Sep 15

Pumpkin Magic Bars

These Pumpkin Magic Bars are the perfect combination of flavors, from the gingersnap crust to the white chocolate to the pumpkin topping!

Pumpkin Magic Bars | A Fall twist on a magic bar! | crazyforcrust.com | #pumpkin

Whenever I go shopping for clothes, I tend to stick to things I know. If I find something that works, I stick with it. For example:

I like wearing black shirts. So I own 7.

I found a drop waist shirt I liked at Old Navy a few weeks ago. So I bought one of each color.

Workout clothes? Same shirt…different color…every day.

Every once in awhile I like to add in a pop of something – maybe a new fabric. Or a print. But, for the most part, I’m happy in my wear-every-day clothing.

Turns out, I do the same thing on this blog.

I posted gooey bars. You liked gooey bars. So I made more.

I posted cheesecake. You liked cheesecake. So I made more.

I’ve posted lots and lots of magic bars. You like magic bars; they’re consistently in my top search items that get you here. So…I made you more magic bars.

In pumpkin….another thing I do over and over…because you like it. :)

You know what magic bars are, right? They’re also known as 7-layer bars. But I call them magic bars for two reasons:

1. They don’t always have 7 layers.

2. The sweetened condensed milk is like one of the guys on America’s Got Talent: it performs magic.

I can’t even list all the magic bar versions I have made. Too many to count. And now I can add one of my most favorites: Pumpkin!

Okay, ready to talk layers? Let’s list them, mmkay?

1. Gingersnap Crust. OMG gingersnap pairs so well with pumpkin it will blow your mind.

2. White chocolate chips. Because…well. Duh, you gotta have chips in magic bars.

3. Pecans (or any nuts, really). Gotta have ‘em! Especially in a Fall dessert.

4. Coconut. This is totally optional but, well. It’s a magic bar staple.

5. Toffee bits. You can never get enough, and really. See #3.

6. Pumpkin. I mean…it’s called a pumpkin magic bar after all.

7. Sweetened condensed milk. That can be considered a layer, right? It’s mixed with the pumpkin and poured over the top. Don’t forget the pumpkin pie spice. That makes these even better.

Seven layers of magic bar. In pumpkin!

Sometimes it’s okay to just go do the same thing in a different way.

And as long as you keep coming for magic bars…I’ll keep making new versions!

{Pssst…same with cheesecake and gooey bars. I cannot get enough!}

Pumpkin Magic Bars

Yield: 12 bars

Ingredients:

• 25 Gingersnaps
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 5 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/4 cup coconut
  • 1/4 cup toffee bits
  • 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x9” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Grind gingersnaps to a fine crumb in a food processor. Mix with sugar and melted butter. Press into prepared pan.
  3. Sprinkle white chocolate chips, pecans, coconut, and toffee over the top of the crust.
  4. Whisk pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, and pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl or measuring cup and pour over the top of the bars.
  5. Bake for 29-31 minutes, until the edges have started to brown. Cool completely before cutting.

Cookies ‘n Cream Magic Bars

cookies n' cream magic bars

Pumpkin Chocolate Cupcakes

Chocolate #Pumpkin #Cupcakes, perfect for #Halloween!

Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Bars by Lemons for Lulu
Fudgy Brownies with Pumpkin Cookies by Pint Sized Baker
Pumpkin Caramel Kiss Cookies by Something Swanky

81 Responses to “Pumpkin Magic Bars”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on September 15, 2013 at 3:08 am (#)

Best ever pumpkin magic bars or magic bar rendition that I’ve seen with pumpkin! Those white choc chips are just heavenly and the stacked bars, with those white chips peeking out, so eye-catching. Beautiful images, Dorothy! Pinned. I loveeee Magic Bars and know I’d love these!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Aw thanks Averie! Thanks for the pin!!

• Elaine Brockhaus replied on September 28th, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Would Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips Work? I just happen to have some (They are hard to find)

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 28th, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Yes! Those would be awesome! Enjoy!

