Jan 29

How To Dip Candy and Truffles Video Tutorial

Dipping doesn’t have to be hard. With a few easy steps you can learn how to dip candy and truffles…without crying!

How To Dip Candy and Truffles Video Tutorial at crazyforcrust.com | Learn some dipping tricks so you can make candy without tears!

So, I made you all a video. I know, right? #scary #dontjudgeme

I’ve been wanting to do a dipping instruction for awhile. Text explanations can be confusing, photos are great, but videos are better, and after I got some comments on Instagram when I posted my Peanut Butter Covered Oreo Truffles the other day, I figured, why not go for it?

Hopefully, after you watch this video you’ll be able to have more confidence in your dipping skills. Really, it’s all about practice and finding out what works for you. I still end up with truffles that I think are ugly, and sometimes I surprise myself.

Down below the video I have some tips and tricks written out. Please ignore my horrible voice and all the stuff on my counters. It didn’t look like all that stuff showed until I got into editing. And, it would seem that I look to the right when I’m thinking. Enjoy!

How to Dip Truffles and Candy without crying:

The Candy Matters. As I discussed in the video, the three mainstream brands are Almond Bark (Plymouth Pantry), Wilton, and Candiquik. Candiquik is my favorite, but Wilton is great for color, and the Almond Bark is great if you’re on a tight budget.

If you have an electric griddle, use it to keep the candy warm. If you don’t have one, that’s okay. Go shopping.

I’m kidding! No griddle? Use the double boiler method. Heat about 1-2″ of water in a pot and place your candy in a bowl that fits snug on top the pan, but that doesn’t touch the water. Just keep the heat on low once the candy melts, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t seize. Or, you know, use an actual double boiler, if you have one.

If you’re using a griddle, melt your candy in real Tupperware. Glass can get too hot, those disposable plastic containers can be too flimsy. I like good, old-fashioned Tupperware.

And speaking of melting candy, know that it can be fickle. The double boiler method is the best way to be sure it won’t seize (although it still might) but I’m a microwave girl. First, read the package directions. There are usually hints, and every brand has different ones. I usually use HIGH power (I have an 1100w microwave) except for white. For white chocolate (melts or chips) I always use half (50%) power. If your candy is older, or if it’s melted at some point and then re-hardened, it may have trouble melting. In this case you can add Crisco or vegetable oil about a teaspoon at a time (for a full package of candy or chips), stir, and continue heating for short periods of time. It can help the candy melt, but it doesn’t always work. Sometimes new candy is just what’s needed. Also, never, ever get water in the candy bowl. Water will ruin your chocolate. FYI, all these tips also apply for chocolate/white chocolate chips.

Don’t swirl. Drop your candy or truffle in the chocolate and spoon the chocolate over the top. Swirling makes the truffle break.

Use a fork to lift the truffle out of the chocolate. The excess chocolate will drip down through the tines of the fork.

Use the Bakerella Tapping Method: tap your hand not the fork. Don’t tap the fork on the bowl. Tapping your hand is lest impactive on the truffle.

Use a toothpick to help transfer the truffle from the fork to your cookie sheet for minimal “falling truffle syndrome”.

Sprinkles are a truffles best friend. They hide every imperfection. And they’re fun. Use lots of them.

Enjoy eating your hard work. Then practice some more!

Now, pops are another thing entirely. A lot of these tips will work with pops, but I can’t give you any specific tips. My pops end up falling apart 99% of the time. For pop tips, check out the video my friend Karyn made at Pint Sized Baker.

Some truffles and candy you can make now that you know how to dip:

Peanut Butter Covered Oreo Truffles

Peanut Butter Oreo Truffles (1 of 5)w

Mexican Chocolate Truffles

Mexican Chocolate Truffles 1

Maple Walnut Truffles

maple walnut truffles (6 of 7)w

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Dough Truffles

peanut butter oatmeal cookie dough truffles (1 of 5)w

Copycat Butterscotch Squares

Butterscotch Squares (3 of 4)w

Avocado Truffles

Chocolate-Avocado-Truffles (3 of 5)

Thanks for reading watching!

This post may be linked to all of these parties.

88 Responses to “How To Dip Candy and Truffles Video Tutorial”

1. Graham @ Glazed & Confused posted on January 29, 2014 at 7:28 am (#)

More often than not, whenever I make anything that needs to be dipped in chocolate, my kitchen ends up turning into a war zone. Chocolate everywhere!

