Feb 01

Peanut Butter Football Dip

The original Peanut Butter Football Dip – a football shaped sweet dip filled with peanut butter and chocolate!
Peanut Butter Football Dip | crazyforcrust.com | The original peanut butter football dip! #football #dip #peanutbutter

So…Sunday is the Superbowl.

I don’t even know who is playing. I think the Giants are. Once the Niners lost, I kinda stopped paying attention.

{Not that I was paying attention before. I just made sure to know what was happening during that three hour period that the 49ers were actually playing. Before and after? No clue.}

We’ve talked about how much my husband loves football. I was even nice enough that, during that ill-fated playoff game the Sunday before last, I took Jordan to Hell Chuck E. Cheese to play. So he could watch it alone. In silence. Without Jordan pretending to be a character in Mystery Science Theatre.

Before Jordan was in elementary school I would take her away for the weekend of the Superbowl. We’d come home Monday morning and I’d fast-forward through the DVR’d game to watch the commercials.

Now that she starts school at 7:50am on Mondays, traveling is a little problematic. For she and I, anyway.

My husband solved that problem. He conveniently scheduled a business trip in the Bay Area for bright and early Monday morning. So he has to go stay at a hotel on Sunday night. Rendering him alone to watch the Superbowl in peace.

So, Jordan and I will be home Sunday. If we don’t go to a party, we’ll tape the game and watch the commercials. Thanks to Janet and Justin, I think it’s safe for her. Mostly. Thank goodness for mute, pause, and fast-forward.

Oh, and we’re gonna break this baby out and eat it for dinner.

It’s like a cheeseball. But it’s peanut butter. With chocolate chips. Oh, Pinterest, how I love thee. (Ages ago I pinned this picture. It inspired this football.)

It’s super easy to make.  Make your batter and form it into a football. Then cover it in chocolate sprinkles. Or cocoa powder. Or mini chocolate chips. Whatever. Just cover it in something that makes it look like a football. Or, if you don’t like football and don’t plan to watch the game, you could make this for Valentine’s Day.

Then eat it. With pretzels. Or cookies. Or a spoon, which is my preferred method.

{Note to husband: See what you’re missing out on honey? You know you’d rather stay home and eat this and wrestle with Jordan instead of watching the game in a cushy hotel room.}

Not.

Enjoy! Have fun watching men in spandex football! (I know I will.)

Peanut Butter Football Dip

Ingredients:

• ¼ cup butter, softened
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup peanut butter (your choice; crunchy or smooth)
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (up to 2 cups if needed)
  • ½ cup mini chocolate chips
  • Chocolate sprinkles or chocolate chips for the outside of the football
  • White chocolate or frosting for the football laces

Directions:

1. Cream butter, cream cheese, and peanut butter until mixed (using a hand-held mixer). Mix in vanilla.
  2. Add powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time, and mix until combined. (If you want a stiffer mixture, add the extra ½ cup of powdered sugar.) Mix in chocolate chips.
  3. Turn out mixture on a large sheet of waxed paper. Use your hands to form into a football shape. (This would also be cute as “lips” for Valentine’s Day!)
  4. Place the waxed paper onto your serving plate. (It helps if the plate has sides…less mess!) Cover in sprinkles or chocolate chips, pressing them into the surface a little so they stick. Pipe on the laces using melted white chocolate or some leftover frosting and chill until ready to serve.
  5. Serving suggestion: pretzels, animal crackers, cookies, a spoon.

Notes:

If your mixture is too soft to form into a football shape, chill it for about 15-30 minutes. (The length of chilling time depends on how soft it starts.) The freezer will speed up this step.

Peanut Butter Football Dip

103 Responses to “Peanut Butter Football Dip”

1. Cathy S. posted on March 22, 2012 at 6:29 pm (#)

Could dip it with celery for a no-wheat alternative.

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on March 24th, 2012 at 6:50 pm

For sure! And to make it healthy. Celery has negative calories, right? It’ll make the peanut butter better for you.

