Sep 05

Lemon Blueberry Muffins {with white chocolate glaze}

These Lemon Blueberry Muffins are perfect for an on-the-go breakfast! Or you can serve them at brunch, with a white chocolate glaze!

Lemon Blueberry Muffins | crazyforcrust.com | #blueberry #breakfast

Last weekend, when Jordan got home from her sleepover, the mom emailed me and asked for my blueberry muffin recipe because Jordan proclaimed them the “BEST blueberry muffins ever!”

I found that funny, since she refuses to eat them. They have “big” blueberries in them. “Big” meaning, you know, regular ones. Jordan prefers the blueberries that come in the can in the box of blueberry muffin mix or, even better, the blueberry muffin mixes you just add water to.

After I got that email, I realized I had not shared these muffins with you. These Lemon Blueberry Muffins are actually the recipe I based my Fruity Pebbles Muffins off of, except these have lemon and blueberry.

And did I mention the white chocolate glaze?

That’s what sets these babies apart, I promise you that.

Lemon Blueberry Muffins | crazyforcrust.com | #blueberry #breakfast

When I think blueberry the first thing I think is lemon.

When I think lemon, the first thing I think is white chocolate.

So Lemon + Blueberry + White Chocolate must be good, right?

And it sooooo is!

Lemon Blueberry Muffins | crazyforcrust.com | #blueberry #breakfast

These muffins are based on my mom’s blueberry muffin recipe. I grew up with these babies. I’d wake up on a Saturday and smell something good, and my mom would be in the kitchen making muffins for breakfast. Those were the best weekends!

The lemon flavor from the zest and the juice gives the muffins a depth of flavor. And because I love to eat two (or three) muffins for breakfast sometimes, I like to take out some of the fat. I used some greek yogurt (I love Chobani) mixed with 2 tablespoons of oil for these muffins. The yogurt makes the muffin a little chewier and denser in texture than a regular muffin, so by mixing it with oil you get a good medium of health, fluff, and chewiness. (If you prefer not to use yogurt, or don’t have it, no worries. You can use oil instead!)

And then the piece de resistance…the glaze.

White chocolate is melted with some heavy cream to create a ganache. When ready to serve, dip the muffins in the ganache. It’l run down the sides and add the perfect touch of sweetness and glamour to the muffins.

I mean, it’s ganache. Other option: drink with straw.

I ganached have the muffins, but left the others plain. For a quick breakfast before school, plain is good. For a wow on a weekend – just add ganache!

Lemon Blueberry Muffins | crazyforcrust.com | #blueberry #breakfast

Oh, and don’t forget the blueberries. The BIG ones. You heard Jordan…these are the “BEST” muffins ever! ;)

Lemon Blueberry Muffins

• 1 teaspoons salt
  • 4 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with liners. (Makes about 24.) Spray them with cooking spray to avoid sticking to the paper.
  2. Whisk eggs, yogurt, and oil until no lumps remain. Stir in sugar, lemon, and lemon zest. Stir in baking powder and salt.
  3. Add half the flour and half the milk, stir to just combine. Add remaining flour and milk and stir until just combined. Carefully fold in blueberries.
  4. Scoop into muffin liners, 2/3 full. Bake for about 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. (Mine took 17 minutes.)
  5. While the muffins are cooking and cooling, add white chocolate and heavy cream to a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds, then whisk. Heat for up to 30 more seconds, until you can whisk together and the chocolate melts into the cream. Let cool for about 30 minutes.
  6. When ready to serve, dip the tops of the muffins in the glaze.
  7. Glaze is optional, but good!

Notes

The greek yogurt WILL change the texture and feel of the muffin. If you like a traditional muffin, substitute oil for the greek yogurt. These are dense muffins. If you prefer a lighter muffin, use about 3 or 3 1/2 cups flour.

Fruity Pebbles Muffins

Fruity-Pebbles-Muffins (1 of 8)w

Pumpkin Muffins with Streusel Topping

pumpkin bran muffins featured

Monster Cookie Muffins by Something Swanky
Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Muffins by I Wash You Dry
Blueberry Avocado Muffins by Gimme Some Oven

73 Responses to “Lemon Blueberry Muffins {with white chocolate glaze}”

1. Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies posted on September 5, 2013 at 4:11 pm (#)

Dorothy, you had me at white chocolate glaze. These babies sound and look absolutely delicious. I’m only a fan of blueberries if they’re hiding in a muffin, and I’d definitely enjoy them here!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 5th, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Same here, I can’t eat just blueberries! Thanks Kelly!

2. Jamie @lifelovelemons posted on September 5, 2013 at 4:54 pm (#)

That glaze on top! Oh my goodness!

3. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl posted on September 5, 2013 at 4:57 pm (#)

That first picture? OMG, just gorgeous. These absolutely look like the best blueberry muffin ever!

4. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet posted on September 5, 2013 at 5:26 pm (#)

I just had a type of lemon blueberry muffin over the weekend at a friends house. It did not have white chocolate on the top! I need to try this version!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 7th, 2013 at 12:01 pm

White chocolate makes these over the top! Thanks Nancy!