2. Mom posted on January 29, 2014 at 7:51 am (#)

I’ve always used a glass bowl and sometimes it works…I’ll have to switch to Tupperware. Great vid!
    Oh, and I’ll have one (or six) of each of the truffles pictured at the end!!! YUM!

3. Aubrey @ Real Housemoms posted on January 29, 2014 at 8:43 am (#)

You couldn’t have posted this at a better time! I just had a couple of people asking me how to do this last night.

P.S. Brains made me laugh! :)

4. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on January 29, 2014 at 9:36 am (#)

Oh my gosh you were FANTASTIC Dorothy! Okay, now I expect to see more video tutorials in the future :)

5. Shikha @ Shikha la mode posted on January 29, 2014 at 11:46 am (#)

I love that you made a video – I’m working on one myself and I’m super excited for it! I think with food, visual cues always help!

6. Shannon @ Bake.Frost.Repeat posted on January 29, 2014 at 11:54 am (#)

Awesome job! I’m so glad you did this. I always wondered how yours look so clean and professional and mine looked like a four year old did them! :-) Now you have me wanting to make truffles!

7. Tonia posted on January 29, 2014 at 12:09 pm (#)

I love your video! Thanks for the great tips. I feel like I already “know” you and now that I’ve seen you baking-in-action, the only thing left is to meet you in person!

8. Linda posted on January 29, 2014 at 1:10 pm (#)

That was great. I learned a few new tricks! Thanks, Dorothy. Can’t wait to try dipping something again.

9. Amy @Very Culinary posted on January 29, 2014 at 1:29 pm (#)

This is awesome. Love the griddle tip and tapping method! I’ve been doing it all wrong for so long – no wonder my truffles always look like shit!

10. Jenn@eatcakefordinner posted on January 29, 2014 at 3:25 pm (#)

Love the tips!!

11. Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness posted on January 29, 2014 at 4:30 pm (#)

This is such a great video! I have that same griddle, love it!
    Plus, you are so cute lady! :)

12. Laurie F. posted on January 29, 2014 at 4:34 pm (#)

The video was helpful – like being in a cooking class!

13. sheila @ Sweet Baked Life posted on January 29, 2014 at 4:56 pm (#)

Thanks for the great video — I never knew how to “dip” before, now I’ve got all the tips to dip!!! :)

14. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on January 29, 2014 at 5:05 pm (#)

I LOVE this tutorial! When I dip candy and truffles it usually ends in a huge mess, so I’ll definitely try this way next time.

15. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on January 29, 2014 at 5:37 pm (#)

Loved the video. I so want to try dipping something this weekend.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 30th, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Good luck Laura! You’ll do great!

16. Jackie posted on January 29, 2014 at 5:52 pm (#)

Great tutorial, such a rock star!

17. Laura R. posted on January 29, 2014 at 6:06 pm (#)

I’ve never been a big fan of dipping so I usually pass right by even the yummiest looking candies if they are coated. But now I realize I’ve done it all wrong! Thank you for all the great tips and video.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 30th, 2014 at 3:34 pm

I’m glad to have helped! Thanks Laura!

18. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on January 29, 2014 at 6:32 pm (#)

You. Are. Awesome! I loved the video – you were so natural! I see a tv show in your future :)

19. Jill @ Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons posted on January 29, 2014 at 6:55 pm (#)

Great video Dorothy…love your griddle idea!:)

20. Lindsay Ann @ dollhousebakeshoppe.com posted on January 29, 2014 at 7:23 pm (#)

Such a great video Dorothy!!!! Feel free to check out my new YouTube channel youtube.com/LindsayAnnBakes and let me know what you think!! :) I subscribed to your channel and can’t wait for more videos!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 30th, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Ha, I’m not sure if there will be any more! #idontlikevideo

21. Heather @ French Press posted on January 29, 2014 at 7:45 pm (#)

what a great video Dorothy!

22. Amy posted on January 29, 2014 at 8:43 pm (#)

BRILLIANT Dorothy!! Seriously. The griddle + towels?? So smart! I don’t have a griddle, but I do have a panini press. Would that work? And I hadn’t heard of the Bakerella tapping method, but that’s genius too. I’m already a huge klutz, so I need all the tips I can get!

P.S. Your voice is NOT horrible at all! And your counters look homey and lived in. Sometimes it bothers me when test kitchen videos have nothing on the countertops; nobody’s regular kitchen ever looks like that, especially a food blogger’s! ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 30th, 2014 at 3:33 pm

A panini press would work! So would a waffle iron. Thanks so much Amy!