• Laura replied on September 7th, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Celery was a delicious dipper – in fact it was my favorite. The saltiness of the celery balanced out the richness of the dip for me. We also dipped pretzels and animal crackers. Yum!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 7th, 2013 at 6:14 pm

OMG. Celery – you’re a genius. I always go to sweet, but I like the way you think. Celery has negative calories, right? So I can eat more dip? ha!

2. Anonymous posted on July 12, 2012 at 11:03 am (#)

how do you make the batter?

3. Anonymous posted on August 24, 2012 at 12:58 pm (#)

could u make this the night before and it still be ok ?

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on August 24th, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Yes! I had some in my refrigerator for several days. It should hold it’s shape fine. :)

4. emily posted on August 27, 2012 at 6:54 am (#)

Is this the size of a dinner plate? Or smaller? I’m trying to decide how many chocolate sprinkles I need to buy to cover the whole thing

• Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust replied on August 27th, 2012 at 7:26 am

The plate I used was an oblong dinner plate size. If you have a walmart in your area, they sell a large tub of the chocolate jimmies – it’s cheaper than buying a few little bottles! I probably used about 1 cup of sprinkles, give or take a bit.

5. Pingback: Nutella Brownie Footballs | Crazy for Crust

6. Pingback: Kickoff to the NFL Season

7. Katie posted on September 7, 2012 at 3:26 pm (#)

Is there is step missing about firming up the ‘batter’? After creaming everything, it seems very soft and hard to form into a shape.

• crazyforcrust replied on September 7th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

If it is too soft, pop it in to the fridge to chill for a little while. How soft it is after creaming depends on how soft your butter/cream cheese was, and how the temp is in your house. Chilling it for about 30 minutes should help you form the shape. It won’t get super hard, more like soft play dough. (If you’re running short on time, you can freeze it for about 15 minutes instead of using the refrigerator.) Enjoy!

8. Pingback: The 50 Best Snacks, Dips, and Dunks on the Internet « 50 Best Recipes «

9. Pingback: Funfetti Cake Batter Pies | Crazy for Crust

10. Pingback: High Five Fridays: Weekly Meal Plan (10.05.12), Football Food

11. Teri posted on October 5, 2012 at 6:06 pm (#)

I just found your blog….omg…I think I will get up and go make this for college football tomorrow. You have some terrific recipes .

• crazyforcrust replied on October 7th, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Oh, I hope you enjoyed it! I need to have a football party so I can make it again. :)

12. Erika posted on October 9, 2012 at 8:53 am (#)

Oh my god this is AMAZING! If I made this for my boyfriend, I think he would explode with joy.

Um who am I kidding. If I made this for myself, I would be…………….super happy :) Love your blog :)

• crazyforcrust replied on October 9th, 2012 at 6:50 pm

LOL! Same here. ;) And thanks!

13. Pingback: Muddy Buddy Cheeseball | Crazy for Crust

14. Pingback: 2012 Reader Favorites from www.crazyforcrust.com | Crazy for Crust

15. Pingback: Cake Batter Dip Dessert Snackadium with Pillsbury - Crazy for Crust | Crazy for Crust

16. Deborah Vaughn posted on January 18, 2013 at 9:59 am (#)

Green colored coconut.

17. donika@momwhats4dinner posted on January 27, 2013 at 9:35 am (#)

This looks great! My dad is a football coach so he will love this! Can’t wait to try it out! ~Donika

18. Leah posted on January 27, 2013 at 3:37 pm (#)

I’m making this as one of my Super Bowl treats, it sounds amazing. Can’t wait for the grandkids to taste it.

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 27th, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I hope you enjoy!!! :)

• KWR replied on February 1st, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Im making it for a superbowl party but instead making it vegan sounds yummy!!!!!!!!!!

19. Pingback: Super Bowl Snack Recipes

20. Pingback: Super Bowl Sweet Treats

21. Chewoutloud posted on January 30, 2013 at 11:12 pm (#)

Cute, cute idea! LOVE it. Love Pinterest, and adore your spin. I’d better have plenty of eaters around when I make this, so I don’t end up eating the entire football. Because I would. Eat the entire thing. ;)

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 31st, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Yes, totally. It’s addicting!