2. Lisa @ Wine & Glue posted on September 15, 2013 at 3:34 am (#)

Dorothy! These look amazing!! I’m definitely making them them for my next get together this fall! And I totally hear you on the clothes thing! I cleaned out my closet recently, and there were approximately 74 of the same shirt all in different colors. Don’t even get me started on jeans. Pinning this!

3. Susan posted on September 15, 2013 at 5:31 am (#)

Now, these are a winner and I know my grandson will think so too!

4. Tieghan posted on September 15, 2013 at 5:34 am (#)

Love these, Dorothy! Lately I have really been loving using sweetened condensed milk and well, obviously pumpkin! These look so gooey and delicious!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I can’t wait to see all your recipes Tieghan!! :)

5. Erin | The Emerging Foodie posted on September 15, 2013 at 8:38 am (#)

Oh my goodness, Dorothy, you’re killing me! These look incredible. Again! :)

7. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent posted on September 15, 2013 at 11:15 am (#)

I am the same way with clothes… its comforting, but sometimes I wish I would get out of my box more :) These bars look amazing. Post lots and lots of magic bars!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Ditto! I just spent 4 hours trying to do that and came up with nothing. Gah. I hate clothes shopping!

8. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on September 15, 2013 at 11:55 am (#)

Oh, I get stuck on same things too. Especially in breakfast foods. I read this title, and immediately was like, oh its like her gooey bars. Magic bars, Mary Frances, not gooey bars. Magic bars, the ones with all these amazing layers! Wow, you just made the magic bar 10 times better! Everyone keeps posting all these pumpkin recipes that I’m dying to try and then my can of pumpkin looks at me and is like, I can’t stretch myself THAT much. :) I just need to go buy 20 cans. And I will start with these. Love this recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I’ve gone through at least 4 cans so far, ha!! :)

9. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com posted on September 15, 2013 at 2:11 pm (#)

Yum! These pumpkin bars are really magic! Because whenever white chocolate is combined with toffee bits, pecans, condensed milk and pumpkin – it all become magic! :) Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Thanks so much for the pin Julia!

10. Stephanie @ Back For Seconds posted on September 15, 2013 at 3:08 pm (#)

Love the crust on these! Totally pinning, Yum!

11. Martha @ A Family Feast posted on September 15, 2013 at 3:19 pm (#)

WOW – these look delicious Dorothy! Pinned! (And I shop the same way…if I find something I like – I buy it in at least 2-3 colors! )

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 15th, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Thanks for the pin Martha!

12. Mom posted on September 15, 2013 at 4:21 pm (#)

YUM!!!!!!!!!

13. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on September 15, 2013 at 7:19 pm (#)

Um, I don’t see a thing wrong with owning 7 black shirts. I have at least that many; black goes with everything, plus – it’s slimming. Which I’ll definitely need after eating the entire pan of these magic bars.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 16th, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Slimming – that’s why I always wear black!! Colors show lumps, lol!

14. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on September 15, 2013 at 7:23 pm (#)

Ahhh this totally happens to me with recipes and clothes! I don’t want to be in the box but I so am sometimes! These look like a good box to be in though :)

15. Joanna @ the knitlit twit posted on September 15, 2013 at 8:20 pm (#)

Gingersnap crust = genius. Another pumpkin recipe to squeeze in this fall!

16. Amy posted on September 15, 2013 at 8:22 pm (#)

I swear, one of these days I’ll have to try baking my own magic bars. (I have yet to even taste one!) Especially if it involves white chocolate. And toffee. And such an easy prep.

P.S. I’m totally the same way too — I own 14 different colors of the same tank top from Target!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 16th, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Oh you must!! So many different flavor variations!! Thanks Amy!

17. Brenda @ SweetSimpleStuff posted on September 15, 2013 at 9:08 pm (#)

My theory with clothes is … if it works, just go with it … same shirt, 4 colors :) Love the bars, especially the gingersnap crust!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 16th, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Glad I’m not alone in that!! Thanks Brenda!