• Amy replied on January 30th, 2014 at 3:57 pm

YAY I actually have both! Thanks so much Dorothy! :)

23. Shiloh Barkley posted on January 29, 2014 at 8:57 pm (#)

I loved your video! Lots of great tips, and you know I’ve always bought the almond bark because my mom always bought it. I never gave it much thought that the other two may taste better. I did use the Wilton brand for my first cake pops I made about three years ago for their color. Thanks for being so brave!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 30th, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Thanks so much Shiloh!!

24. MImi @ Culinary Couture posted on January 29, 2014 at 9:13 pm (#)

Loved the video Dorothy :) I loathe dipping candy but I definitely feel more confident now after seeing this.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 30th, 2014 at 3:24 pm

I’m glad! Thanks Mimi!

25. Sue {munchkin munchies} posted on January 29, 2014 at 9:23 pm (#)

Thanks for the informative video, Dorothy! It was great to see you in action:) I used my electric fondue pot the last time I dipped truffles and it worked pretty well. I am going to pick up some Candiquik tomorrow. Thanks for all the tips!

26. Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes posted on January 29, 2014 at 10:37 pm (#)

I’m so glad you did this!! Thank you so much!! I will be referencing this video many times in my future :)

27. Katherines Corner posted on January 30, 2014 at 5:00 am (#)

Well that is just a wonderful and oh so yummy tutorial. Thank you for sharing I hope you will add this to my hop today . Hugs!!

28. Mandy@Mandy's Recipe Box posted on January 30, 2014 at 7:05 am (#)

Great tutorial, Dorothy! I have never tried making truffles…they scare me, but this looks pretty easy! Thanks for the info :)

29. Shawn @ I Wash You Dry posted on January 30, 2014 at 7:09 am (#)

Loved that Dorothy! Brilliant idea with the griddle, I am totally going to try that next time! :) You were great on video by the way!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 30th, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Thanks Shawn! I was so nervous!

30. Ashton posted on January 30, 2014 at 7:23 am (#)

You did such a good job!! I love it!

31. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on January 30, 2014 at 7:26 am (#)

You are awesome!!! Love all the fun tips and techniques…it is always fun to see what everyone else does differently! And the griddle idea…so genius!!!

32. Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar posted on January 30, 2014 at 8:07 am (#)

I love your video Dorothy! I have never thought of using a griddle before to keep the chocolate warm – GREAT idea!

33. Anna @ Garnish with Lemon posted on January 30, 2014 at 8:46 am (#)

That griddle tip is life-changing, Dorothy. Thanks for sharing your hard-earned knowledge!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 30th, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I know, it totally is! Thanks Anna!

34. Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake posted on January 30, 2014 at 9:09 am (#)

Great video! Such great tips! I had not heard of the hand tapping method or getting it off with a toothpick. Definitely trying these! Thanks for sharing!

35. Jaren (Diary of a Recipe Collector) posted on January 30, 2014 at 10:10 am (#)

Awesome tips!!! Thanks for the video! It really helps.

36. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat posted on January 30, 2014 at 4:28 pm (#)

This is such a fantastic tutorial! I’ve always wondered what the best and right way to dip truffles was. I love the method of tapping your hand to get the excess chocolate off. Thanks so much for doing this as it will definitely make life easier!

37. Nancy @ gottagetbaked posted on January 30, 2014 at 11:16 pm (#)

Dorothy, the video is so awesome! I hope you plan on making more of these. I love getting to see you in action and hearing your voice (it’s not horrible at all! If anyone has a horrible speaking voice, it’s me. I hate hearing my own voice being played back). This couldn’t have come at a better time. I’m planning on making truffles and each time I’d made them in the past, my chocolate coating is super hideous. Thanks for all the amazing tips!

38. Nat D. posted on February 1, 2014 at 5:22 pm (#)

Oh my gosh, you are so cute! Plus, I totally needed this. I’ve sworn of “dipping” of any kind because I’m terrible at it. I just tell people I’m a baker, not a candy maker. But you make it look so easy. If I ever get over my fear of failure, I’ll definitely be referencing this video again.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 2nd, 2014 at 7:19 am

It’s really annoying to dip, but I find as I do it more it gets easier and faster! Thanks for watching!

39. Kim @ The Cookie Puzzle posted on February 1, 2014 at 8:08 pm (#)

Thank you so much for the wonderful video. I keep my chocolate warm in a mini crock pot set on warm, never would have thought to use a griddle…love that. I have seen Candiquick before, but never tried it, since you recommended it so highly, I will just have to try some for sure! Don’t you just love sprinkles? Non bakers think we use them to make stuff pretty, little do they know that we REALLY use them to hide imperfections!

