Peppermint Gooey Bars
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
I looooove peppermint and chocolate…so you know a Peppermint Gooey Bar had to be on my to-bake list this season!
I think I’m part psychic. Call it women’s intuition, call it reading the future, I think I have a little bit of it in me. For example:
I know that Jordan is going to flip out over doing homework after school.
I know that she’s going to tell me she wants pizza for dinner.
I know that I’m going to try not to have a glass of wine tonight, but that I will fail.
See? I’m psychic.
So when I tell you I know you’re going to love these Peppermint Gooey Bars, I’m right – you will. I can see the future.
You’re going to make them and eat them and swoon with delight. It’s in the cards, I know it. 🙂
You can probably tell by now that the gooey bar is my new black. I’m totally making a new version every month, because y’all love them so much. So, here is my first holiday version: the Peppermint Gooey Bar, made with a chocolate cake mix.
You know what’s so great about gooey bars? They’re so darn easy. Seriously, 10 minutes bowl to oven. You need cake mix, sweetened condensed milk, and add-ins for flavor. This peppermint version uses chocolate cake mix, chocolate chips, and Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips. (You can find those in the holiday and/or baking section right now.)
Once you bake them, you add a little extra peppermint to the top in the form of crushed candy canes. These are optional, but they make the bars look so pretty and festive. A note about the candy canes: they aren’t going to totally stick. The smaller pieces will, because you add them when the bars are piping hot straight from the oven. You can’t add them before baking or they’ll melt. But they look pretty on top, and give a nice crunch to the bar. Add them or not, your choice!
These bars taste like peppermint brownies. Totally rich and fudgey! You’re going to love them, I know it.
And I do know it…because I’m psychic, remember? 🙂
Check out all my gooey bar recipes!
Peppermint Gooey Bars
- 1 box chocolate cake mix — 15-16 ounces, a normal size box
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips — semi-sweet or milk
- 1 cup Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup coarsely crushed candy canes — about 10 minis, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x9” pan with foil and spray really well with cooking spray.
- Place cake mix, egg, and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. (You can also use a hand mixer, it will just take longer.) Mix until the dough forms into a ball.
- Place about 2/3 of the dough in the bottom of the pan and press to form the crust.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and Andes Baking Chips over the top. Pour sweetened condensed milk over the chips.
- Drop pieces of the remaining dough evenly over the top of the pan. Press lightly to adhere.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes until the edges get golden and the cake top is no longer shiny. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Note: the candy canes will slightly melt into the top of the bars. Not all of them will stick. This is optional, and just to make them look pretty. You can omit the candy canes. (You can’t bake the candy canes on top or they will melt.)
- Cool completely, chilling if needed to speed up the process, then cut into bars.