This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Avocado Banana Bread is banana bread made even better with avocados! This healthier banana bread doesn’t have oil or butter but is tender, moist, and full of banana flavor. If you’ve never used avocado in baking, you have to try it!
I promise you that it’s not weird, using avocado in banana bread. It’s delicious – and even picky kid approved.
Move over guacamole, because I think I’ve found my new favorite way to use avocados! Yes, this is a banana bread recipe and, yes, it has avocado. If you haven’t tried using avocados in baked goods, I think you’re in for a happy surprise – it’s a great way to make a healthier banana bread that tastes amazing.
Banana Bread with Avocado
Avocados and bananas are a great pairing. If you search on Pinterest at all, so many recipes will come up with those two ingredients. So, I thought, what about avocado banana bread?
Avocado has a lot of healthy fats, a creamy texture, and the flavor is mild – it’s perfect for making a more nutritious quick bread. When you take a bite of this bread, all you get is the banana flavor – you’d never guess that it’s a loaf of banana bread without oil or butter.
For those of you who are still on the fence about avocado in dessert, note that the banana flavoring, as it often does, overpowers anything else.
The avocado is there to reduce the amount of unhealthy fat in the recipe and up the health factor. Did you know that avocados are on the heart-healthy list for the American Heart Association? Less butter + more avocado means this bread is better for you! While this avocado banana bread isn’t vegan, it is lighter than a regular bread.
Table of Contents
Substituting the oil and butter for avocado is a really easy way to up the nutrition without giving up that flavor of classic banana bread. The bread is so tender, moist, and delicious.
I did add some chocolate chips – hey, I figure if we’re going a little healthier with the bread, there’s no harm in adding a little chocolate! You can omit them, but chocolate chip avocado banana bread is delicious – the combination is great.
- Granulated sugar
- Avocados – make sure it’s ripe
- Brown spotted bananas – overripe
- Milk – you can use ANY kind of milk
- Vinegar and Baking soda – for leavening
- All-purpose flour – can use half and half whole wheat and all-purpose
- Chocolate chips – optional
The chocolate chips are optional, and the bread is great without them. But I highly recommend trying it!
How to make Avocado Banana Bread
The easiest way to make this recipe is with a food processor. You’ll use it to mash the avocados and blend the wet ingredients.
1. Mash: Start by mashing the avocados. Peel them and remove the pit and then place the flesh in the food processor or blender and blend them until smooth. Transfer the mash to a large bowl, add the sugar, and mix them with a hand mixer until combined.
2. Blend: Place the peeled bananas, eggs, milk, vinegar, and baking soda in the food processor or blender and process them until smooth.
3. Mix: Pour half of the mixture from the blender into the avocado and sugar mixture. Add one cup of flour and mix until just combined. Repeat this process with the rest of the flour and liquid ingredients. Be careful not to overmix the batter – just mix until the flour is absorbed into the wet ingredients.
4. Bake: Pour the batter into a prepared pan. To make chocolate avocado banana bread, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top and bake the bread for 40 to 50 minutes or until the top is browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Enjoy: Cool the bread for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Storage Tip: Because the bread is so moist (thank you, avocado and bananas!), it keeps well for several days at room temperature. Just wrap it in plastic wrap.
You can make the following substitutions:
- Brown sugar for granulated
- Any milk: nondairy or dairy
- Half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose
- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (i.e. Bob’s Red Mill)
- Instead of chocolate chips add nuts or leave it plain
Whenever I make this avocado bread, it’s devoured in a day. Jordan loves it, and if you know Jordan at all, you know that’s one of the highest endorsements anything can get. She loves a slice for breakfast – I do, too, and usually spread some walnut butter on my piece. It’s the best breakfast ever, especially with the chocolate chips.
If you haven’t baked with avocados, you should give this recipe a try – it’s easy to make, and I promise it tastes amazing! You can’t even tell the banana bread is made with avocados – it just tastes like delicious banana bread with a secret healthy twist.
Other Banana Bread Recipes
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Avocado Banana Bread
- 1 large or 2 small avocados (½ cup mashed)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 overripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips or nuts
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place avocados and bananas in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Add sugar to the bowl and mix with a hand mixer until well blended.
- Stir eggs, milk, vinegar, and baking soda into the banana mixture. Add flour and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan. Top with additional chocolate chips (if desired) and bake about 40-50 minutes, until it’s browned on the top and a toothpick comes out only with slight crumbs (or clean). Cool at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Avocado Banana Bread is an easy delicious banana bread recipe that uses avocado instead of oil. This bread is moist and perfect without butter and is so yummy with chocolate chips.
Last Updated on January 14, 2021