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 2nd, 2014 at 7:14 am

Exactly!! :) Thanks for watching Kim!

40. CakePants posted on February 2, 2014 at 6:29 pm (#)

Thanks so much for this tutorial (and just in time to practice making candy for Valentine’s Day!)! My last attempt at dipping candy ended with a disaster so ugly all I could do was laugh…that was two and a half years ago, and I’ve been afraid to make candy ever since! I’m definitely going to try again with all of your tips :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 3rd, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I hope it helps! It gets easier (and prettier) with practice. :)

41. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on February 3, 2014 at 9:00 am (#)

You are the cutest! So fun to see you on video. I had no idea of the Bakerella tapping method. I’ll have to try that sometime.

42. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on February 4, 2014 at 6:26 am (#)

Dorothy! You are so cute. This is exactly how I pictured your voice! My cookbook publisher wants me to put a tutorial video on my blog and it it makes me so nervous! I don’t even know where to start with it. But regarding the subject – truffle dipping. So helpful! Never knew that Bakerella hand tapping trick (vs tapping onto the tupperware directly). Incredible Dorothy, thanks for putting in the time to make this!! You make me feel better about creating a video myself.

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 5th, 2014 at 6:47 am

I hated it. I hate my voice and being on camera. But I think it actually turned out good. You’d be great on video! Just talk about something you know a lot about and it’ll be natural!

43. Sarah Grace posted on February 4, 2014 at 2:29 pm (#)

Love these tips! Haha mine always seem to undergo a falling off fork onto paper syndrome :) Sprinkles surely are a truffles best friend :)

xoxo Sarah Grace, Fresh Fit N Healthy.

44. Pingback: Over 100 Truffle Recipes - Crazy for Crust

45. Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary posted on February 18, 2014 at 9:13 am (#)

I have a question. I always get those “puddles” on the bottom of the truffle after I put them on the baking sheet to firm up.
    Will this method eliminate that? Thanks! Lisa

• Dorothy Kern replied on February 18th, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I get them sometimes too, but the key to limiting how much (or get rid of them all together) is twofold. 1) make sure your candy isn’t too hot. It’ll be too drippy if it’s really melty. (This is one reason I really like the melts for dipping, because it’s a little thicker.) 2. Make sure to tap off the excess, scrape the fork on the side of the bowl, and tap again. And again. The more that drips off your fork, the less will puddle on the cookie sheet!

46. CakePants posted on February 21, 2014 at 6:50 pm (#)

I commented before, but wanted to let you know that I tried making truffles today after watching your tutorial, and it made a WORLD of difference!! I’ll be linking to your post when I share my truffle recipe :)

47. Pingback: Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles | Put On Your Cake Pants

48. Pingback: Skinny Carrot Cake Truffles {GF} - Food Faith Fitness

49. Pingback: Coconut Cream Truffles - Crazy for Crust

50. Sherlie Magaret posted on March 23, 2014 at 4:53 pm (#)

Invest in the Wilton chocolate melting pot. It is the easiest way to do it with little mess and easy melting with temperature control. We got out pot at Michaels with a half price coupon.

51. Shannon posted on March 24, 2014 at 5:22 pm (#)

Love the video! A lot of great tips. I use a crock pot to keep my chocolate warm. I use either the warm or low setting depending on the crock pot I use. I use the smallest crockpot so it is deeper and easier to dip. If you use one with a removable crock cleanup is much easier too,

52. Pingback: Easter Marshmallow Oreo Truffles - Will Cook For Smiles

53. Pingback: Coconut Peppermint Patties | Culture Jaunt

54. Marti posted on May 3, 2014 at 4:35 pm (#)

This is VERY helpful! I’ve been doing everything wrong!! I can’t wait to try all these great tips, then finally mine might look pretty!! lol

55. Pingback: S'more Oreo Truffles {teacher appreciation printables} - Crazy for Crust

56. Pingback: Skinny Carrot Cake Truffles - DietSmarter.com

57. Lauren posted on June 28, 2014 at 3:30 am (#)

THANK YOU Dorothy!!! I will definitely try this next time !!

58. Kisha posted on October 7, 2014 at 4:54 pm (#)

Welp, now I need an electric griddle! LOL
    Thanks for the tutorial – this really helps. I hate making ugly truffles :)

59. Pingback: Oreo Acorn Balls | The First Year