Learn how to make Chocolate Covered Strawberries dipped in different kinds of chocolate and customized with various toppings. Chocolate dipped strawberries are so fun to make and great for date night, Valentine’s day, wedding anniversaries, or anytime you want to treat yourself!
Chocolate dipped strawberries are classic for a reason – they look so fancy and special, the combination of fresh fruit with chocolate is fantastic, and they are perfect for special occasions. Making them yourself is easy, and you can customize them, so they are unique – they are the perfect way to celebrate.
They are easy to make in about 15 minutes, and then they just need to set before you serve them!
Table of Contents
- The Best Chocolate Covered Strawberry Recipe
- Use the Prettiest Strawberries
- The Best Chocolate to Use
- Different Toppings and Decoration Ideas
- How to Make Chocolate Coated Strawberries
- How to Store Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- How long do chocolate covered strawberries last?
- Other Dipped Chocolate Recipes You’ll Love
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries Recipe
The Best Chocolate Covered Strawberry Recipe
I’ve made these so many times for us (they are great for date night!) for parties, anniversaries, and Valentine’s day, and I’m sharing all of my tips so you can make them, too.
- How to prep the strawberries, so they look beautiful once dipped.
- The best chocolate to use for dipping.
- How to decorate chocolate covered strawberries with some of my favorite topping ideas.
- How to store chocolate covered strawberries.
- How to not eat them all! Just kidding, I can’t help you with that!
Seriously, the only difficult thing about this recipe is not eating all of the dipped strawberries in one sitting. When I make them for gifts, I have to hide them in the fridge, so I’m not tempted!
Use the Prettiest Strawberries
First things first, the strawberries! Using the best ones is critical for making the best chocolate covered strawberries.
They should be fresh with a pretty red color and no soft spots. Those spots mean they’ve been smooshed or have aged and won’t hold up well after they’ve been dipped.
Pick ones with pretty stems and twigs. You won’t remove the stem, so it’s part of the presentation. Use ones with intact green stems that will make it easy to dip the strawberry and look nice once they’re done.
Wash and dry the strawberries before you dip them. And by dry, I mean really dry them well. Moisture is the enemy here and won’t allow the chocolate to adhere to the strawberry. So, use a clean towel to pat them completely dry.
You can dip various sizes, so don’t worry too much about using strawberries that are all the same size. It looks nice if they are, but it’s not that important.
The Best Chocolate to Use
Melted chocolate can be a fussy thing, so I always use baking bars or chocolate melts to make these strawberries.
They are easy to melt and have the right consistency for dipping, and fully set once cooled. Avoid using melted chocolate chips for this recipe – they are more challenging to work with.
Different Toppings and Decoration Ideas
Once you’ve dipped the strawberries, you can add some toppings. Here are some ideas:
- Finely chopped nuts
- Coconut flakes
- Mini chocolate chips
- Extra chocolate for drizzling
The toppings are optional, but they add texture and flavor plus a little extra fancy to make the strawberries unique.
How to Make Chocolate Coated Strawberries
Once you have your beautiful strawberries, melted chocolate, and toppings, it’s time to dip!1. Line a baking dish with parchment paper. This is will you place the dipped strawberries so the chocolate can set.
2. Hold a strawberry by its stem and dip it in the chocolate. Add the topping while the chocolate is still wet, so the topping adheres.
3. If you want to do a chocolate drizzle (either white or regular), place the strawberry on the parchment and drizzle chocolate over the top.
4. Once you’ve dipped and decorated them all, place the baking dish in the refrigerator until the chocolate sets.
How to Store Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Once you’ve made your pretty dipped strawberries, you’ll want to store them properly, so they’re perfect when you serve them.
Once they’ve set, I like to place them in cupcake liners. This keeps them separate, so the topping and decoration don’t get messed up. Then I store them in an airtight container.
How long do chocolate covered strawberries last?
Place them in an airtight container, and they will keep for up two days in the refrigerator.
If I make these for a party, I wait to take them out of the fridge until I’m ready to serve them. Technically, they will keep up to a day at room temperature, but if you notice that they are softening or start to sweat, you should chill them again. I love chocolate dipped strawberries because they look so fancy and complicated, but they’re so easy to make! Make them just for you, give them as a gift to friends or family, make them for date night, or celebrate an anniversary along with a glass of bubbly! Enjoy!
Other Dipped Chocolate Recipes You’ll Love
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Fondue
- Bakery Style Coconut Macaroons
- Reese’s Dipped Pretzels (Disneyland Copycat)
- Chocolate Dipped Snowball Cookies
Chocolate Covered Strawberries Recipe
- 1 lb. strawberries
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking bars or melts
- 8 ounces white chocolate baking bars or melts
- Coconut or chopped nuts for topping optional
- Wash the strawberries and dry in a kitchen towel until completely dry.
- Melt the milk chocolate and white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowls on 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring between each, for about a 2-3 minutes until completely melted.
- Prepare a baking dish with parchment paper lining.
- Hold the strawberries with its twig and dip them into the melted chocolate.
- Decorate with coconut or nuts and chocolate, or drizzle white chocolate on dark chocolate or vice versa. You can also top with sprinkles or mini chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate until the chocolate is set.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
These Chocolate Covered Strawberries are so fun to make for date night, Valentine’s Day, anniversaries or anytime you want to treat yourself or someone you love.
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: February 4, 2021