This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries: The classic lover’s duo! Decorated strawberries are my favorite way of celebrating Valentine’s day. It’s an easy, delicious traditional treat, and with this recipe you can customize it for a unique way to celebrate every time!
No need to spend the extra bucks on prepackaged chocolate covered strawberries this Valentine’s day when you have this recipe.
Table of Contents
Learn How to make chocolate covered strawberries!
To get the ultimate homemade chocolate covered strawberries you’ll need to know a few tips and tricks. In this chocolate dipped strawberry recipe, you’ll learn:
- How to prep the strawberries, so they look beautiful once dipped.
- Which is the best chocolate to use for dipping
- How to decorate chocolate covered strawberries with some of my favorite topping ideas
- How to store chocolate covered strawberries
- How to not eat them all. Just kidding, I can’t help you with that!
Why you’ll love this recipe
I’ve made these so many times for us (they are great for date night!) for parties, anniversaries, and Valentine’s day, and I’m sharing all of my tips so you can make them, too. And you can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate or white chocolate!
Ingredients needed for dipped strawberries
I love how simple the ingredients are for this chocolate covered strawberry recipe. I mean, all you really need is chocolate and strawberries. But since ’m showing you how to make the best chocolate covered strawberries, we’ll add in a little something extra for your loved ones.
- Strawberries: only use the best kind- red with no spots
- Semi-sweet chocolate: I find it easier to use baking bars or melts
- White chocolate: you can use milk chocolate if you prefer but I love the pop of color the white chocolate gives
- Coconut or chopped nuts (optional): for toppings. You can also use mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, or extra chocolate for drizzling. The toppings are optional, but they add texture and flavor plus they’re a little extra fancy to make the strawberries unique!
How to melt chocolate for strawberries
I prefer melting chocolate in the microwave. Here are some tips:
- Use 50% power when melting candy melts or baking bars.
- Melt your chocolate in paper bowls for easy cleanup.
- Stir every 30 seconds to avoid scorching the chocolate.
How to make chocolate covered strawberries
- Prepare: line a baking dish with parchment paper
- Dip: hold a strawberry by its stem and dip it in the chocolate. Add the topping while the chocolate is still wet, so the topping adheres.
- Decorate (optional): drizzle or add toppings
- Refrigerate: place the baking dish in the refrigerator until the chocolate sets
- Then you’re done! Fancy looking white chocolate covered strawberries made for you and your loved ones!
How do you get chocolate to stick to strawberries?
Make sure your strawberries are fully dry, free of water and at room temp. This way the moisture won’t keep the chocolate from sticking.
Should you soak strawberries before dipping in chocolate?
Holding the strawberry by the stem, dip and gently rotate the strawberry in the chocolate to coat all around.
Be sure to dry your strawberries really well before dipping
For the best chocolate covered strawberries, you need to dry them completely. Use a clean cloth to pat the strawberries dry.
Place them in an airtight container, and they will keep for up to two days in the refrigerator.
Using any leftover melted chocolate, dip a spoon then raise it over the desired strawberry and in a zigzag motion, drizzle quickly as the melted chocolate falls.
If you notice that they are softening or start to sweat, you should chill them again.
No. It is best if the strawberries are room temperature when dipping them in chocolate.
Store your chocolate dipped strawberries in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Have You Made This Recipe?
Leave a rating by clicking the stars below!
Chocolate Covered Strawberries Recipe
- 1 pound strawberries
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (baking bars or melts)
- 8 ounces white chocolate (baking bars or melts)
- Coconut or chopped nuts for topping optional
- Wash the strawberries and dry in a kitchen towel until completely dry.
- Melt the milk chocolate and white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowls on 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring between each, for about a 2-3 minutes until completely melted.
- Prepare a baking dish with parchment paper lining.
- Hold the strawberries with its twig and dip them into the melted chocolate.
- Decorate with coconut or nuts and chocolate, or drizzle white chocolate on dark chocolate or vice versa. You can also top with sprinkles or mini chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate until the chocolate is set.
Don’t miss these other Valentine’s Day Recipes
- Valentine’s Day Cookies
- Valentine’s Day Fudge
- Spicy Chocolate Truffles
- Oreo Balls
- Oreo Truffle Strawberries
Make your own chocolate covered strawberries at home! Learn how to make dipped strawberries with white or dark chocolate and different kinds of toppings. These are perfect for date night!
Last Updated on January 19, 2023