 2013 at 6:14 pm (#)

This sounds and looks so fancy! But I love that it’s a deconstructed pie that probably is pretty fast to make. The best kind of dessert :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 8th, 2013 at 8:18 am

I love how fast crostatas and galettes come together. Easy and delish!

6. Jennie @themessybakerblog posted on August 7, 2013 at 6:47 pm (#)

Something sweet after dinner is a must for this gal. This crostata looks delish.

7. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on August 7, 2013 at 7:15 pm (#)

Dessert for dinner. I like it! And it’s so easy, perfect for the school year!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 8th, 2013 at 8:17 am

Definitely!! And kids love pie for dinner. :)

8. Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking posted on August 7, 2013 at 7:32 pm (#)

Pie for dinner!!! I have a really hard time not having dessert everynight too. My diets are basically weeks when I eat sweets only once a day. Yeah, I know. Shameful.

This looks gorg! And holy easy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 8th, 2013 at 8:17 am

ME TOO!!!! Once a day is hard!

9. Tieghan posted on August 7, 2013 at 8:07 pm (#)

New favorite dinner right here!! I love gorgonzola and with warm apples!! Wow! So gorgeous and perfect, Dorothy! Can I come for dinner or dessert or whatever we are calling this!?!

10. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on August 7, 2013 at 9:17 pm (#)

Pie for dinner? Yes please!

11. Ashley posted on August 8, 2013 at 5:01 am (#)

Ooo I love pairing apples with cheese – this sounds wonderful! And pie for dinner is always a good thing. White cheddar sounds fantastic too! I have to have dessert every night too – some nights it’s only chocolate milk but hey at least it’s something : )

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 8th, 2013 at 8:09 am

Totally! Chocolate milk is a great dessert, although I usually chase it with cookies. :)

12. Erin | The Law Student's Wife posted on August 8, 2013 at 5:43 am (#)

I am ALLLLLL about dessert as often as possible. I eat it after dinner and lunch every day! And now something sweet FOR dinner? Sign me up!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 8th, 2013 at 8:09 am

I’m glad it’s not just me Erin! :)

13. Jamie @lifelovelemons posted on August 8, 2013 at 5:43 am (#)

Apple and gorgonzola? Im intrigued!

• Dorothy Kern replied on August 8th, 2013 at 8:05 am

It’s a great combo, like brie and apples!

14. Meghan @ The Tasty Fork posted on August 8, 2013 at 9:12 am (#)

I saw a picture of this on Instagram and I had come over to see the recipe! I just got a pizza stone and it can be used on the grill. This is the perfect recipes to test it with!! LOVE pie crust for pizza :)

16. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on August 8, 2013 at 11:13 am (#)

I totally agree – cheese has no place in dessert This looks like a fabulous lunch to me :)

17. Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper posted on August 8, 2013 at 2:44 pm (#)

Yum! I love that this performs double duty. I also have dessert almost every night ;-)

18. Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig posted on August 8, 2013 at 2:54 pm (#)

The perfect sweet and salty combination. This is going in my Fall recipe box.

19. alex posted on August 8, 2013 at 4:31 pm (#)

My favorite time to eat pie is breakfast! oh..and lunch and dinner! and dessert! I love how this recipe seems like it took hours to prepare, but has simple ingredients! Such a time saver!

20. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on August 8, 2013 at 6:18 pm (#)

Seriously, the more I learn about Jordan, the more I feel that she and Gavin are twins separated at birth (a few years). Gavin LOVES apples. Like he has an apple a day (at least one) and maybe also some apple sauce . . . and apple juice until I beg him to diversify. This looks amazing Dorothy!!

21. Heather @ French Press posted on August 8, 2013 at 8:10 pm (#)

I {heart} you! I LOVE my apple pie with cheese, and blue is my favorite, and you said it’s okay to eat pie for dinner:)

22. Kumar's Kitchen posted on August 8, 2013 at 11:51 pm (#)

oh yummmmmm :-) apples and gorgonzola have worked out so wonderfully in this hand formed pie…just love how it has crisped brown with that sweet tart fruity apples in them…would make an awesome dessert :-)

23. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on August 9, 2013 at 6:46 am (#)

Yesssssss. A savory apple pie? I’m in! And I luuuuurve gorgonzola!

24. Kathy posted on August 9, 2013 at 6:50 am (#)

Dessert for dinner?! My family would love this!

25. Tahnycooks posted on August 9, 2013 at 9:22 am (#)

I love all the flavor combos in this Crostata! And I especially love that it can be for dessert or lunch, dinner or breakfast! Great yummy recipe!

26. Pingback: Chocolate Fluffernutter Sandwich - Crazy for Crust

27. Amy posted on August 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm (#)

Ohmygoodness Dorothy, I LOVE the way you think!! I eat dessert after dinner every single day too (and sometimes two… or one after lunch!). There’s no way this counts as dessert though — not with the cheese! I think my favorite is goat cheese, so maybe I’d use that instead. My parents would love that!

28. Nicole posted on August 12, 2013 at 7:32 pm (#)

I like how quick and easy this is! And I love, love, love gorgonzola cheese!