This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
No one will guess these Cake Mix Cookies come from a box! It’s so easy to make crinkle cookies out of cake mix with only 3-ingredients. If you need an EASY cookie recipe – be sure to try this one!
Easy cookies for a busy season – that’s the perfect recipe, don’t you think?
These days it seems like my time is super thin, between working and exercising and being a parent…there’s not a lot of extra time this year. I’m trying to create shortcuts wherever I can, especially because I really want to enjoy the holidays.
These cookies are some of my favorite ones because they’re so easy. These Cake Mix Crinkles are even better because they’re a little fancier (perfect for Christmas) and no one will know they’re from a cake mix!
You can make easy cookies with only 3 ingredients!
I always love crinkle cookies at Christmas. They seem so festive, kind of like snowball cookies. We used to make chocolate crinkle cookies when I was a kid and I remember loving them.
I know cookies aren’t hard to make, but sometimes you have a cake mix and you just want to use it, or you don’t feel like measuring sugar and flour. (Or maybe you just love the cake mix flavor, which is totally me!) Whatever your reason for making cookies with a mix, these are a great go-to recipe for any occasion.
Cake Mix Crinkle Cookies are easy to make with any flavor cake mix!
Another reason I love cake mix cookies so much is because you can use ANY flavor cake mix. Lemon, chocolate, yellow, strawberry: you name it you can use it. Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies are some of my favorite behind these! That makes it SO easy to make a ton of different flavor cookies for your holiday platters without all the work and extra ingredients.
Easy holiday = winning in my book. I need easy this year.
Basically, follow my simple recipe and add your own flavor twists! Which cake mix flavor will you use?
How to make perfect Cake Mix Crinkle Cookies:
- Choose your cake mix flavor. Use whatever flavor you like, or pick a few!
- I love using vegetable oil which keeps them tender, but if you want to make cake mix cookies with butter, you can use melted butter instead.
- Use your favorite mix-ins (optional). I used chocolate chips in these crinkle cookies but you could leave them out. Or, add mint chip pieces or M&Ms or chopped candy.
- The dough is sticky, so if it’s too soft, chill it for 30 minutes before baking.
- I like to roll these in powdered sugar before baking – that’s what makes them crinkly!
Can you freeze cake mix cookies?
Yes! I always freeze cookies (learn how to freeze desserts). Simply stack them between paper towels or wax paper in an airtight container and freeze for up to a month. You may need to re-roll them in powdered sugar when thawing.
Other easy cookie recipes for the holidays:
- Christmas Sugar Cookies, three ways
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Red Velvet Blossom Cookies
Other holiday recipes I love:
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Easy Cake Mix Crinkle Cookies
- 1 15.25 ounce yellow cake mix (or any flavor)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or other mix-in, like M&Ms)
- Powdered sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with silat baking mats.
- Mix cake mix, oil, and eggs with a hand or a stand mixer until a sticky dough forms. Stir in chocolate chips. If dough is too wet to handle, chill for 30 minutes.
- Place about 1/2 cup powdered sugar in a small bowl. Scoop 2 tablespoon sized balls of dough and coat them with powdered sugar. Place on cookie sheets. Bake immediately (or powdered sugar will dissolve) for about 10-12 minutes. Cool at least 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheets.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.
Click here to see my best Cake Mix recipes!
Click here to see more of my Christmas cookie recipes!
Last Updated on November 19, 2019
My grandson is gluten intolerant, so I used King Arthur brand gluten free chocolate cake mix. I used mini chocolate chips for the add in. Everyone loved them! I’ve made scratch chocolate crinkle cookies for years, but these were the best, soft and chewy, like a brownie! Thanks for the recipe, this will be my go-to for crinkle cookies from now on.
I usually make these crinkles with 1 cake mix, 1 tub Cool whip (8oz) and 1 egg. Take 2 spoons and scoop dough and Roll in powered sugar and place on baking sheet for 10 minutes at 350
I found this recipe years ago and found out that the best cake mix is betty crocker, if you use the others like duncan hines you need to add a bit of less of oil to the mix. It is more liquid then solid with the other cake mixes.
Mine became all flat. Not like your picture. Do you know why?
Can I use pound cake mix or angel food cake mix for crinkle cookies?
I have never made cookies with those mixes so I am not sure.
Does a cake box cookie taste like a soft cake or does it taste like regular cookie dough?
Cookie. I tried the chocolate crinkle recipe first and it’s so good I can’t pull myself away to adventure a different flavor.
Oh ya, I also made the rolo snowballs when I first made cake mix cookies(chocolate) and they were pretty awesome too, but I still think chocolates the best so far…
It tastes like a regular cookie. I’ve tried this recipe many times and every time they tasted perfect.
I made several batches today for my brother up in St.louis, Mo. I’ll be mailing them on Saturday. I know he’s going to love them !
I made these cake mix cookies in many different flavors using many different additives at a Christmas baking party the 2018 season. They were a huge success !! I will definitely continue to use this process.
Way too oily, even after chilling dough. Had to pat w/ paper towels.A
I made these with Butter Golden cake mix. It was a very unappealing shade of yellow, so I added blue food coloring.
My 14 year old son could not get enough of them! He especially loved the ‘crinkle’ part!!
I’m making this recipe again tonight, with Butter Pecan flavor cake mix. Yum!!