18. ATasteOfMadness posted on September 15, 2013 at 9:48 pm (#)

I love the fall. Mainly because pumpkin recipes are starting to show up. These look like some truly magical bars ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 16th, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Thanks so much! That’s why I love Fall too – amazing food!

19. Sevimin Askanasi posted on September 16, 2013 at 4:21 am (#)

looks amazingly delicious and beautiful photos
    I invite to my site, pls you get to watch and +1

20. tanya posted on September 16, 2013 at 6:15 am (#)

I always wondered about the whole 7 layer thing? These are magic indeed Dorothy! I’d take these over pumpkin pie any day! I love the crust!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 16th, 2013 at 8:19 pm

ME TOO. Thanks Tanya!

21. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on September 16, 2013 at 8:06 am (#)

This is such a great idea using gingersnaps in the crust!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 16th, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Thanks Nancy! I love that combo of flavors!

22. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on September 16, 2013 at 2:24 pm (#)

Hands down the best pumpkin recipe I’ve seen so far this season. And I’ve seen a ton, Dorothy! I have to try these. I love layered bars. They’re so easy! Loving the gingersnap crust.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 16th, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Wow, coming from you that’s a huge compliment Sally! Thank you!! I am so in love with the magic bar – endless possibilities! :)

23. vanillasugarblog posted on September 16, 2013 at 2:38 pm (#)

Just like my 7-layer magic bars with pumpkin.
    Oh so good. I might try adding in the gingersnap

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 16th, 2013 at 8:17 pm

The gingersnap makes them! What is the link to your bars? I couldn’t find them!

24. Jamie @lifelovelemons posted on September 16, 2013 at 3:09 pm (#)

Oh my gosh, I love these layers!! Definitely going to be making these. Pinning!

25. Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper posted on September 16, 2013 at 9:59 pm (#)

These sound heavenly! I love the addition of pumpkin!

26. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on September 17, 2013 at 5:54 am (#)

The more magic bars the better, I always say! :) These sound amazing!!

27. Tina @ Sugar Bean Bakers posted on September 17, 2013 at 1:38 pm (#)

These look deeeeeelish, Dorothy!

28. Dina posted on September 17, 2013 at 3:42 pm (#)

they look yummy!

29. Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake posted on September 18, 2013 at 8:46 am (#)

Yes please!! These look incredible and absolutely perfect for fall!

30. Dana posted on September 18, 2013 at 10:53 am (#)

These look fantastic! I’ve been on a huge pumpkin kick recently. These will have to be tried and made. And devoured.

31. Emily @ Life on Food posted on September 18, 2013 at 11:26 am (#)

Why mess with a good thing is definitely my motto. i have some many clothing duplicates. These magic bars look divine. Keep more coming!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 18th, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Thanks so much Emily!

32. Nancy @ gottagetbaked posted on September 21, 2013 at 7:09 pm (#)

I just pinned this to my pumpkin pinterest board and it’s on the top of my to-bake list, Dorothy. Magic bars, indeed! They’re crammed so full of deliciously glorious ingredients, I’m drooling over here.

33. Jocelyn @ BruCrew Life posted on September 21, 2013 at 8:53 pm (#)

I am IN LOVE with these!!! ‘Nough said!! :)

34. Kathy posted on September 24, 2013 at 3:12 pm (#)

OMGoodness! I just added 5lbs by looking at all these wonderful goodies and printing ones I want to try…..12 pages later I’m still looking <3 Thank you!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 24th, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Ha! Thanks for all the pins!!!

35. Pingback: Fall Inspired Treat Recipes | The Mama Report

36. Sandy_of_WV posted on September 27, 2013 at 11:55 pm (#)

:) ▬ Wondering what you could replace the “gingersnaps” with?

Nilla Wafers – Graham Crackers – Shortbreads – any suggestion?

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 28th, 2013 at 10:06 am

Graham crackers would be the best one to use! I also love the combination of Biscoff Cookies and pumpkin. (You can find the cookies at Walmart and some grocery stores, they’re the ones you get on Delta flights!)

