get new recipes in your email box:

Dec 18

Eggnog Pie

Eggnog. You either love it or you hate it. There are very few people I’ve encountered that like it “a little.” Unlike gingerbread or peppermint…eggnog is eggnog. Kind of no matter where you put it.

I fall in the “LOVE IT!” category for eggnog. I’ve loved it since I was a little girl. I remember getting a carton of it as soon as it was available in the store and enjoying little glasses of it with my Dad throughout the holiday. Which is why it astonishes me that (1) Jordan doesn’t really like it (I guess she’s her father’s daughter) and (2) that I’ve never made dessert with it before.

I knew that, this year, I had to remedy that! As soon as I saw this pie I knew a pie would be one of the things I made with eggnog this year.

And wouldn’t you know…it was the only thing? I swear, where did the time go? I need another week to post all my ideas for Christmas. If I don’t get my extra week you’ll either be getting red and green treats way into 2013 or I’ll have to save them and hope to remember to use them next year. {Please tell me I’m not the only one who does that?}

One of the reasons I’m sharing this pie with you today is because it’s something super exciting for me here at Crazy for Crust. The folks over at Marie Callender’s have started a blog. And they asked me to be a contributor! So, for the next few months, you’ll be able to find more posts from me…but over there. And it’s not all about food. I’m actually posting tips and crafts and stuff (eek!)

So anyway…be on the lookout for me on the Marie Callender’s blog. I assure you…I’ll be sharing my posts and linking up, because I’m kind of excited about it.

Actually, I was so excited that I went out and bought some of the Marie Callender’s Frozen Pastry Shells. Have you seen them? They taste amazing! I baked it up lickety split and filled it with my eggnog pudding for this pie. The innards of the pie are super simple too…just use eggnog instead of milk when making your instant pudding.

It’s a very noggy pie. If you like eggnog…well, you’ll like this pie. If you don’t…well. Maybe use chocolate milk. I bet that would be goooooooood.

So, come on over to the Marie Callender’s blog. I’ll be there waiting for you. 🙂

Eggnog Pie

Yield: 8 servings

Eggnog pie - a pudding pie made with eggnog!

Ingredients:

• 1 prepared pie crust, either frozen or from a pack of two, or my homemade crust recipe
  • 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
  • 1 box vanilla instant pudding (sugar-free is fine), 1.5 ounce size for sugar-free or 3.4-3.9 ounces for regular instant
  • 2 cups eggnog
  • 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
  • Ground nutmeg, optional (for garnish)

Directions:

1. If using a refrigerated crust, unroll and place in a 9" pie plate. Poke holes in the bottom of the crust with the tines of a fork. Bake crust according to package directions. Cool before filling. (You can also use this crust, pressed into a 9" pan, poked with the tines of a fork and baked at 400°F for 8-10 minutes.)
  2. Place cold whipping cream in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat until stiff peaks form. Chill until ready to use.
  3. Place pudding mix and eggnog in a large bowl. Stir until no lumps remain. Fold in 1 cup of the prepared whipped cream. Pour into cooled pie crust.
  4. Fold powdered sugar into remaining whipped cream and spread on the top of the pie. (I filled a pasty bag fitted with a 1M tip for this step, but you can just spread it on if you prefer.) Sprinkle with freshly grated nutmeg. Store in refrigerator.

Like eggnog? Check out these supercool recipes:

Frosted Eggnog Spice Bars with Gingersnap Streusel by The Domestic Rebel

Eggnog Rice Krispie Treats by Mallow & Co.

Eggnog Fudge by Chocolate, Chocolate, and More

Eggnog Martini by Nutmeg Nanny

Pumpkin Cheesecake Nog by Something Swanky

This post contains links to my outside sponsor, Marie Callender’s. All opinions are 100% my own.

This post may be linked to: Chef in TrainingTrick or Treat TuesdayLil’ LunaSweet Treats SaturdayChic-and-CraftyI’m Lovin’ it FridaysStrut your Stuff SaturdayWeekend Wrap Up PartySundae Scoop Link Partyand all of these too!

69 comments on “Eggnog Pie

1. Yay for your gig with Marie! I heart Marie Callender’s and I heart you and I heart this eggnog pie. And I know I’m weird, but I fall in the middle of the road, shade of gray area about eggnog. Sometimes I’m all for it, other times I won’t even think about the stuff, much less touch it. But don’t you worry, I’d be all over this pie no problem.

• crazyforcrust replied on December 18th, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I think I’d like it even more if it had real nog in it. 🙂 Thanks Hayley!

2. I love eggnog and I love pie! This one looks awesome, Dorothy! And what a cool opportunity with Marie! You’ll do great–can’t wait to check it all out!

3. What an exciting opportunity Dorothy! Can’t wait to see your “stuff”, crafts and of course recipes!!! You deserve this 🙂

• crazyforcrust replied on December 18th, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Thank you Aimee! I’m excited about it. 🙂

4. Sooooooo excited for you!!!! Can’t wait to check out your posts.

5. Yayayay that’s so exciting! Congrats!

6. Yeah! That’s so exciting Dorothy – way to go! Looking forward to seeing some of your posts! 🙂

7. Woo hoo!! That’s exciting news for you! I can’t wait to read your tips and crafts and recipes of course! And eggnog, well, I love the stuff. This pie looks awesome!!!

8. Oh my gosh I wish I could eat my screen right now…. I think I will make 2 of these. One with eggnog and one with chocolate milk. Just for good measure 🙂 Exciting about the Marie Calendars blog!!!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 19th, 2012 at 7:08 am

Thanks Summer!!! My kind of girl, two pies… 🙂

9. That is SO exciting! I LOVE Marie Callender’s!
    Seems that all the guys in my family love egg nog, but the girls, not so much:)

Congrats on you new gig, Dorothy!

