Avocado chocolate mousse is a decadent dessert that’s healthier than a traditional mousse. Using avocados gives it a rich and creamy texture, but you can’t taste them! It’s a great way to treat yourself without overindulging.
This is a much healthier mousse recipe – and it’s so good!
Avocados in chocolate mousse? I know, I was skeptical, too, but let me tell you – avocado chocolate mousse is delicious, decadent, and you can’t even tell it’s made with avocados. It’s a great way to satisfy a chocolate craving in a healthy way.
Healthier Chocolate Mousse
If you’ve ever had traditional chocolate mousse, you already know it gets its rich and creamy texture from cream, eggs, and sugar. Don’t get me wrong – I love the classic version, but making it healthier just means I can indulge in it more. You can even adapt this recipe and make vegan or keto avocado chocolate mousse.
I’ve made this for family and friends, and everyone is so surprised when I tell them what’s in it – they think it’s a creamy chocolate pudding made with dairy and sugar and can’t believe that one of the main ingredients is avocado.
Plus, it’s easy to make! All you need is a food processor and about ten minutes to mix it up. Store in the fridge, and you’ll have a rich chocolate treat to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Ripe avocados – peeled with the pits removed
- Chocolate: I use semi-sweet chocolate
- Cocoa: Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Non-dairy milk like almond milk, coconut milk, or other milk of your choice
- Pitted dates for sweetness
- Vanilla extract and Salt for flavor
- Sweetener: Maple syrup, honey, or agave syrup – this is optional if you want to increase the sweetness, or you can use sugar-free sweetener like Swerve or Splenda
How to Make Avocado Chocolate Mousse
1. Blend avocados: Place the peeled and pitted avocados and dates in a food processor.
2. Melt Chocolate: Microwave the chocolate on 50% power in 30 second increments until it’s melted and smooth.
3. Add ingredients: Add the chocolate to the food processor along with the cocoa powder, non-dairy milk, vanilla, salt, and honey (or another sweetener).
4. Blend: Blend it all together for one minute and then stop and scrape down the sides. Repeat this blend and scrape process two more times or until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
5. Store: You can serve it right away or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Make It Vegan or Keto
You can easily adapt this recipe if you’re following a vegan or keto diet.
Vegan: To make it vegan, use unsweetened chocolate or your favorite vegan chocolate.
Keto: For a keto-friendly version, use your favorite keto sweetener in place of the honey and swap the semi-sweet chocolate for unsweetened chocolate.
Avocado Chocolate Mousse Recipe Tips
Avocados: Your avocados should be ripe but not over-ripe. The easiest way to know if they are ready is to press them lightly. If there is some give, they are ripe. They shouldn’t be mushy or hard.
Chocolate: I use semi-sweet, but you can use your favorite like milk chocolate or dark chocolate.
Dates: If your dates are very firm, I recommend soaking them beforehand to soften them up. They will breakdown easier when you blend them.
Make Adjustments to Suit Your Tastes
I love this recipe because you can easily adjust the ingredients to make your perfect avocado chocolate mousse.
- To make it richer, add more chocolate. Or try a combination of chocolate like milk and dark chocolate to switch up the flavor.
- Adjust the amount of sweetener (or omit it) depending on how sweet you like it.
- If your mousse is too thick, add a small amount of water to thin it.
Dress it Up or Keep It Simple
You can be unfancy like me and just enjoy it straight from the container as is, or fancy it up with some toppings.
Top it with chopped nuts, cocoa nibs, shaved chocolate, or add some fruit like fresh raspberries, strawberries, or sliced bananas.
I might never go back to regular chocolate mousse – this avocado chocolate mousse recipe is that good! I promise you can’t taste the avocado – it just disappears, and all you get is a spoonful of silky, rich chocolate mousse. I hope you love it!
Other Healthier Dessert Recipes
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- 3 ripe avocados
- 3 pitted dates
- 1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup nondairy milk coconut, almond, etc
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup honey or agave (optional for sweetness)
- Peel the 3 avocado’s and remove the pits. Place in a food processor. Remove the pits from the dates and place in the food processor. Pulse to break them apart and start to blend.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat at 50% power in 30 second increments until melted and smooth.
- Add chocolate and all other ingredients into the food processor and blend for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and repeat 2 more times for about 3 minutes total, or until it’s silky and smooth.
- Serve as is or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
This Avocado Chocolate Mousse is delicious, decadent, and you can’t even tell it’s made with avocados. It’s a great way to satisfy a chocolate craving in a healthy way.
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: January 7, 2021