Jun 29

Zucchini and Squash Galette

Is your zucchini plant producing yet? This Zucchini and Squash Galette is the perfect way to enjoy the vegetables from your garden!

Zucchini and Squash Galette by crazyforcrust.com | Comes together in minutes, this galette is a perfect way to enjoy your garden vegetables!

So…savory. I’ve only posted a few on here, and I feel weird every time I do it. I mean, I do boast this blog as a sinfully sweet I’m-addicted-to-sugar hangout. But sometimes I make dinner and it’s a recipe I love, one I make all the time, and I want to share it.

Plus, I asked Instagram. And you all said yes, you wanted to see it.

AND, it has a crust. Since I’m crazy for crust…I think it fits.

Right? Please say yes.

My zucchini plant is out of control. Normally, we get a fair amount of zucchini (those plants are like rabbits) but this year it’s a little insane. We had a bed built when we got our sprinklers fixed. The landscaper put in magical soil. I don’t know what kind or brand but I swear it was made of glitter and rainbows and some sort of vegetable crack or something. Within a few weeks, the zucchini plants were as big as we’d ever gotten, and they’d completely over taken the garden.

Now? A month later? They’re as tall as Jordan.

When we got back from our trip, even though we had someone checking and picking while we were gone, there were about 4 zucchini hidden that were arm sized. And everyday Mel brings me two more.

Don’t get me started on the yellow squash and the cucumbers. I see the babies on the cucumber plant and I see lots of pickles in my future.

Anyway, I’ve been baking and cooking with zucchini like mad. This galette was one of the first things I made with our abundant crop, and it’s one of my favorite dinners. I make it every summer. Sometimes for lunch, sometimes for dinner. It’s better for me to make it for dinner, because at lunch I’d just eat the whole thing myself. #wishIwasjoking

It’s so easy and it comes together in minutes. I start with a Pillsbury refrigerated crust. Then I spread on some cream cheese that has been mixed with pesto. Pesto is one of my absolute favorite things. It’s too bad I didn’t place the basil in the magical soil. It doesn’t like the bed we put it in, so I used jarred for this. But use whatever kind you like.

You can also use ricotta instead of cream cheese. You could probably also sub greek yogurt, but mine was furry, so I used cream cheese. Or do a mix.

Then you top the mixture with your veggies and fold up the sides to create the galette. A galette is simply a pie or a tart that’s made without a pan; it’s freeform. It’s rustic, and the crust gives you something to hold on to, like a pizza.

If you have other summer veggies, you can mix and match what you put in your galette. I’ve also used corn and cherry tomatoes, for a pop of color. Use whatever you have, or like!

But don’t forget the pesto. That’s not allowed. Ever. :)

Onto the next zucchini food. I’ve still got approximately 1,324 zucchinis left. What should I make next?

Zucchini Galette

Yield: 8 slices

Zucchini Galette

• 1 refrigerated pie crust (from a box of 2)
  • 2 ounces cream cheese, softened (I used low-fat)
  • 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
  • 1 small zucchini squash
  • 1 small yellow squash
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper.
  2. Stir together the cream cheese and pesto in a small bowl. Slice each squash into thin rounds.
  3. Unroll your pie crust onto your cookie sheet. Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the pie crust, leaving about a 1/2” border around the edges.
  4. Lay your squash slices on top of the cream cheese. You can be random, or do a pattern.
  5. Gently fold over the edges to form a crust. Sprinkle with a few pinches of pepper.
  6. Bake for 20-24 minutes, until the crust starts to get golden brown and isn’t transparent looking. Cool slightly before slicing.

Notes

For some extra color or variety, add some corn and/or cherry tomatoes to your tart when you layer on the squashes.

Need dinner ideas? How about:

Homemade Pork Buns

pork-buns03-1words

Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Chicken-Avocado-Salad-Sandwiches (3 of 4)w

Have a great weekend!

Savory from friends:
Grilled BBQ Chicken by Mom on Timeout
Grilled Corn Salad with Chile Lime Vinaigrette by Lemon Tree Dwelling
Brie and Jam Hand Pies by Something Swanky

65 Responses to “Zucchini and Squash Galette”

1. Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life posted on June 29, 2013 at 7:32 am (#)

Pesto is one if my most favorite savory ingredients ever! I put it on sandwiches, in salads, but this tops all! Crust, cream cheese and PESTO?! I think out veggies are on steroids, too and I know my whole family would love this. Pinned!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 29th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I could live on pesto!! Thanks Mary Frances!

2. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on June 29, 2013 at 7:40 am (#)

This already looked awesome, but then I read pesto! SOLD! I’ve been telling my husband we need to plant a garden and I think zucchini just got added to the list of things to plant :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 29th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

It’s the easiest and sturdiest to grow. We almost always have a crop, as long as the bees do their jobs!

3. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting posted on June 29, 2013 at 9:24 am (#)

I love this! We used to get so much zucchini from our garden and I never thought to make a pizza. I love it!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 29th, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Thanks Julianne! I love putting it on pizza too. I’m already burned out on it, lol!

4. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on June 29, 2013 at 12:32 pm (#)

Oh, I love galettes! My pie crusts are never very pretty, but with a galette, it doesn’t matter! It just makes it look more “rustic” ;)

I love me some summer squash, so I definitely want to give this a try! So simple too :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 29th, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Totally rustic, and easy! Thank you Jennifer!

5. Jenn@eatcakefordinner posted on June 29, 2013 at 1:04 pm (#)

Yep . . . definitely making this one. Hopefully, I’ll get enough basil off my basil plant to make homemade pesto. Sounds perfect.

6. Becca from ItsYummi.com posted on June 29, 2013 at 2:06 pm (#)

YES! Resounding YES! Next to asparagus, squashes of all varieties are my favorite veggies. I’m making this one PRONTO, but I’ll have to mix up a batch of spinach pesto because I don’t have fresh basil at the moment.

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 29th, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I love spinach pesto! I forgot to buy it last week. Must add it to my list. Enjoy!

7. Aimee @ ShugarySweets posted on June 29, 2013 at 3:35 pm (#)

I have been wanting to make a savory galette for some time now. This looks gorgeous (and my veggies are growing fast too this year)!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 29th, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Thanks Aimee! I make them all the time – so easy YUM!

8. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) posted on June 29, 2013 at 6:00 pm (#)

That looks so delish! I love the addition of zucchini and squash in this!!

9. Kathy posted on June 29, 2013 at 6:08 pm (#)

I’ve never made a galette before. Not sure why! They always look beautiful! I wonder if I could make this and tell my kids it’s “pizza?”

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 29th, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Or tell them it’s pie. Dessert for dinner!

10. Amy posted on June 29, 2013 at 6:15 pm (#)

Oh Dorothy… You’re like my long-lost-best-friend. I LOVE pesto and zucchini!! I wish I had a garden. The first thing I’d plant would be basil. (And then try to hide it from my guy… He hates the stuff!) I’d bake so much zucchini bread and chocolate zucchini muffins. It’d be paradise.

I nearly forgot! How was Jordan’s first sleep over???

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 29th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

It was great! We’re braving a second one on Monday, eek! They actually slept, shocker!!

My basil is dying. I’m so sad! I love basil so much!

• Amy replied on June 29th, 2013 at 11:09 pm

That’s exciting! I hope the next one goes just as well — complete with sleep! :)

Oh no! All of this Sacramento heat… I wish we had weather more like Tuesday; it feels like a furnace outside these days!

11. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on June 29, 2013 at 8:07 pm (#)

Absolutely GORGEOUS! Zucchini are seriously like the most magical plant ever. I hear all the time about how people who have never been able to grow ANYthing can get zucchini to grow like crazy – it’s just too awesome! This looks absolutely killer and yes, I would go ahead and eat the whole thing :) Pinned to my zucchini board!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 30th, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Thanks Trish! You have a zucchini board? I need one of those! :)

12. Jackie posted on June 29, 2013 at 8:30 pm (#)

yummy!!! Cant wait till I can have dairy and gluten again!

13. Tieghan posted on June 29, 2013 at 11:20 pm (#)

So pretty and the perfect summer dinner. I just got off a 5 hour flight and am starving! I could probably eat that whole thing right now!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 30th, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I’m glad you got there safe Tieghan! :)

14. Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig posted on June 30, 2013 at 7:14 am (#)

It’s beautiful, perfect for the mounds of zucchini growing in everyone’s yard!

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 30th, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I know, it never stops growing! Thanks Cathy!

