Buttery Homemade Rolls (4 ways)
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Buttery Homemade Rolls are the perfect dinner roll recipe! These are soft and buttery and perfect made four different ways! Make these rolls into twists, knots, or even butter rolls easily with just a few simple steps.
This post is sponsored by Fleischmann’s® Yeast, and you can be assured that making homemade rolls are easy, no matter what shape you make them.
In my house, it wouldn’t be dinner without the rolls. I look for an excuse to make homemade rolls all the time, and I can usually find a reason (we’re having soup, we’re having salad, it’s Tuesday…)
When I was a kid we ate at my Nana’s house for dinner at least once a week. She knew me and my bread obsession; every meal was served with rolls or biscuits (bissy-cats, as she called them). Now, as a mom, Jordan has come to expect the same, and I’m always happy to oblige her.
I used to just us a mix or a tube or use store-bought rolls, but once I started blogging I taught myself how to make homemade rolls using yeast. I’ve told you before how I used to be scared of working with yeast, but now that I know how easy it is, I do it all the time.
Making homemade rolls is so easy, you’re going to want to make them all the time just like I do. I’m going to show you how, step by step, using Fleischmann’s® RapidRise Yeast, which takes out a lot of the steps. Once you’ve made these once you’re going to want to make them again and again because they turn out so fluffy and buttery and perfect.
Start with making them the traditional way, and once you discover how easy it is to make homemade rolls with yeast, you’ll want to try all the other shapes.
The knots were my favorite, and I can’t wait to try making them garlic knots!
How do you make easy yeast rolls?
Let’s get started – I’m going to show you every step!
Making homemade rolls with Fleischmann’s® RapidRise Yeast cuts out a lot of time – there’s barely any rising time needed.
There are two kinds of yeast: RapidRise and Active Dry. When you use RapidRise, you mix the yeast in with the dry ingredients. There’s no need to add it to warm water and let it proof, taking out some time.
To make these homemade rolls, you’re going to:
- Mix together your dry ingredients: flour, salt, yeast, and sugar.
- Heat milk with water and butter until it’s about 120°F-130°F, or very warm to the touch.
- Add the milk mixture to some flour and mix until smooth, then add enough flour to make a ball of dough.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes until it’s elastic, let it rest for 10 minutes, then it’s ready to be turned into homemade dinner rolls.
Once you have your dough into a nice elastic ball, you have to decide what kind of soft dinner rolls you want to make:
- Buttery rolls (aka Lion House Rolls)
To start, you divide the dough into 12 equal parts. To make these the traditional way, just roll them into balls and add them to a 9-inch round pan. Let them proof for 30 minutes, then bake.
Hot out of the oven, I like to brush these with more butter to give them a nice buttery taste.
Once you know how easy it is to make homemade bread rolls, you can get creative with the shapes!
Making the shapes is as easy as deciding which shape you want.
- For the buttery rolls: roll the dough into a flat sheet. Slice into squares, brush with butter and roll them up.
- For the twists, roll the dough into a long rope, fold in half and twist.
- For the knots, roll the dough into a long rope, then tie it in a knot.
Making your homemade rolls into fun shapes is an easy way to dress up any dinner table.
The twists are golden brown and soft.
The knots are thick and puffy (they’re my favorite shape!)
And the buttery rolls are extra buttery from the brushing inside the roll. You could also cut the rectangles into triangles and make these into crescents!
Making homemade rolls is EASY and fast – these are done in under an hour. Skip the store and tube, make your own dinner rolls as your next side dish!
Buttery Homemade Rolls
Buttery Homemade Rolls are the perfect dinner roll recipe! These are soft and buttery and perfect made four different ways!
- 2-2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 envelope Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter plus more for brushing
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare pan as directed below.
- Whisk 3/4 cup flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Place milk, water, and butter in a microwave-safe measuring cup. Heat in 15 second increments until the mixture is between 120°F-130°F (very warm water).
- Add milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix for 2 minutes, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl. (I like using a dough hook with my stand mixer for this.)
- Add 1/4 cup flour and mix for another two minutes, then add an additional 1 to 1 1/4 cups more flour, or until the mixture forms a ball in the mixer.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes or until the dough is elastic and springs back when touched. Cover with a towel and rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut and shape dough as desired (see below for instructions), then cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes depending on size and shape, or until golden and cooked through. Brush warm rolls with more melted butter.
For basic dinner rolls:
- Cut ball of dough into 12 pieces. Roll into balls. Place in a greased round 9-inch cake pan.
- Cut ball of dough into 12 pieces. Roll each into a long thin rope. Fold in half. Twist the ends to form a twist. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Cut ball of dough into 12 pieces. Roll each into a long thin rope. Tie each rope into a knot. Place on a greased baking sheet.
For buttery rolled rolls:
- Roll ball of dough into large rectangle. Brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Slice into squares and roll each square up like a croissant. Place on a greased baking sheet.
This recipe is adapted from this Beginner Dinner Roll recipe.
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
My Cheesy Ranch Breadsticks are always a huge hit!