Skip the expensive coffee shop muffins and make a batch of these easy lemon muffins instead! They are made with sour cream and fresh lemon juice so they are bursting with flavor and so moist and tender. This easy muffin recipe is perfect for breakfast and brunch or whenever you want a sweet snack.
I’m a sucker for bakery-style coffee shop muffins with a sweet crumb topping and lemon glaze but, woah, they get expensive, don’t they? I mean, a cup of coffee and a lemon muffin shouldn’t cost as much as tickets to a movie but maybe that’s just me.
But I’m guessing you feel that way, too? So, let’s make our own amazing muffins! Lemon crumb muffins, to be specific.
These easy muffins are bright, fresh, and so tender and moist. Basically, the perfect lemon muffin!
Table of Contents
What I Love about these Lemon Crumb Muffins
- They are super simple to make. You know me, I am all about the easy recipes!
- They are made with sour cream which pairs perfectly with the lemon. Sour cream also gives the muffins a really tender and moist crumb.
- This recipe make a big batch – 24 muffins! So, they’re perfect for potlucks or when you’re serving a crowd for brunch or breakfast.
- This lemon muffin recipe is freezer-friendly!
- If you don’t want to make a large batch you can easily cut the recipe in half.
- They are the perfect treat to go with your coffee without spending an arm and a leg.
How to Make Lemon Sour Cream Muffins
There are three (easy!) parts to this recipe: the batter, the topping and the glaze. The glaze is optional, but I highly recommend it – it adds a lemony sweet finish.
I like to make the topping first, that way it’s ready to go when the batter is done. Just combine flour, granulated sugar, salt and melted unsalted butter in a bowl and set it aside.
For the muffin batter you will need:
- Granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Lemon zest
- Fresh lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Sour cream
- All-purpose flour
Using an electric mixer, mix the eggs in a large bowl until they are thick and frothy. This is a very important step – the fluffy eggs help keep the muffins light.
Add the sugar and oil and mix again until the mixture is creamy.
Mix in the zest, lemon juice, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Add the sour cream and mix again.
Switch to a wooden spoon and stir in the flour. Mix just until the flour is incorporated – the batter may be slightly lumpy.
Layering in the Pan
Line a muffin pan with liners and fill each ¾ full with batter. Sprinkle the crumb topping over each. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
While the muffins are baking make the glaze by combining powdered sugar with lemon juice in a small bowl. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins.
How to Store Homemade Lemon Muffins
- Keep them in an airtight container and they will keep well for up to three days at room temperature.
- You can also freeze them for up to one month. If you want to do this, don’t glaze them until you are ready to serve them.
Other favorite muffin recipes:
Lemon Crumb Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin pans with paper baking cups. (This recipe makes 24-28 muffins. Half the recipe for a smaller batch!)
- Make the topping by stirring together all topping ingredients with a fork in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer, mix eggs with electric mixer about 1-2 minutes until thick and frothy. Mix in sugar and oil, beat until creamy. Mix in lemon zest, juice, vanilla, baking soda, salt. Mix in sour cream then stir in flour using a wooden spoon. (Batter may be slightly lumpy.)
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Sprinkle the tops with the crumble mixture. (I filled mine just a teeny bit too much. They got scary close to overflowing, so stick with 3/4 full!)
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of a muffin. Cool 5 minutes in pan then remove to a rack to cool completely.
- (The glaze is optional but adds another punch of lemon flavor.)
- Make the glaze: whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over muffins.
- Muffins should be kept in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze them for up to one month. (If freezing, omit glaze and make it before serving.)
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
These easy lemon muffins are perfect for breakfast, brunch or an afternoon snack. They’re also great with a glass of International Delight Iced Coffee. (This post was originally sponsored by International Delight and has been updated.)
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: May 6, 2020