Jan 20

Fudgy Brownies with Coconut Frosting

Fudgy Brownies with Coconut Frosting

I love the show Modern Family. It’s one of those shows that I know I can count on for a laugh every single week. Even just now, writing this at 6am, I’m chuckling inside because I’m remembering some of the one-liners. I swear, those writers are geniuses.

It would be hard for me to pick a favorite character, but Phil is one of them. Probably because, and I swear this is true, Phil and my husband are, like, the same person. The only difference between them is that Phil is kind of clueless about how funny he is in a not-funny-kind-of-sill way. My husband knows full well he’s being funny-silly and does it on purpose.

Their humor? Is exactly the same.

I often laugh so hard at that show not because of the show but because I swear I could hear my husband saying the things that comes out of Phil’s mouth. That’s what makes it so funny. Sometimes I wonder if Mel is secretly moonlighting as a TV writer.

Remember that episode where he gave his daughter a book titled Phil’s-osphy? OMG I think I laughed so hard I cried through that episode. Some of my favorite Mel Phil quotes (courtesy of the ABC website):

“Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration, and 2% attention to detail.”

“You can tell a lot about a person from his biography.”  {<–that one? OMG fits of uncontrollable giggles because it is hallmark Mel.}

“Never be afraid to reach for the stars because even if you fall, you’ll always be wearing a Parentchute™.” {<– again, a word Mel would totally make up.}

God, I love that show.

Fudgy Brownies with Coconut Frosting

Another thing I’ve always loved? Boxed brownie mix. I’ve always sworn it’s the best. There’s not a from-scratch recipe that can top it!

I was wrong.

So very, very wrong.

Because this? THIS is the brownie I was meant to love. It is similar to the boxed mix, fudgy center, flakey top, just like I love. But it’s so much more fudgy. And so much more chocolatey.

Probably because I put three kinds of chocolate in it: unsweetened chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, and cocoa powder. It’s like the trifecta of chocolate for brownies. They marry along with the sugar and butter and eggs to create my favorite new brownie.

I couldn’t just post brownies though. I mean, I’m me. One of my favorite things to pair with chocolate is coconut. I love me some coconut! I made a butter based frosting that has the trifecta of coconut: coconut milk, coconut extract, and toasted coconut.

What’s two trifectas put together? A nine-ecta?

I asked Mel and he said a six pack. Or a double triple.

Fudgy Brownies with Coconut Frosting

Either way, these brownies are the bomb. Fudgy, rich, chocolatey with a touch of coconut. I ate way too many of them. I know you will too! :)

Fudgy Brownies with Coconut Frosting

• 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • For the frosting:
  • 1 cup toasted coconut
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons coconut extract (imitation is fine)
  • 2-3 tablespoons coconut milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
  2. Place the two baking chocolates and butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Heat on HIGH power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate is smooth. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and cocoa and stir well. Add flour and stir carefully.
  3. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake about 25 minutes, until a toothpick 2 inches from the outside of the pan comes out clean. Let cool before cutting.
  4. To make the frosting, beat butter in a large bowl with a hand mixer until smooth. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until crumbly. Beat in extract. Add coconut milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you reach your desired consistency. Add about 3/4 of the toasted coconut (reserving the rest to sprinkle on top) and stir.
  5. Spread frosting over the top of the cooled brownies. Sprinkle with remaining coconut and slice into squares.

Notes

To toast coconut, place in a frying pan over low heat. Stir constantly until it just begins to brown. Remove from pan to a bowl immediately.

Other coconut goodness here at Crazy for Crust:

Coconut Macaroon Cake Batter Shake

cake batter coconut shake words

Almond Joy Mountains

Almond Joy Mountains

Watergate Cake from Shugary Sweets
Samoas Dip from Something Swanky
Carrot Cake from Mom on Timeout

I’m joining in with the chocolate party!

chocolate-party-logo-2

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingLil’ LunaBuns In My OvenChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

70 Responses to “Fudgy Brownies with Coconut Frosting”

1. Back For Seconds posted on January 20, 2013 at 3:35 pm (#)

Oh man, that is one of the best shows of all time. So hilarious! I remember that episode!! Lol!
    I love these brownies! I made similar ones awile ago
    Now I guess i HAVE to make these too. You know, to compare :)
    Brownies are my weakness, these look perfect, Dorothy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 20th, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I remember those now! Oh, I think I need to make your version… :)

• Edmee replied on May 1st, 2014 at 12:00 am

How deep should the pan be when baking the brownies? i have a school project where I make a container for a backing good, and I would like to use this recipe.

• Dorothy Kern replied on May 1st, 2014 at 6:35 am

I use a traditional 9×13″ pan. It’s got 2″ sides. It’s a Pyrex glass dish, but you can also use a 9×13″ metal cake pan.

