Easy Italian Pasta Salad is an easy side dish for any potluck. This simple pasta salad recipe has fresh vegetables, olives, pepperoni and salami and a Italian dressing that makes it the perfect summer salad.
I’ve been making this recipe for years and everyone always loves it!
This is one of those simple recipes that I’ve been making for over 20 years and have never thought to post about it until now. This is the first pasta salad recipe I ever made and I’ve been making it for every potluck or summer party since before I was married.
I absolutely love pasta salads in summer. I love that they are better when you make them ahead of time; this is perfect for a potluck or for an easy dinner recipe. The temperature in Sacramento in the summer often reaches above 90° or 100° and cooking can be unbearable. I can make pasta salads in the morning before it’s too hot and then we can eat it for dinner and lunch for a few days.
There are so many Italian Pasta Salad recipes online, with different ingredients to suit different tastes – and that’s why pasta salads are so good!
What goes in an Italian Pasta Salad?
Anything goes – add what you like! This versatile pasta salad recipe is great with all sorts of different ingredients.
I always make my Italian Pasta Salad with pepperoni AND salami because I love both. My Pizza Tortellini Pasta Salad also has pepperoni and I think of this Italian version to be similar because pizza and Italian are alike.
When it comes to ingredients in this salad, you can mix and match your favorites:
- Bell peppers – use green or red or a mix of colors
- Olives – I love using black olives but you can also add green if you like
- Pepperoni and salami – or use one or the other – or even add shredded chicken
- Mozzarella cheese – use fresh or cubed mozzarella and you can even add shredded parmesan
- I didn’t add things like artichokes or pepperoncini but you can if you like!
What is the best dressing for an Italian Pasta Salad?
Always use what you like! For my recipe I used a bottle of Italian Dressing from the grocery store. Many of the brands have different flavors of Italian Dressing, like spicy or tuscan. You could also use balsamic or any kind of vinaigrette you want.
Want to make your own homemade dressing? Check out my balsamic dressing recipe!
This simple Italian Pasta Salad is a perfect side dish or summer main dish and can be made to your liking!
Want even more? Subscribe to Crazy for Crust to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @crazyforcrust and using the hashtag #crazyforcrust.
Italian Pasta Salad
- 12 ounces rotini pasta
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 8-ounce can sliced black olives drained
- 20 slices salami quartered
- 20 slices pepperoni halved
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese diced
- 1 container Italian Dressing see note
- Cook and drain pasta as directed on package. Cool completely. (I like to rinse the cooked pasta with cold water to cool it down faster.)
- Mix pasta with peppers, olives, salami, pepperoni, tomatoes and cheese.
- Add dressing - as desired - and toss salad. Chill until ready to serve. Can be made up to 8 hours before serving.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: June 26, 2019