This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Healthier chocolate truffles? Yes, it can be done! These Chocolate Avocado Truffles are made with no cream – just chocolate and avocado! All you need is a food processor and a few simple ingredients to make them.
If you’ve been following along, you are well aware of my avocado obsession at this point. And while I love adding avocado to all my dinners and many of my desserts, my new favorite thing to do with the green wonder is to make healthier desserts like these avocado and chocolate truffles.
I was inspired to make these truffles after discovering avocado can replace butter and other fats in many recipes. Avocado has a rich and buttery texture, but it also has a very mild flavor, making it easy to mask in sweet recipes. If you are new to the idea of avocado truffles, I can promise that you can’t even tell it’s in there!
Avocado Replaces the Cream in These Healthier Chocolate Truffles
Truffles usually are made with heavy cream and chocolate. To make vegan truffles, you can swap the cream for avocado and mix it with chocolate to create a ganache-like texture. When it’s chilled, it firms up and has a rich, chocolatey texture and flavor.
You can do so much with the outside of the truffles: dip them in chocolate, roll them in powdered sugar, cocoa, coconut, nuts, sprinkles…the ideas are infinite. I go with a simple coating: just an easy roll in chocolate sprinkles.
If you have a food processor and a ripe avocado on hand, you can make these truffles!
Table of Contents
- Small avocado – or just under ½ cup mashed avocado
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – use a high-quality brand like Ghiradelli or Guittard
- Coating – Chocolate sprinkles, coconut, cocoa or powdered sugar for rolling
How to Make Chocolate Avocado Truffles
1. Blend: Blend the avocado in a food processor until it’s smooth.
2. Melt: In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stopping to stir between each, until it’s smooth.
3. Stir: Stir the avocado and vanilla into the melted chocolate, and then chill the mixture until it’s firm.
4. Scoop: Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Place your topping in a small bowl. Using a one tablespoon cookie scoop, form the chilled chocolate and avocado mixture into balls. Roll each one in your desired topping and then place them on the cookie sheet.
5. Chill: Chill the truffles until you ready to serve them.
Truffle Coating Ideas
I love the chocolate sprinkles, but you can coat your truffles with all kinds of things:
- Cocoa powder
- Powdered sugar
- Sweetened coconut flakes
- Crushed nuts like peanuts, almonds, or walnuts
- Drizzle them with melted chocolate or white chocolate
- Different colored sprinkles
Can you taste the avocado in the truffles?
I can’t really tell the avocado is even in them! There is maybe a hint, but I think it complements the chocolate. You may be able to taste the avocado more after the truffles have sat in the fridge for a few days, but I think they still taste great.
How long do chocolate avocado truffles last?
Keep them in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I think they’re best enjoyed within three to four days. Of course, I still love regular chocolate truffles, but those are a one-in-a-while treat. These avocado and chocolate truffles are healthier, so I feel like I can make them more often. I love to make a batch to keep in the fridge – they’re the perfect chocolate fix when you get a craving. Give them a try – I think you will love them, too!
Other Sweet Treats
Chocolate Avocado Truffles
- 1 small avocado just under ½ cup mashed
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips use a good brand; I like Ghiradelli or Guittard
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Sprinkles, cocoa, powdered sugar, or coconut for rolling
- Place avocado in a food processor and blend until smooth. Meanwhile, add chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl and melt for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Once chocolate is melted and smooth, stir in avocado and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least a few hours. (I forgot to add the vanilla in mine, but they were still good! Do what you’d prefer.)
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Place sprinkles in a dish for rolling. You can also use cocoa powder, powdered sugar, or sweetened coconut, if you prefer. Use whatever you would cover regular truffles in! Use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop balls of the chocolate mixture. Roll into even sized balls. Roll in topping, place back on cookie sheet. Chill until ready to serve.
A healthier truffle does exist! These Chocolate Avocado Truffles are made with no cream – just chocolate and avocado!
Last Updated on January 28, 2021
Can these be frozen?
Do you add oil or butter when you melt chocolate?
I didn’t, but sometimes chips can be tricky, especially if they’re a little old. Chocolate is easier than white, but if you feel more comfortable you can add 1/2-1 teaspoon of oil or crisco when you start melting the chips!
Even though I don’t think they would last too long in my house, typically how long do these last in the fridge?
I think about 4 days! Enjoy!
The Chocolate Avocado Truffles were the best truffles I’ve eaten without worrying about all that sugar.
I love truffles and came across your recipe while looking for chocolate bundt cake recipe, yet truffles what I ended up making, coated with shredded coconut!!
I enede up reading your blog because I noticed that your pictures were well composed (I just took digital photo class) and it pays off to have DSLR camera and know how to use it! Definitely attracted me.
Thanks Mila! I’m so glad you liked them. I love, love these truffles too, and with coconut I bet they are amazing!
Those chocolate balls look amazing!
Sparkles and Shoes
Thanks for this great job!!!!! How long can I leave these truffles at room temperature?
I kept them in the fridge for storing, but depending on how warm it is, a few hours or longer. Once they start to soften, I’d refrigerate them for a bit to firm back up!
The chocolate avocado truffles sound so good and they look so pretty covered in jimmies! I’ll be pinning these so I can try them soon.
Thanks so much! Enjoy!