Gooey Coconut Pie Bars
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Gooey Coconut Pie Bars – We can all just say I’m crazy for coconut, especially after making these!
Whenever I say my blog name to people who are not bloggers and not in the food world, they say, “Oh, you sell pizza?” It constantly boggles my mind that people do not think about pie crust as much as I do.
I think about crust multiple times a day. I think about what pie I can make next. I think about what dessert I can make into pie. I think about what recipe I can give a crust that doesn’t have one.
You could say I’m crazy for crust, obviously. My goal in life is to give every single dessert a crust at some point, and to turn every pie I love into something else that’s secretly getting pie into every other dessert.
The goal for these Gooey Coconut Pie Bars was to turn my favorite coconut pie into a bar cookie with a shortbread crust.
I think my other goal in life, as I mentioned last week, is to make as much coconut dessert as I want all year long. I cannot believe I went 34 years of my life thinking I hated coconut.
These bars are like a gooey bar married a coconut pie married shortbread bars married pie bars. You know, if food could marry more than one thing at a time.
The base recipe is from these Chocolate Almond Toffee Shortbread Bars, that have a buttery shortbread crust and a gooey sweetened condensed milk filling. I took out the chocolate and almonds and toffee and added COCONUT.
The result of these Gooey Coconut Pie Bars? A gooey shortbread bar that tastes like coconut pie.
Gooey Coconut Pie Bars Are Perfect For Any Occasion
Don’t tell anyone, but I think I love making pie bars more than I love making traditional pie. One, it’s easier to cut. Two, it’s easier to eat – no fork! And three, it’s easier to store, freeze, and package for giving.
In other words, these Gooey Coconut Pie Bars are perfect for anything – a party, a potluck, giving to a friend, or just because you love coconut and it’s Tuesday. You must try them if you love coconut!
Gooey Coconut Pie Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter — softened
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can — 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- Line a 9x13” pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place butter, flour, salt and powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or use a hand mixer). Mix until smooth a cookie dough forms.
- Place shortbread in the prepared pan. Spray your hands with cooking spray and press to a thin layer in the pan. Bake shortbread layer for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, stir together sweetened condensed milk, egg, and coconut extract. Stir in coconut. After 15 minutes of baking, pour the milk mixture carefully over the hot crust. Continue baking for about 17-19 minutes until the sides start to look golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1 Bar) — Calories: 245, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 34mg, Sodium: 874mg, Carbohydrates: 28g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 20g, Protein: 3g