• Sandy_of_WV replied on September 29th, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Thanks – thought grahams would do – never had Biscoff cookies, might have to try – never been on a plane! :)

37. Elaine posted on October 5, 2013 at 10:44 am (#)

These look great! any ideas for a substitute for pecans? nut allergies in the family, thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 5th, 2013 at 4:25 pm

You can leave out the nuts, and use more toffee, or white chocolate, or just skip it totally! It won’t make much of a difference, except for the crunch. :)

38. Pingback: 25 Best Pumpkin Recipes

39. Pingback: The Emotional Baker | Pumpkin Scones

40. Pingback: Pumpkin Magic Bars | Gaining Mommymentum

41. Pingback: Cookie Butter Magic Bars | wine & glue

42. Stephanie Dozier posted on October 30, 2013 at 1:50 pm (#)

I just wanted to thank you for the wonderful Pumpkin Magic Bars recipe. They are even better than regular magic bars and so magical to boot. Of course I made a few changes but fundamentally I used your recipe and then tweaked it a bit. I added some additional nuts, coconut, white chocolate chips & butter scotch chips to the top of the pumpkin mixture to give it some added texture. They were so delicious and gorgeous and my whole family loved them!! I have already made another batch for our church group tonight. Thanks for the great recipe! Keep ‘em coming!

43. Brooke posted on November 5, 2013 at 2:29 pm (#)

Hi Dorothy! I found this recipe through Pinterest and made these today. I’m wondering if the pumpkin purée to sweetened condensed milk ration is correct because it seemed pretty thin to me and barely covered the top of the bars. In your picture the bars seem to have a thicker layer of pumpkin…maybe the measurements should be switched around, I don’t know. Bu they smell great and I’m sure they’ll still taste good. (I just get a little nervous that I did something wrong if it doesn’t turn out like photo!) I think I’ll use the leftover ingredients to try your pumpkin toffee gooey bars!

Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on November 5th, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Hi Brooke! The ratio is correct, I think that different brands of SCM act differently than others. Mine was a thinner layer before they baked and then it settled a bit. I tend to use generic Walmart SCM, and I’ve found it’s thicker than the name brand. It acts the same, but looks different. That might be the reason for the different look! Oh, and the gooey bars. Those are my FAVORITE. I think I ate most of the pan myself!

• Brooke replied on November 6th, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for the quick response! I think the bars turned out perfect and everyone really liked them. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

44. Pingback: Pumpkin seven-layer bars

45. Pingback: Pumpkin Magic Bars | Food- Mafia

46. Deb posted on October 10, 2014 at 11:09 am (#)

Found your recipe via Pinterest!  I was looking for something easy for a “party” I had recently. Since then I’ve made them two more times. Once for a bake sale and again today to take to dinner for Thanksgiving. They are a hit! Love the combination of flavours.   The hardest part was finding ginger snaps. I bought Dare Simple Pleasures Spice Snaps and they were perfect!  Thank you!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 10th, 2014 at 11:34 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed them Deb!! Thank you! (And graham crackers will work in a pinch!)

47. Katie posted on October 12, 2014 at 6:32 pm (#)

What can I use as a substitute for the gingersnaps? I am allergic to ginger but want a good crust for the bottom still!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 12th, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Graham crackers (or biscoff cookies, if you can find them) would work great!

48. Sue posted on October 15, 2014 at 6:19 pm (#)

Perfection. That’s how my husband described these.  My co-workers said I outdid myself this time, with numerous recipe requests, and a plea to use up my leftover ingredients in another batch in November:)  I was totally surprised how the blend of ingredients were SO well balanced and complimentary.  The only change I made was mix everything above the crust together so it would have that condensed milk/pumpkin goodness throughout.

Thank you so much for this recipe!  MUCH appreciated!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 16th, 2014 at 6:54 am

I’m so so so glad you enjoyed them Sue!! :)