2. Anne@FromMySweetHeart posted on January 20, 2013 at 4:03 pm (#)

Dorothy…..I totally think you hit the “double triple” here. (I’m smiling as I type this….I love that term!) I agree with you…so many boxed brownies are actually pretty good. But it looks like these are here to stay. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your coconut topping and I cannot wait to try these. Adding them to my Pinterest Brownie board….they look THAT good! Welcome to the party! : )

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 20th, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Thanks Anne! That coconut topping was the bomb. :)

3. Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs posted on January 20, 2013 at 4:56 pm (#)

Dorothy these look out of this world good! Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate? Yes, please. Can’t wait to try them soon.

4. aimee @ shugarysweets posted on January 20, 2013 at 6:21 pm (#)

I love chocolate and coconut. Thanks for including my watergate cake!! And I haven’t watched Modern family in awhile. Sadly, I was watching too much tv and that show got the bump. Funny stuff, but something had to give :)

5. Kristin posted on January 20, 2013 at 8:20 pm (#)

You’re jumping the gun with those V-Day decorations in the background, eh??

This looks do-able. I’m so loyal to boxed brownie mix. It’s foolproof.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2013 at 6:36 am

Never! I’ve been thinking V-day since Dec 26. It’s about darn time, lol. ;) And me too, I’ve always resisted making my own brownies because I LOVE brownie mix. But this recipe is SO GOOD.

6. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel posted on January 20, 2013 at 8:44 pm (#)

Phil is my favorite, too! He is totally awesome and my hero. I guess you can pass this info along to Mel as well lol. Love these brownies!

7. Nicole posted on January 20, 2013 at 8:50 pm (#)

These are absolute perfection! I just love the chocolate & coconut combo. I think I’ll make a batch of the frosting and just eat that tonight ;)

8. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen posted on January 21, 2013 at 1:56 am (#)

I don´t remember ever making boxed brownies, and I´m glad you found a from-scratch recipe. That coconut topping is decadent, gorgeous recipe!

9. sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more posted on January 21, 2013 at 5:41 am (#)

I love that show, the last one where the dad kept hurting his daughter and he was all “what’s wrong with me” that is me totally;p And these look amazing!!!

10. sally @ sallys baking addiction posted on January 21, 2013 at 5:59 am (#)

modern family – great show is right. chocolate and coconut can do no wrong in my eyes. Glad you made a from scratch version that you love!

11. Sarah @ Miss CandiQuik posted on January 21, 2013 at 6:31 am (#)

These brownies look divine!! Omg…you can really tell from the picture just how fudgy and amazing they truly are. Can’t wait to meet you in Austin, can you bring these please ;).

12. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on January 21, 2013 at 7:18 am (#)

Yesss I love Modern Family! hilarious!!!! And so glad you’ve come over to the side of homemade brownies!!! Soooooo good!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I’m not sure if I’ll ever go back! :)

13. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction posted on January 21, 2013 at 8:15 am (#)

I love fudgy brownies and I love coconut. . .these are the perfect brownie!!

14. Lisa posted on January 21, 2013 at 10:59 am (#)

I love Modern Family too!! And I realized the other day that I’m raising Manny! Gavin had a playdate the other day and he was so Manny-esk, that I could not stop laughing. “Oh, I’m sorry I forgot to show you where the bathroom was!” “Would you like to see the rest of our house?” “You can pick what we play, you’re the guest.” Kind of awesome.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2013 at 6:18 pm

LOL! That’s too funny. I love Manny. :)

15. Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen posted on January 21, 2013 at 12:50 pm (#)

I wish I had a real-live Phil in my life! It must be awesome…

These brownies look incredible. I love the coconut and chocolate combination, but I’ve never had them in a brownie!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2013 at 6:17 pm

It’s hilarious when he comes out, lol! :)

16. Averie @ Averie Cooks posted on January 21, 2013 at 12:51 pm (#)

Love the brownie recipe. My go-to brownie recipe is very similar. 3 eggs, same amt of butter, slightly more melted choc and no cocoa powder, same amt of flour. I love it. I could DIVE INTO yours. So rich and fudgy!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I just love all the extra chocolate. It makes them almost gooey! :)

17. Shiloh Barkley posted on January 21, 2013 at 2:20 pm (#)

These are making my mouth water!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 21st, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Me too…. :) Thanks Shiloh!

18. Pamela posted on January 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm (#)

Oh I love coconut and chocolate! These look so yummy! Thanks for sharing!

19. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme posted on January 21, 2013 at 6:33 pm (#)

These brownies are to die for! I have to admit I never saw an episode of Modern Family but from the previews I see they are always hilarious. I think I need a big plate of these brownies and sit back and watch Modern Family for once after I put the kiddos to bed. I always love a good laugh!

20. Summer @ Mallow and Co posted on January 21, 2013 at 7:17 pm (#)

Oh My Gosh we LOVE Modern Family! Phil’s Phil-osphies? So good!!!! Ha ha, but besides that these brownies look to die for. I saw them on pinterest and didn’t even realize they were yours but repinned them immediately–how could I say no to that frosting!

21. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on January 21, 2013 at 7:45 pm (#)

Those brownies are so fudgey looking…and topped with that coconut butter cream! Man what I would give for a huge slice of that right now!!! I love all things chocolate and coconut!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2013 at 7:02 am

Me too! Thanks Jocelyn!

22. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen posted on January 21, 2013 at 8:01 pm (#)

Now that is a brownie I want to sink my teeth into! Yum-o! Thanks for linking at Show Me Your Plaid Monday’s

23. Alyssa Rivers posted on January 21, 2013 at 9:39 pm (#)

This post was made for me! I have a slight obsession with coconut! These brownies look fantastic! Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2013 at 7:01 am

Uh, me too. Slight like huge. :) Thanks for the pin!

24. Jenn posted on January 21, 2013 at 9:48 pm (#)

Chocolate and coconut! One of my all time favorites! Your brownies look delicious and I can’t wait to go through the other links. Have a great week!
    Jenn
    P.S. I tried to subscribe on your RSS feed but it wasn’t coming up…

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 22nd, 2013 at 7:00 am

That’s weird Jenn! Are you using Safari by chance? I know that I have issues with that sometimes. Let me know what browser you’re using and I’ll troubleshoot!

25. Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com posted on January 21, 2013 at 10:11 pm (#)

Those look so good annnd your pictures are amazing! :)

26. Brenda posted on January 22, 2013 at 1:38 pm (#)

I love boxed brownies … but I will give your recipe a try! Modern Family is one of our favorite shows … truly laugh out loud funny!

27. Katie @ Dip It In Chocolate posted on January 22, 2013 at 2:09 pm (#)

I saw these on either FB or Instagram yesterday and my heart jumped a little bit. They look SO good! I am a box brownie girl too, I will have to try your recipe.

Modern Family? Hilarious. Phil, and Luke are my favorites and Phil totally reminds me of my husband too! He’s not clueless either but he has that corny sense of humor.

28. Pingback: Fudgy Brownies with Coconut Frosting - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

29. Nancy Pfeifer posted on January 23, 2013 at 8:54 pm (#)

First time visiting your blog. I hope you stop by to link: http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/01/link-party-4.html

30. Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile posted on January 23, 2013 at 10:58 pm (#)

Who doesn’t like Chocolate. Wow, your brownies are amazing, my husband loves coconut and is going to love these. Your pictures are beautiful, I can almost taste them.
    I am hosting a link party over at memoriesbythemile.com and would love for you to stop by.
    Thanks for hosting your party.
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

31. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on January 25, 2013 at 1:55 pm (#)

Mmmm! Can’t beat a good brownie recipe – or a few good quotes! The coconut puts this over the top!
    Thanks for sharing on Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker.

32. Jennifer posted on January 25, 2013 at 2:45 pm (#)

This looks yummy! Please share this in a new Linky Party –Weekend Kitchen Creations at http://www.weekendkitchencreations.blogspot.com. Please join us, share your delicious creation, build more traffic for your blog and get other scrumptious ideas.

33. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts posted on January 25, 2013 at 3:04 pm (#)

Wow, that is some frosting! I am a sucker for brownies, the fudgier the better!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 25th, 2013 at 4:35 pm

These are totally that! :) Thanks Erin!

34. Jean | Lemons & Anchovies posted on January 26, 2013 at 8:28 am (#)

I felt the same way about boxed brownie mix until I started making my own. In my book, the more chocolate the better and the addition of coconut frosting takes these over the top. Perfect for the Chocolate Party.

BTW, we live in the same neck of the woods–nice to know another local blogger. :)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 27th, 2013 at 4:14 pm

There are so many in the Bay Area. We’ll have to do a gathering!

35. Nancy @ gottagetbaked posted on January 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm (#)

Wow do these brownies look rich, fudgy and moist. That coconut frosting is making me drool – I’m going to make a big vat of it and use it to cover everything (or sip it from a cup…don’t judge me).

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 27th, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Ha, I ate a lot of it with a spoon… so I won’t judge! :)

36. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking posted on January 28, 2013 at 6:02 pm (#)

I rarely watch tv but I think it’s time to check out the Modern Family. Sounds pretty funny :)
    These brownies sound amazing I love fudgy brownies and the coconut frosting sounds insanely good! Thanks for bringing them to this month chocolate party

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 28th, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Thanks for hosting it Roxana!

37. Pingback: Red Velvet Molten Lava Cupcakes - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

38. Pingback: Truffle Stuffed Brownie Pops - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

39. lynn @ the actor's diet posted on March 28, 2013 at 5:55 pm (#)

i grew up eating mounds bars by the handful – this is my dream come true!

40. Pingback: The Best Orange Frosted Brownies - Crazy for Crust