5. michelle posted on September 5, 2013 at 5:46 pm (#)

they look amazeballs, and the white chocolate glaze?! my kids would not eat ’cause they are weird about sweet glazes like that but I would eat a couple or 10. Perfect for a girls day :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 7th, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Totally! Jordan’s weird like that too!

6. Tieghan posted on September 5, 2013 at 6:46 pm (#)

oh that glaze! That amazing white chocolate glaze!! These look incredible and I am a blueberry machine, so these are on my must make list before blueberries are gone!! Better get on them soon!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 7th, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Thanks so much Tieghan!

7. Nora (Buttercream Fanatic) posted on September 5, 2013 at 7:03 pm (#)

These muffins look so amazingly fluffy, I can barely believe it! And then they’re glazed? Talk about the perfect breakfast

8. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen posted on September 5, 2013 at 7:33 pm (#)

I don’t like blueberries except when they’re in things, like muffins and breads. I bet I’d love these though! I have to say, the white chocolate ganache is my favorite part. So drippy and gorgeous, and you’re right, the only other way to eat would be through a straw! :) Pinned!

9. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com posted on September 5, 2013 at 8:39 pm (#)

These muffins look so out of this world delicious! Like from a fairy tale. Amazing colors, and the dripping glaze makes these muffins simply irresistible! Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 7th, 2013 at 11:59 am

Thanks so much Julia!

10. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on September 6, 2013 at 2:24 am (#)

That glaze…it’s like it fell from heaven. So soft. light, shiny, smooth. Mmmmmm! And the muffins themselves are beautiful! Pinned!

11. tanya posted on September 6, 2013 at 4:17 am (#)

You have been holding out on us! These are beautiful!

12. Erin | The Law Student's Wife posted on September 6, 2013 at 5:56 am (#)

Cracked up when I read the part about Jordan preferring the blueberries in the mix–I cannot wean my husband off of boxed brownies, no matter how fudgy a homemade one I make. He says mine are too “chocolatey.” Is that possible??

13. Sarah @ Miss Candiquik posted on September 6, 2013 at 7:10 am (#)

I’m pretty much sold on anything involving lemon…let alone bluberries and white chocolate! Thanks for sharing!

14. Kathy posted on September 6, 2013 at 8:14 am (#)

Lemon and blueberry go so well together! It is such a vibrant and fresh flavor! These muffins look terrific!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 7th, 2013 at 11:57 am

I know, they’re one of the best combos!

15. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life posted on September 6, 2013 at 8:18 am (#)

Lemon and blueberries are so good together. These muffins look so moist! I’ve done this combo before, but not with yogurt or white chocolate chips. I really like those additions! Yum!

16. Shawn @ I Wash You Dry posted on September 6, 2013 at 10:11 am (#)

I love adding greek yogurt to my muffins!! The texture is awesome! I have a fast blueberry muffin recipe that I have been using for weekend breakfasts, and my kids love it too. I will surprise them with yours this weekend and add some lemon and that ganache.. yum!!

17. Emily ~SoDomesticated~ posted on September 6, 2013 at 4:02 pm (#)

Yes, these definitely look like the BEST blueberry muffins… EVA! Yum!

18. Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner posted on September 6, 2013 at 4:17 pm (#)

I need these muffins in my life! Loving that glaze. Gorgeous as always. Pinned. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 7th, 2013 at 11:55 am

Thanks for the pin Tina!

19. Shiloh Barkley posted on September 6, 2013 at 6:08 pm (#)

Loving these cupcakes!!

20. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on September 6, 2013 at 8:58 pm (#)

Lemon and blueberry is my favorite combo, ever! Topped with this white chocolate glaze, I’m in love!

21. Elizabeth - SugarHero! posted on September 6, 2013 at 11:20 pm (#)

Dorothy, you are a genius!! I love that you use a white chocolate ganache as the glaze. There’s nothing more annoying than fiddling with a powdered sugar glaze, trying to get the right consistency, and then at the end–it just tastes like sugar. Womp-womp. I am TOTALLY trying these muffins! Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 7th, 2013 at 11:55 am

LOL, so true Elizabeth!! Thank you!

22. Yvonne @ bitter baker posted on September 7, 2013 at 1:54 pm (#)

You had me at lemon and blueberry, but it really was the white chocolate glaze that did the trick!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 7th, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Totally! Thanks Yvonne!

23. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats posted on September 7, 2013 at 8:12 pm (#)

Oh kids….they say and do the darndest things! That’s awesome she doesn’t even eat them and yet she’s tooting your horn!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 8th, 2013 at 4:25 pm

She’s my biggest fan, lol. Thanks Julie!

24. Jennifer posted on September 8, 2013 at 9:52 am (#)

There is something earring with is recipe! I made it today and just took them out of the oven and they’re doughy and don’t taste anything like a muffin would. I love the lemon and blueberries but these are gross. Could it be the 4 1/2 cups of flour?? The dough was thick and sticky…nothing like muffin dough I’ve made before. I followed directions to a T as well. Beware!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 8th, 2013 at 10:45 am

Hi Jennifer! I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy the muffins. The use of the greek yogurt does change the texture of the muffin. It makes them chewier and thicker. If you prefer a more traditional muffin, you can substitute oil for the greek yogurt as called for in the recipe!