15. Nessa posted on June 30, 2013 at 10:25 am (#)

This is so rustic and beautiful! Looks delish :)

16. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on June 30, 2013 at 6:54 pm (#)

Oh my gosh, Dorothy – I love this! We don’t have a garden, but my dad does, so you’d better believe I’m swiping some of his produce for this! ;-)

• Dorothy Kern replied on June 30th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Thanks Ashley! I wish I could send you some!!

17. Kelley posted on June 30, 2013 at 9:00 pm (#)

Oh wow! I didn’t realize it was that easy! It looks amazing! Another crazy for crust recipe that I on my ‘to make’ list!

18. lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on July 1, 2013 at 5:45 am (#)

Dorothy, I love your savory recipes! Bring ‘em on! This looks fantastic, and I know what you mean. Zucchini plans take over our garden so much that Nathan won’t actually let me plant them anymore because it means SO MUCH LESS of everything else. Good news though! I have a really yummy zucchini recipe coming this week :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 1st, 2013 at 6:45 am

I know, nothing else is growing because of the zucchini. From now on it needs it’s own bed!

19. Mr. & Mrs. P posted on July 1, 2013 at 12:14 pm (#)

what an easy and tasty galette!! Perfect for summer

20. Heather @ French Press posted on July 1, 2013 at 7:40 pm (#)

we don;t have any ripe squash yet, but I know what I’m going to do with them when I do….LOVE when you get savory Dorothy!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 2nd, 2013 at 7:16 am

Thanks heather! I need to do it more often. :)

21. carrian posted on July 1, 2013 at 8:07 pm (#)

oh zucchini, you just keep coming. So excited to finally have something new to try!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 2nd, 2013 at 7:16 am

I have so. many. zucchini. recipes coming! Too much zucchini!

22. Laura@bakinginpyjamas posted on July 2, 2013 at 2:47 am (#)

This is a great recipe to use up Corgette (That’s what we call them here in the UK) I can imagine it tastes delicious.

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 2nd, 2013 at 7:12 am

Totally, I’ve been using it up for days and it’s still growing! :) Thanks Laura!

23. Bethany posted on July 2, 2013 at 9:06 pm (#)

That look so yummy! As a child, I hated squash and zucchini, I remember just choking it down when my mom made it, but as an adult, I love it! So glad my tastes changed :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 3rd, 2013 at 8:06 am

My daughter is like that too. I hope she changes, because we’ll be eating it all summer! LOL!

24. Jocelyn @ BruCrew Life posted on July 2, 2013 at 10:29 pm (#)

I am always looking for dinner ideas, and this would be a winner in my house!! I will definitely be trying this soon!! Crazy about your monster zucchini plants too!!

25. Jeni posted on July 3, 2013 at 5:59 am (#)

This looks delicious and oh so summery!

26. Deborah posted on July 3, 2013 at 8:01 am (#)

This totally fits – and I’m totally loving it! I could go for this for lunch today for sure!

27. Kristen Duke posted on July 3, 2013 at 4:33 pm (#)

This looks delicious! Zucchini + Pesto + Cream Cheese, can’t go wrong there!

28. Alyssa Rivers posted on July 4, 2013 at 7:32 am (#)

This looks fantastic and perfect for all of the summer veggies!!

29. Pingback: Carrot Zucchini Apple Bread

30. Mackenzie @ Cheerios and Lattes posted on July 6, 2013 at 11:45 am (#)

I love pesto; this would be delicious with fresh veggies! Love the idea!

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 6th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Thanks Mackenzie! It’s so versatile for any veggie!

31. Pingback: 46 Sweet and Savory Zucchini Ideas - Crazy for Crust

32. lisa posted on July 19, 2013 at 5:29 am (#)

This is so easy and looks so pretty! I think I may add this to my dinner list for next week :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on July 19th, 2013 at 9:06 am

Enjoy! It’s one of my summer favorites!

33. Pingback: Chicken Bruschetta Pizza Galette - Shugary Sweets

34. Pingback: 52 Weeks of No-Repeat Meal Plans # 14 with All She Cooks

36. Pingback: Week #14 Meal Plan - All She Cooks

37. Pingback: 18 Zucchini Recipes - because there really is such a thing as too many zucchini! | Bless This Mess