This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Chicken salad sandwiches are a classic for a reason. Add an avocado and you’ve got yourself a delicious lunch that is perfect to serve alongside potato chips, soup, or mixed greens! This super easy avocado chicken sandwich is sure to hit the spot.
Table of Contents
Easy Chicken Salad Sandwiches with Avocado
Fresh, savory, and packed with protein, it’s easy to see how this lunchtime favorite has become a go-to for so many over the years. We love this easy chicken salad without mayo – instead I use avocado and greek yogurt to bind the mixture together. These are healthier with a bit of southwestern flair!
- Chicken – This should be already cooked and either shredded or cubed. Rotisserie Chicken is great too!
- Avocado – medium-sized and ripe avocado
- Greek yogurt – nonfat, plain yogurt is best
- Salsa – Use your favorite brand
How to Make Chicken Salad Sandwiches without Mayo
- Prepare the chicken: Take your cooked chicken and either shred or cube it. Shredding can provide a more even texture, but cubing can give it a more dynamic consistency. It’s up to you!
- Combine the ingredients: Peel and seed your avocado and mash it thoroughly. In a medium bowl, mix avocado with salsa, salt, pepper, and yogurt. Once combined, stir in your shredded or cubed chicken and mix thoroughly.
- Build the sandwiches: On the bread of your choice, place a generous dollop of chicken salad and top it with your desired veggies. Enjoy!
If you store chicken salad with bread, yes, the bread will get soggy. If you want to save some of your salad for later, store it separately from the bread.
I recommend making the chicken salad ahead of time and assembling the sandwiches just before serving.
Yes! Eggs are totally optional in chicken salad.
Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- 2 cups cooked chicken (shredded or cubed, see note)
- 1 medium avocado
- ½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup salsa
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices Bread (or soft rolls)
- Lettuce, tomato, and/or onion, optional
- Shred or cube the chicken as desired.
- Remove the flesh from the avocado and place in a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher. Stir in yogurt, salsa, salt, and pepper. Stir in chicken.
- Serve chicken salad on a soft roll or toasted sliced bread. Top with lettuce, tomato, and onion if you wish!
Favorite Chicken Recipes
Last Updated on February 17, 2023
So happy I found your page! So many recipes I want to try! Going to start with the Avocado Banana Bread and the Avocado Chicken Salad! Can’t wait to try them out on my husband and mother-in-law!! And that slow-cooker monkey bread! Oh my!!
Enjoy!! And welcome!
I love avocados and chicken sandwiches and eat them a lot. Your recipe sounds awesome and I will be trying it out. I love to cream the avocado and mix with the chicken, spread on warm flour tortilla then add little coleslaw cut cabbage. Add a touch of your favorite dressing to moisten the cabbage if you’d like. (I use raspberry balsamic, just a couple of drops.) Roll and enjoy! Now I’m off to try your recipe. BTW glad you had a great time!
If I were to make this ahead of time and try to eat it for lunch throught out the week, do you think it would hold up in the fridge ok? Or would the avocados brown and make everything nasty? Thanks!
It was on my counter for about 3 days before it finally disappeared and it was totally fine!
I just tried this recipe and served the chicken salad on a bed of baby spinach…it turned out great! 🙂
YUM! That would be so great. I’m trying it! Thanks for telling me!
This sandwich might just make me like avocados! I don’t hate them but rarely eat them. I do like chicken sandwiches 😉
Oh, I can’t get enough Avocados!! 🙂 Thanks Lyuba!
I seriously made an avocado chicken salad TODAY!! I am obsessed with avocado! But greek yogurt sounds like a yummy replacement for mayo!
YES I need more avocado in my life! Why didnt I think to put them in chicken salad? Glad when I drop the avocado recipe ball you pick it up for me. These look fantastic! I cant wait to try them. Ohh.. and I cant wait to hear what you learned at BBC! 🙂
You and I are like the avocado sisters. 🙂 Thanks Kelley!
Dorothy, this sandwich looks amazing! I’m always looking for new ways to jazz up sandwiches since I eat them so often. And I’d LOVE to hear all about your grown-up conference weekend!
I felt the same way coming back from my conference. Too much info out there!!
Seriously I love this chicken salad! It might become my new staple.
Hubby loves avocados (I’m allergic). If i made these for him I would get bonus points for sure!
Can’t wait to hear what you learned at bloggy conf. In another life I would love to go but health (8 back surgeries) limits what I do. But I do enjoy my little blog and am always looking for ways to make it better. I just had my daughter put a ‘pin it’ button on and I also learned how to add a ‘print recipe’ feature.’ A Facebook page is in my near future! Love your blog and am always inspired by your food–and heartfelt posts.
Yes, a FB page is a must! I’ll try and share my knowledge soon. 🙂 Thanks Cindy!