This Fresh Strawberry Pie Recipe is the perfect berry pie for summer. I made this pie without jello so it uses the fruit to naturally gel the pie filling. It’s my GO TO recipe and one that everyone who tastes it loves.
The fresh berries taste so good with the pie crust and fresh whipped cream on top!
Why this is the BEST Strawberry Pie Recipe
You will love this easy pie for so many reasons:
- It’s completely from scratch – from the pie crust to the filling
- Made without jello or gelatin – the fruit makes it’s own!
- Great way to use up fresh summer strawberries
If you love strawberries this is the best way to use them! I cannot think about strawberries and summer without thinking about the strawberry fields in Anaheim – the sweet sticky air of the early summer mornings walking from the campground to Disneyland. This pie brings back those memories and it will bring back your childhood summer memories too!
How to make Strawberry Pie Video
Table of Contents
- Why this is the BEST Strawberry Pie Recipe
- How to make Strawberry Pie Video
- Ingredients for Strawberry Pie Filling and Crust
- How many Strawberries do you need for a pie?
- Strawberry Pie Filling without Jello or Gelatin
- How to make Fresh Strawberry Pie
- What crust goes best with Strawberry Pie Filling?
- Strawberry Pie Recipe FAQs
- Strawberry Pie Recipe
Ingredients for Strawberry Pie Filling and Crust
Just a few simple ingredients are needed:
- Fresh Strawberries (see below for details)
- Granulated Sugar for sweetness
- Cornstarch for thickening – no gelatin
- Pie Crust: you can use any you like but traditionally this is made with a pastry crust.
How many Strawberries do you need for a pie?
It’s always a question, isn’t it? A recipe calls for a pound but you can only buy a pint, or you have a pound and the recipe calls for 6 cups. How many strawberries do you actually need for a fresh strawberry pie?
The rule of thumb is that 2 cups of berries is about ¾ of a pound, also called a pint. A quart of berries is about 2 pounds (or around 2 pints) depending on the size of the berries.
For this recipe you need 5-6 cups of berries, which is about 2 pounds. Buy 2 pounds of berries, just to be safe.
Strawberry Pie Filling without Jello or Gelatin
You can easily make a strawberry pie without jello or gelatin.
I know the traditional strawberry pie recipes use jello but I don’t love it. I’m not a jello lover so I try to avoid it unless I’m making jello shots or pretzel salad.
When you’re making a fresh strawberry pie filling, you cook some of the fruit like you would jam. The pectin in the fruit gels it enough when mixed with sugar and cornstarch that you don’t need the gelatin for it to solidify.
It’s almost like you’re making an apple pie filling, but with strawberries, and then you mix the filling with more fresh berries to take the shape of the pie. That makes it super simple and such a fresh and delicious pie recipe.
How to make Fresh Strawberry Pie
1. Crust: Blind Bake your crust according to package or recipe directions.
2. Berries: Measure out two cups of berries, wash and hull them, then crush them with a potato masher.
3. Cook the filling: Add the crushed strawberries, sugar, water, and cornstarch to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until it boils. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Cool completely before continuing. (You can also make this the day before.)
4. Assemble: To assemble the pie, hull and slice the remaining strawberries and place them in a bowl. Pour the cooled strawberry filling over the top and stir. Place in pie crust.
5. Chill and Serve: Chill for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving. Top with fresh whipped cream before serving.
What crust goes best with Strawberry Pie Filling?
Traditionally I think you see pastry crusts with strawberry pie, but you can really use any pie crust recipe.
If you’re using a pastry crust, you’ll want to blind bake it before filling.
You can also use a store-bought crust, I won’t tell.
Strawberry Pie Recipe FAQs
If you want to make your strawberry pie ahead of time, you can make the jam filling the day before then chill it until you’re ready to make the pie. I highly recommend making this fresh strawberry pie recipe the day you’re going to serve it. You’ll need to chill it to set for an hour or so, but leftover strawberry pie is not good. Strawberry pie is best the day it’s assembled.
This is the complain I see most often and 99% of the time it’s because you didn’t let the filling cool before adding the berries. You have to let the cooked filling cool COMPLETELY before adding any fresh berries. If it’s warm or hot, it’ll cook the berries, causing them to leak moisture, causing your pie to be runny, weepy, or not set up. This also happens if you let the pie sit too long in the refrigerator, which is why it’s best eaten the day it’s assembled.
I don’t recommend using frozen berries in this – they will be too wet and cause the pie to be runny.
The key is making the strawberry puree thick with cornstarch and then mixing it with fresh berries once it’s cooled.
When you have an abundance of fresh picked strawberries, you can make so many recipes!
Strawberry pie is the perfect summer pie recipe. Be sure to grab a few extra cartons while you’re at the store so you can make this pie and some strawberry shortcake too.
Love fruit pies? Be sure to make some of my other favorite fruit pie recipes:
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
Strawberry Pie Recipe
- Blind Bake your crust according to package or recipe directions.
- Measure out two cups of berries, wash and hull them, then crush them with a potato masher.
- Add the crushed strawberries, sugar, water, and cornstarch to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until it boils. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Cool completely before continuing. (You can also make this the day before.)
- To assemble the pie, hull and slice the remaining strawberries and place them in a bowl. Pour the cooled strawberry filling over the top and stir. Place in pie crust. Chill for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving. Top with fresh whipped cream before serving.
- This pie is best eaten the same day its made. It will get weepy if refrigerated overnight.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**
This easy FRESH Strawberry Pie Recipe has a filling with no gelatin and tons of fresh strawberries. Make it with your favorite pie crust for the perfect summer pie recipe!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: May 31, 2021