25. Jackie posted on September 8, 2013 at 3:01 pm (#)

mouth watering for sure! yummy!

26. Wendy posted on September 8, 2013 at 4:19 pm (#)

I have had blueberry and lemon and I have had lemon and white chocolate but never all three.These sound great! I love using yogurt in recipes! The results are always so moist (and I like the slightly denser chewier crumb!). I am especially interested in trying your white chocolate ganache!

27. Amy posted on September 8, 2013 at 4:44 pm (#)

Whoever can stop at one muffin is my hero. Literally my hero. I need at least two, and I normally nibble on a third an hour or two after breakfast. No self-control when it comes to sweet baked goods! Especially ones with berries. And white (or dark) chocolate. Your muffins would disappear in a heartbeat if I ever came over. And that’s SO sweet that Jordan says they’re the best ever!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 9th, 2013 at 3:41 pm

One is not a breakfast. Two can be in a pinch, lol!!

• Amy replied on September 10th, 2013 at 12:59 pm

See, if you tell me that two = breakfast, then I’ll automatically reach for a third as my breakfast “dessert.” And still have that extra one an hour later. So if I tell myself that one = breakfast, I’ll still eat two, which will be perfect! (My mind is crazy. In case you haven’t figured that out yet. ;) )

28. Cathy@LemonTreeDwelling posted on September 9, 2013 at 7:50 pm (#)

Ha! I love the perspective of kids…..why is it they always love the stuff that’s not real food!? These babies look delicious – pretty sure I’d call them the best blueberry muffins, too!!

29. Jocelyn @ BruCrew Life posted on September 11, 2013 at 8:13 pm (#)

Just stop! Stop with all this deliciousess!! Ok, just kidding, don’t stop ;) Ever!

30. Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie posted on September 13, 2013 at 1:26 pm (#)

Love the addition of the white chocolate glaze! These sound delish :)

31. Mikey posted on September 26, 2013 at 7:06 pm (#)

These are awful. As stated by a previous commenter the ratio of flour to other ingredients is off by an absurd margin. Pls stop gushing over the idea ladies and try the recipe. Complete failure.

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 26th, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I’m sorry you don’t like them! I’ve made the recipe (different variations) several times, and it’s one I grew up on. The batter is very thick, and the yogurt changes the texture a lot. With all oil, they taste more traditional.

32. Karen posted on October 3, 2013 at 10:06 am (#)

Would love to make these for a get-away this weekend. What is their shelf life? I’m guessing they don’t last long once they are made but I’d like to make these for Sunday breakfast…can I bake them Friday and keep them refreidgerated until eating? Thank you!

33. Ritika posted on October 6, 2013 at 5:06 pm (#)

I just made these muffins and I’m not so satisfied with the outcome! First of all they taste raw no matter how long you cook them! And they are not sweet enough!

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 6th, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I’m sorry you didn’t like them! I didn’t have a problem with the cooking, they are chewier because of the greek yogurt. Could that be the problem in that respect? The sweetness…well, I guess that’s personal preference. Did you use the glaze?

• Monica replied on April 24th, 2014 at 8:41 am

I would prefer to use oil instead of greek yogurt… how much do I use??

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 24th, 2014 at 7:07 pm

1/2 cup should be good. Note that the recipe makes dense muffins. That’s how I grew up on them, but you can reduce the flour if you don’t like really dense muffins!

34. julie posted on October 24, 2013 at 7:58 pm (#)

lemon blueberry muffins… absolutely disgusting. lead weights, not enough oil to stop them sticking to the paper, tasteless and the glaze is the most disgusting thing I’ve ever tasted. ‘bake’ at your own risk, you’ve been warned… what a waste of good ingredients

36. Pingback: 50 Citrus Desserts - Chocolate Chocolate and More!

37. Monica posted on April 10, 2014 at 6:52 am (#)

These look great! If I substitute the yogurt for oil, do I still include the additional 3 additional tablespoons of oil? (the next ingredient on your list)

38. Allison Fiorini posted on May 10, 2014 at 6:00 pm (#)

I was already making these when I started to read the comments and I’ll admit, I was a little nervous. I was already skeptical of 4 1/2 cups of flour, but the pictures sold me on trying it anyway. The batter seemed thick and difficult to work with, and I added an extra splash of milk to help fold in the blueberries. However, I was delightfully surprised with how they looked when I peeked at them after only about 10 minutes. I took mine out around 17 minutes, too – they are delicious! I am about to glaze them now but they were good all by themselves. They will be a wonderful addition to my Mother’s Day brunch tomorrow. Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 10th, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Thank you Allison! I know they’re super dense, but that’s how we love our muffins! :)

39. Pingback: No Bake Blueberry Muffin Cheesecake Trifle

40. Pingback: I can’t find the baking powder… (My Day #1) | Untitled and Unfinished

41. fish oil 1500mg posted on July 7, 2014 at 3:38 am (#)

Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get
    my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good results.
    If you know of any please share. Thanks!

42. Pingback: 50 Mother's Day Recipes - Real Housemoms