22. Jogalog posted on January 31, 2013 at 7:00 am (#)

I’ve never seen anything like this before. My husband would be so happy if I made it for him though!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 31st, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I bet he would! My husband wants me to make it again this year. :)

23. Pingback: Football Shaped Treats for the Super Bowl

24. Pingback: 28 Blogs to Help You Throw the Best Super Bowl Party Ever | NannyPro.com

25. Pingback: Rosemary White Bean Dip | Candy Crazed Run

26. Pingback: Superbowl Snack Ideas

27. Pingback: Pinterest Roundup: Super Bowl Snacks – Daily Savings From All You Magazine | Deals, coupons, savings, sweepstakes and more…

28. Pingback: Pinterest Projects for the Uncreative (22)

29. Pingback: Reese's Basketball Dip #snackmadness - Crazy for Crust

30. SaraBeth posted on April 23, 2013 at 9:41 pm (#)

This has become a favorite in our house & with family / friends!!!! After making a football for the Super Bowl, I gave also made a rainbow fish for my dad’s surprise 60th party & now a pencil for secretaries day tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!!!

• Dorothy Kern replied on April 24th, 2013 at 6:34 am

I love that!!! So great to do it in different shapes. That’s a perfect idea!

31. Pingback: Yummy Tailgate Foods for PSU Football - Penn State Sports Blog

32. Elizabeth posted on August 28, 2013 at 6:39 pm (#)

OMG! This sounds delish. Would it be okay to sit out in the heat all day at a tailgate? Or does it need to stay refrigerated?

33. Heather - Chickabug posted on September 2, 2013 at 12:22 pm (#)

Found this just in time for football season! So cute! : )

34. Vanessa posted on September 9, 2013 at 11:24 am (#)

OMFG! It’s SO GOOD it’s DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made this for a football party and it almost didn’t make it to the party! It was SOOOOOO unbelievable that I almost couldn’t stop eating it after scraping the bowl, licking the spoons, fingers, and mixer prongs clean. I have never done that before lol Then I tried some on a pretzel and it was even more amazing if you can believe it!!! I did not use parchment paper for this. I WILL be making this again! Thank you to whoever created this recipe!

• Dorothy Kern replied on September 9th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Thanks Vanessa!! It is one of our family favorites too!

35. Pingback: 15 Fabulous Game Day Ideas!

36. Pingback: Peanut Butter Football Dip - Food For The Holidays

37. Happier Than A Pig in Mud posted on October 14, 2013 at 1:36 pm (#)

Just made this on Sunday and it was great! Wanted to say thanks for such a fun idea:@)

• Dorothy Kern replied on October 14th, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Yay! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

38. Pingback: Tailgating Tips & Recipes – Life a la Wife

39. Pingback: Peanut Butter Oreo Hockey Puck Dip : Specialty Cake Creations

40. Nanny B posted on October 31, 2013 at 7:06 am (#)

I want to try this with chocolate and white chocolate stripes. Make it like a giant Buckeye! Perfect for a Ohio state game.

41. Erin @ Making Memories posted on November 7, 2013 at 6:30 pm (#)

Oh my heck! Yum. I think I would eat the entire thing.

42. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cheese Ball Pops - Crazy for Crust

43. Kathy Pack posted on December 23, 2013 at 2:57 am (#)

Wowser…I’m super excited to make this! We are a football family…nothing gets done from late August through January in our house, lol! Love your blog and now following you on Pinterest! Thanks for sharing!

• Dorothy Kern replied on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Thanks for following! This PB dip is my favorite ever. :) Enjoy!