10. Congrats on the gig! Way to go!
    I love Egg Nog, but haven’t bought any yet… I must buy some tomorrow! This looks wonderful. I love how your crust turned out. Looks great!

11. You know I adore eggnog, I’m hoping (praying) there’s still some in the store when I go tomorrow. This pie sounds like the perfect way to carry on my love. Oh and Marie, she and I have been friends almost as long as eggnog and me, well maybe not. I don’t think Marie’s as old as me. But her Pot Pies, yup, love them! Can’t wait to see what you’re posting over there!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 19th, 2012 at 7:07 am

Oh, I bet there will be some! There was loads of it at Walmart last weekend. 🙂 Thanks Joan!

12. Woo hoo! So exciting!!!!

13. Congrats on the new gig! With the all crazy inventive pies you have on this blog, you are the girl for them.

14. wow so exciting!!! And I hate to say it, but I have never gotten into egg nog, I hope we can still be friends;p

• crazyforcrust replied on December 19th, 2012 at 7:06 am

Totally. You make rockin’ cake pops. We’ll be BFFs for sure! 🙂

15. Congrats!! That’s awesome. Can’t wait to see your posts over on their blog. 🙂

16. I want that in my face. Like… I want someone to shove that pie in my face right now.

• crazyforcrust replied on December 19th, 2012 at 1:09 pm

LOL, me too. 🙂 Thanks Katrina!

17. Pingback: Eggnog Pie | Crazy for Crust

18. Eggnog and I have a lovely and long relationship. I made eggnog cupcakes last night. Kinda died and went to Eggnog Heaven. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the Marie Callender’s blog! Merry Christmas, Dorothy!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 19th, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Thanks Ellen! I bet you added booze. 🙂

19. Congrats! What an exciting opportunity!
    This pie looks perfect! I love eggnog in desserts!

20. I loveeeee eggnog! Your pie looks so light, fluffy and delicious! This is the perfect dessert to bring to a holiday party!

• crazyforcrust replied on December 19th, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Thanks Kristi! It sure is. 🙂

21. I like eggnog sparingly, but it is something that takes desserts to the next level!

22. Congrats on the super cool gig with Marie Callender! I don’t think you’re the only one that makes more desserts than there is time to blog about. I was just going through my pictures and I still have projects from the summer I just haven’t gotten around to posting. One day:)
    Anywho, I LOVE eggnog and this sounds so very good and easy! I have everything but the pudding otherwise I’d be making it tomorrow.
    Thanks for sharing at Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday

23. I am so behind, ugh!
    What exciting news, Dorothy! I can’t wait to see all the things you share!
    This pie, oh my. Looks amazing!

24. Pingback: Bake It With Booze!: Spiked Eggnog Cupcakes

25. Pingback: | Whatcha’ Whipped Up #28

26. Pingback: 50+ Pies and Cheesecakes

27. Pingback: 24 Amazing Holiday Eggnog Recipes

28. I love how light and fluffy it looks – like fresh snow! Pinned!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 17th, 2013 at 6:29 am

Thank you for the pin!

29. Pingback: 22 Sweets To Make With Eggnog This Holiday Season | SaltyPepper

30. Pingback: 22 Sweets To Make With Eggnog This Holiday Season | BlogStoriez

31. Pingback: 22 Sweets To Make With Eggnog This Holiday Season - Do You Still Hate Me?

32. Pingback: 22 Sweets To Make With Eggnog This Holiday Season

33. Pingback: 22 Sweets To Make With Eggnog This Holiday Season : Grandmas Cooking

34. Pingback: 22 Sweets To Make With Eggnog This Holiday Season : Eat-Best.com

35. Pingback: 22 Sweets To Make With Eggnog This Holiday Season | Monthly Recipes

36. Pingback: 22 Sweets To Make With Eggnog This Holiday Season | Lowthorp.com

37. Looks delish! I have leftover eggnog (what?!) and want to make this today. Question, what size box of vanilla pudding?

38. Pingback: 25 Eggnog Inspired Recipes - Bread Booze Bacon

39. This is not thick enough!  Maybe a large box of poudding or add gelatin or cook the pudding to a thick consistency.   Anyway the pie, as is, has a soupy finish after setting up over night.  So try the recommendations above!

40. Pingback: 15 Holiday Eggnog Dessert Recipes - Pretty My Party

41. Jus a quick question – is there a reason you used sugar free pudding mix? I hate using anything with artificial sweetener in it and since we are using eggnog this is definitely not a low fat recipe – just wondering if this was a taste preference or if the sugar free was a necessity for texture, etc.?? Thanks!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 3rd, 2015 at 6:28 pm

You can use a regular mix, for sure! Enjoy!

42. Did you use the 1oz pkg or 1.5 oz pkg of instant pudding?

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 10th, 2015 at 2:57 pm

I *think* it’s the 1.5 ounce if you’re using sugar free, or 3-4 ounce if you’re using regular instant. The directions on the box call for 2 cups milk on the boxes I use. I think different brands might be different sizes, so check the pudding instructions on the box just to be sure.

43. Quick question:  It says to just stir the pudding with the eggnog until no lumps…so you don’t whip it up like pudding just substituting eggnog for milk?

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 24th, 2015 at 7:12 pm

I used the eggnog instead of the milk – it means just to whisk the pudding mix, sorry for that confusion!