This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate zucchini muffins are the perfect way to use zucchini. The muffins are so moist, full of chocolate flavor, and you can make them one of two ways: with cinnamon sugar or chocolate chips.
Everyone will love these chocolate muffins and you can use up some of those zucchini that turned into baseball bats when you weren’t looking.
These chocolate zucchini muffins might look like your average chocolate muffins, but they’re anything but average. They are so moist with a tender crumb thanks to zucchini and they’ve got a delicious cinnamon sugar topping (or tons of chocolate chips).
The chocolate pairs so well with the cinnamon-sugar and the zucchini makes these mini muffins stay moist! I absolutely love adding zucchini to pretty much everything (even cinnamon rolls!).
Table of Contents
Easy Muffins are a Great Way to Use Up Zucchini!
We used to grow zucchini in our garden for years and so I got really good at finding ways to use up all the zucchini coming out of our ears. If you’ve ever grown it yourself you know what I’m talking about!
This chocolate zucchini muffin recipe is one I’d make on repeat – it’s great for using up fresh zucchini and, hello, they’re chocolate. I love any excuse to have chocolate for breakfast! In case you’re wondering, you can’t taste the zucchini – it melts into the muffins and gives them a lot of moisture.
These are basically zucchini bread muffins with a chocolate twist. They are super easy to make, freezer-friendly, and they taste like a baked donut.
How to Add Zucchini to Muffins
You will want to shred your zucchini for this recipe. I use my box grater but you can also use a food processor.
Shred all of your zucchini at once and freeze it in baggies for easy baking all year long!PRO TIP
Shredding the zucchini ensures it will disappear into the batter as the muffins bake. You won’t end up with chunks of zucchini in your muffins.
You don’t need to squeeze the water out of the zucchini. Just shred it and then fold it into the batter at the end.
How to Make Zucchini Muffins
This is an easy one-bowl muffin recipe! All you do is combine sugar, oil and applesauce in a large bowl. I like to use apple sauce in place of some of the oil – makes the muffins a little healthier!
Then add eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, cocoa, salt and cinnamon. Give it stir and once combined add the flour and mix it in.
Don’t have buttermilk? Make your own: add 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice, then add the rest of the milk to 5 ounces. Let it sit a few minutes and you’ll have sour milk/buttermilk!
You can’t skip the buttermilk because it is the acid that activates the baking soda, causing the muffins to rise.
One Batter = TWO kinds of Muffins
You have choices when you’re deciding what kind of zucchini muffins to make:
- Top them with cinnamon sugar before baking OR
- Add chocolate chips to the mixture
It just depends on what your mood is!
Make Mini Muffins or Regular Size
You can bake these in any size muffin pan. You’ll get about 48 mini muffins and about 18 regular sized ones, your choice.
A Few More Tips…
- These zucchini muffins are freezer-friendly! They will keep in the freezer for up to a month.
- Want to make doughnut muffins? Bake them in mini muffin pans without the cinnamon sugar topping. When they’re cool, dip them in melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar!
- Make these Dairy Free by using any non-dairy milk and adding 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar to the recipe.
These mini chocolate zucchini muffins are so soft and chocolaty and loaded with zucchini but you would never guess it’s in there. If you have a lot of zucchini to use up you should definitely give them a try. Make them for breakfast, brunch or snacks – I can promise they won’t last long.
Other Zucchini Recipes
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar divided
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 5 ounces buttermilk see note
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 small or 1 medium zucchini)
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips OR
- 1/2 cup cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray mini muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray or line regular size cupcake pans with liners.
- Stir 3/4 cup sugar, oil, and applesauce in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. Stir in eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, cocoa, and salt. Stir in flour. Stir in zucchini.
- Spoon into muffin pans and bake until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool at least 5 minutes in pan before removing. Regular size muffins: 15-20 minutes. Mini Muffins: 10-12 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to a month.
- Make your own buttermilk: add 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice to a measuring cup then add enough milk to make 5 ounces. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Looking for the mini doughnut muffins recipe? Make muffins as directed without chocolate chips and without cinnamon sugar topping. Bake in a mini muffin pan for 10-12 minutes. Cool slightly. Before serving, dip each in 4 tablespoons melted butter then toss in cinnamon sugar (1/2 cup sugar + 2 teaspoons cinnamon). Serve immediately.
Looking for an easy muffin recipe? Make these Chocolate Zucchini Muffins! They are moist and filled with zucchini and chocolate. Kids love these!
Last Updated on August 4, 2020
These are great but the recipe is a little confusing. The ingredients say 3/4 c sugar divided but the first step says add 3/4 c sugar. Also, the steps don’t mention when to add the “choose one” options. I could def be wrong and I’m missing it but just in case I’m not I wanted to mention 🙂
In your post you say you add cinnamon but it’s not listed in the recipe! Also, the recipe says 3/4 cups sugar divided but the instructions say to add it all to a bowl, can you clarify. Is there a recipe for the cinnamon sugar? Do I add it before I bake them? Thanks!
Can we make these muffins eggless.. Please tell the substitute also
Delicious. I love the zucchini recipes I have been seeing. This one is great
ohh!! CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI DOUGHNUT MUFFINS ! I will apply it soon! I really like this flavor