44. Pingback: Top 10 Viewed Recipes 2013 - Crazy for Crust

45. Pingback: Amazing Super Bowl Recipes Round up - Close To Home

46. Pingback: 15 Creative Sweet Snacks for the Superbowl Night

47. Pingback: Super Bowl Snacks + FREE Party Printables | Fancy Flours: Where Bakers Bloom

48. Pingback: 40 Awesome Super Bowl Party Ideas

49. Pingback: Snickers Dip - Crazy for Crust

50. Pingback: 15 Fun Football Foods - A Family Feast

51. Pingback: 50 Super Bowl Snacks - Garnish with Lemon | Garnish with Lemon

52. Pingback: Peanut Butter Football Dip

53. Pingback: Super Bowl Recipes & Giveaway! | Jessie Loves To Run

54. Pingback: 26 Football Themed Recipes - Julie's Eats & Treats

55. Pingback: 26 Football Themed Superbowl Recipes | Chef Recipes

56. Pingback: Mini Brownie Football Pies - Crazy for Crust

57. Robin Boateng posted on January 23, 2014 at 3:57 pm (#)

Dorothy, I just saw you are featured in this week’s issue of Women’s World magazine. Congratulations! This dip looks delicious. I’m sure to try it out soon!

• Dorothy Kern replied on January 23rd, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Thanks Robin! I wasn’t sure when it was coming out. I just sent my husband to the store. :)

58. Pingback: 15 FAN-Tastic Super Bowl Recipes | Seaside Vacations

59. Pingback: 26 Reasons You Don't Need Meat At Your Super Bowl Party : Grandmas Cooking

60. Pingback: 26 Reasons You Don't Need Meat At Your Super Bowl Party : Eat-Best.com

61. Pingback: 23 Cute Football Snacks For Your Super Bowl Party | GossipViews.com

62. Pingback: 26 Reasons You Don’t Need Meat At Your Super Bowl Party | GossipViews.com

63. Pingback: 26 Reasons You Don't Need Meat At Your Super Bowl Party |Parkkar Lifestyles and News

64. Pingback: Peanut Butter Covered Oreo Truffles - Crazy for Crust

65. Pingback: 23の魅力的なスーパーボウル軽食 | 男は美味しいご飯に弱い!最新モテ料理・肉料理! 女子は必見!

66. Pingback: 23 Adorable Super Bowl Snacks | GossipViews.com

67. Pingback: Jeobox – 23 Adorable Super Bowl Snacks

68. Pingback: 23の魅力的なスーパーボウル軽食 | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

69. Pingback: Super Bowl = Super Food today on Monday Morning Inspiration | The Modern Jewish Wedding

70. Pingback: 26 Reasons You Don’t Need Meat At Your Super Bowl Party | TheseNews.com

71. Pingback: Game Day Party Food, Desserts and Cupcakes

72. Pingback: Football Cookies and Cream Dip - Creative Juice

73. Pingback: 10 Football Shaped Party Foods For The Big Game - Sincerely, Mindy

74. Melissa posted on February 1, 2014 at 12:12 pm (#)

Anybody ever try to cover this with crushed Oreo cookie crumbs instead of sprinkles?

75. Pingback: Super Bowl Snack Ideas | LC Living

76. Pingback: The Best Superbowl Snacks | The Recipe Critic

77. Pingback: あなたのスーパーボウル党のための23のかわいいフットボール軽食 | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

78. Pingback: あなたのスーパーボウル党のための23のかわいいフットボール軽食 | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

79. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Dip - Something Swanky

80. Gretchen posted on March 26, 2014 at 1:20 pm (#)

I made this for a super bowl party and it was a big hit, thank you! I am wondering if I can make this and freeze it for a few days, what do you think? I want to make it ahead and have it ready for a crowd this weekend. Thank you!

• Dorothy Kern replied on March 26th, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I would freeze it without the sprinkles then add those after it defrosts. The sprinkles can be finicky and might get funky looking if frozen! Enjoy!

81. Pingback: April 26 – National Pretzel Day | Rhapsody in Books Weblog

82. Pingback: Top 10 Football Desserts For Tailgating 2014

83. Pingback: The Ultimate Super Bowl Party List: 55 Recipes, Decorations, Crafts And More | Lady and the Blog