This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Chicken salad sandwiches are a classic for a reason. Add an avocado and you’ve got yourself a delicious lunch that is perfect to serve alongside potato chips, soup, or mixed greens! This super easy avocado chicken sandwich is sure to hit the spot.
Table of Contents
Easy Chicken Salad Sandwiches with Avocado
Fresh, savory, and packed with protein, it’s easy to see how this lunchtime favorite has become a go-to for so many over the years. We love this easy chicken salad without mayo – instead I use avocado and greek yogurt to bind the mixture together. These are healthier with a bit of southwestern flair!
- Chicken – This should be already cooked and either shredded or cubed. Rotisserie Chicken is great too!
- Avocado – medium-sized and ripe avocado
- Greek yogurt – nonfat, plain yogurt is best
- Salsa – Use your favorite brand
How to Make Chicken Salad Sandwiches without Mayo
- Prepare the chicken: Take your cooked chicken and either shred or cube it. Shredding can provide a more even texture, but cubing can give it a more dynamic consistency. It’s up to you!
- Combine the ingredients: Peel and seed your avocado and mash it thoroughly. In a medium bowl, mix avocado with salsa, salt, pepper, and yogurt. Once combined, stir in your shredded or cubed chicken and mix thoroughly.
- Build the sandwiches: On the bread of your choice, place a generous dollop of chicken salad and top it with your desired veggies. Enjoy!
If you store chicken salad with bread, yes, the bread will get soggy. If you want to save some of your salad for later, store it separately from the bread.
I recommend making the chicken salad ahead of time and assembling the sandwiches just before serving.
Yes! Eggs are totally optional in chicken salad.
Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Shred or cube the chicken as desired.
- Remove the flesh from the avocado and place in a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher. Stir in yogurt, salsa, salt, and pepper. Stir in chicken.
- Serve chicken salad on a soft roll or toasted sliced bread. Top with lettuce, tomato, and onion if you wish!
Last Updated on February 17, 2023