This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
These Cake Mix Cookie Bars are the best funfetti gooey bars you will ever make! They are made with cake mix and then add white chocolate chips and sprinkles – you can’t go wrong. This is my first ever viral recipe – can you see why?
Table of Contents
Funfetti Gooey Bars
These gooey bars are one of my favorite sweet treats, especially these funfetti ones: I can never get enough sprinkles! I made mine with cake mix because it makes the recipe easier and the sweetened condensed milk puts the ‘gooey’ into gooey bar!
This is the first recipe of mine that went truly viral on all social media – and the blog. Can yo see why? There is nothing bad about this recipe – the batter has the taste of cake – with colorful sprinkles. This is one of my favorite easy dessert recipes in the entire world!
- Yellow Cake Mix: You can use any brand – but make sure it’s approximately 15 ounces. (I’ve also made this recipe with red velvet cake mix!)
- Butter: I always use unsalted butter – make sure it’s room temperature (softened)
- Sprinkles: Can’t have funfetti without the sprinkles! I use rainbow jimmies – be sure to use a high quality brand so they don’t melt in your batter. You can use any colors.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: Regular or nonfat can be used.
- White Chocolate Chips: These can be omitted, or you can use chocolate to make chocolate chip cookie bars!
How to make Cake Mix Gooey Bars
- Add cake mix, butter, and egg to a large bowl. Mix with a hand mixer (you can also use a stand mixer). It will take awhile to mix the dough together (longer with a hand mixer) but it will turn into a thick cookie dough.
- Press about half to two-thirds of the dough into the bottom of your baking dish with your rubber spatula or hands. Pour sweetened condensed milk over the top of the dough, leaving a thin border around the edges. Sprinkle with white chocolate chips.
- Separate remaining dough into small balls and evenly space over the top of the bars. Press down to flatten. Try to seal the edges as much as possible.
- Bake bars for about 25-30 minutes, or until they just begin to get golden brown around the edges. Cool completely before slicing, otherwise the mixture will be too gooey to cut.
- Recipes that use cake mix are so fun because you can make other recipes with different flavors of cake mix! I love making gooey bars with chocolate cake mix, white cake mix, even lemon cake mix or strawberry cake mix!
- I do not recommend using nonpareils because they often dissolve during baking.
- Bake these in a pan lined with foil or parchment paper for easy removal. They’re super gooey!
- Be sure to allow them to cool completely before slicing.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap. If you are going to put them in the freezer, slice them before freezing so they are easy to grab and defrost when the craving hits.
Yes you can! Freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Funfetti Gooey Bars Recipe
- 1 box (approx 15 ounces) yellow cake mix
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- ⅔ cup sprinkles
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (170g) white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9” pan with foil and spray liberally with cooking spray.
- Add cake mix, butter, and egg to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. (You can also use a hand mixer.) Mix until a thick dough forms. This will take a long time, especially if you're using a hand mixer. Just keep mixing! Add sprinkles and stir until incorporated.
- Press about ½-⅔ of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan.Pour sweetened condensed milk over the top of the dough, leaving a thin border around the edges. Sprinkle with white chocolate chips. Separate remaining dough into small balls and evenly space over the top of the bars. Press down to flatten. Try to seal the edges as much as possible.
- Bake bars for about 25-30 minutes, or until they just begin to brown. Cool completely before slicing, otherwise the mixture will be too gooey to cut.
- Use higher quality jimmies so they don’t melt – any color can be used. Do not use non-pareils.
- Wait until they’re cool to cut.
- I recommend baking in a metal pan with foil or parchment paper for easy removal.
Gooey Bar Variations
- Use any flavor cake mix
- Swap out the white chocolate chips with peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, chocolate chips!
- Skip the sprinkles – leave the batter plain or use mini chocolate chips or nuts or chopped candy.
- Make these with a funfetti cake mix and you don’t need to add sprinkles to the dough.
Last Updated on February 5, 2024