Eggless French Silk Pie
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
This easy French Silk Pie recipe is egg-free! No eggs makes it simple to make. It’s the perfect chocolate pie recipe!
IT’S PI DAY!!! Yep: it’s March 14 (aka 3.14), my favorite day. To celebrate I’m making PIE!
I’ve always loved French Silk Pie. When I was a teenager we’d frequent Baker’s Square in San Bruno (often late at night) and I’d order mashed potatoes with gravy and a slice of French Silk Pie. (And I wonder why I gained 15 pounds my senior year, lol.)
Baker’s Square French Silk Pie was magical: creamy chocolate, whipped cream, and a delicious crust. I was a crust snob even then! I’d eat French Silk Pie everywhere it was available (we also frequented Heidi’s Pies) but none could compare to the one at Baker’s Square.
My only problem with making French Silk Pie from scratch is that it’s made with raw eggs. That always freaks me out; I don’t even like making meringue unless I’m cooking the egg whites over a double boiler. Unless you make French Silk Pie with pasteurized eggs you’re tempting fate (and even then it freaks me out). That’s why, a few years ago, I developed an eggless French Silk recipe.
That’s right: French Silk Pie without raw eggs!
I originally made the French Silk filling to put on top of brownies and stuff in cupcakes, and then I decided I needed to post an actual French Silk Pie. So I am posting my EGGLESS French Silk Pie and hope that you love it – and that the haters don’t get on my case.
(I can hear them now: this isn’t French Silk, DOROTHY. This is chocolate pie. GET IT TOGETHER DOROTHY!)
Whatevs, I’m calling this what it is:
This is my favorite French Silk Pie Recipe made easy with just a few ingredients and made in no time at all!
French Silk Pie starts with a fabulous crust. Now, I encourage you to use my all butter pie crust recipe because it’s the best one you’ll ever eat. However, if you don’t have the time or want to make a pie crust from scratch, it’s ok to start with a refrigerated crust from the grocery store. (Do yourself a favor and buy Pillsbury, okay? The store brand ones are not good, believe me.)
Once you have your crust, you’re going to blind bake it according to my directions. It’s simple and foolproof and it won’t roll up on itself and collapse in your pan.
Then, it’s time for the French Silk Pie filling!
How do you make French Silk Pie without raw eggs?
It’s easy and you just need a few ingredients:
- Cream Cheese
- Semi-sweet baking chocolate
- Vanilla extract
- Cool whip and/or whipped cream
That’s right: just FOUR INGREDIENTS are in this easy French Silk Pie Recipe!
Once you beat together your melted chocolate and cream cheese, you fold in your whipped cream or whipped topping. Then top the pie with more whipped cream and chocolate shavings (or cocoa powder) and you have the perfect EGG-FREE French Silk Pie!
This is perfect for PI DAY or any day that’s a PIE DAY! (Get it, lol. EVERY DAY is Pie Day in my house!!)
Tips for making the best Easy French Silk Pie:
- Make sure your cream cheese is room temperature.
- Use a good quality baking chocolate: I like Baker’s or Ghiradelli. They sell the bars of baking chocolate in the baking aisle near the chocolate chips.
- I like using Cool Whip in my pie (whipped topping is less finicky and holds the pie together better than fresh whipped cream). BUT – I like topping my pie with my perfect whipped cream recipe because it tastes better than whipped topping. See the recipe notes for instructions.
- Chill for about an hour before serving. This freezes well too (if you use Cool Whip for the filling).
Want even more? Subscribe to Crazy for Crust to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @crazyforcrust and using the hashtag #crazyforcrust.
French Silk Pie
- 1 recipe All butter Pie Crust — or from the store
- 8 ounces cream cheese — softened
- 4 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate — plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces Cool Whip — or about 6 cups freshly whipped cream, see note
Blind Bake your pie crust according to my tips. (SEE NOTE)
- Place baking chocolate in a small bowl and microwave according to package directions until melted and smooth. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese with a hand mixer until smooth, then mix in melted chocolate until smooth. Add vanilla and mix until combined, then stir in half of the Cool Whip (8 ounces).
- Place mixture in pie. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours before slicing and serving. Before serving, top with the rest of the whipped topping or whipped cream and chocolate shavings or a dusting of cocoa powder. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1 serving) — Calories: 289, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 32mg, Sodium: 176mg, Potassium: 161mg, Carbohydrates: 26g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 12g, Protein: 4g, Vitamin A: 390%, Calcium: 81%, Iron: 1.2%
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
French Silk Cupcakes have a delicious French silk filling!