This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
These Peppermint Brownies are what you’ve been waiting for! Every fudgy bite is loaded with that peppermint flavor you love at the holidays. They taste like Christmas with a fudgy inside and a to die for fudge chocolate frosting!
Table of Contents
Peppermint Brownie Recipe with Crushed Candy Canes
There’s just something about crushed candy canes or mints on top of soft and chewy brownies. The contrast between the two textures is INSANE. If you haven’t treated your taste buds yet, now is the time.
Rest easy knowing that the peppermint crunch might be the star of this recipe, but you’re going to be the one in the baker’s hall of fame after you make and share them! Get ready to hand out this recipe to everyone you know – because they’re all going to be asking for it.
Ingredients in Chocolate Peppermint Brownies
- Unsweetened baking chocolate – It’s best to use unsweetened because there will be added sugar in the recipe. Find this in the baking aisle.
- Unsalted butter – If using salted reduce added salt to 1/4 tsp.
- Instant coffee – If you have packets of instant coffee, just use one of those. You can omit this but the coffee makes the rich flavor of the chocolate shine through.
- Granulated sugar – To add sweetness to the brownie batter!
- Eggs – Large eggs are what I prefer to use when baking.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – Regular unsweetened or dutch process
- Vanilla extract
- Peppermint extract – The perfect way to add peppermint flavor.
- All purpose flour – Be sure to measure it correctly!
- Powdered sugar – For the frosting
- Peppermint Mocha coffee creamer – The secret ingredient!
- Crushed peppermint candies/candy canes for topping – Optional, but so good!
How to make this Easy Peppermint Brownies Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13” pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place baking chocolate and butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Heat until it’s melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in instant coffee.
- Add in sugar, then eggs, then stir in cocoa powder. Stir in extracts and salt, then slowly stir in flour.
- Spread in the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted 1-inch from the edge comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting: whisk melted butter with cocoa until it’s dissolved. Whisk in powdered sugar and salt, then add coffee creamer and whisk until smooth. Spread over brownies and sprinkle with crushed candy cane pieces.
The easiest way to crush up the candy cane or peppermint pieces is to use a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, you can put them in a sealed bag and hit the bag with a wood mallet. You just need to get them crumbled to add to the top of the brownies.
Storage and Freezing Peppermint Brownies
How to store brownies: As long as you let the brownies cool and store them at room temperature with a lid, they should last for up to 3-4 days. You can also store them in the fridge as well.
To freeze baked brownies, it’s as simple as adding them to a freezer-safe bag and putting them in the freezer.
If the brownies are hard a few days after baking them, your container may not be as airtight as you think. Ensure that you are keeping the air away from the brownies so they don’t dry out.
Some people say that you should! I’ve heard that letting brownie batter rest for a few minutes after pouring it into the pan will give them a shiny top and a richer taste and flavor.
You can substitute milk for the coffee creamer. If you want peppermint flavor in the frosting just add a few drops of peppermint extract.
Yes you can just omit the instant coffee if you prefer.
Have You Made This Recipe?
Leave a rating by clicking the stars below!
Peppermint Mocha Brownies
For the brownies:
- 6 ounces (170g) unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ teaspoons instant coffee (1 packet if you're using the instant coffee packets)
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons (15g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cups (165g) all-purpose flour
For the frosting:
- ¼ cup (57g) unsalted butter , melted
- 2 tablespoons (10g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (113g) powdered sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Peppermint Mocha coffee creamer
- Crushed peppermint candies/candy canes for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13” pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place baking chocolate and butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, then stir. Heat additionally in 30 second increments, stirring well between each, until it’s melted and smooth. Stir in instant coffee.
- Stir in sugar, then eggs, one at a time, then stir in cocoa powder. Stir in extracts and salt, the slowly stir in flour. Spread in prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted 1” from the edge comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting: whisk melted butter with cocoa until it’s dissolved. Whisk in powdered sugar and salt until it’s thick and crumbly, then add coffee creamer and whisk until smooth. Spread over brownies and sprinkle with crushed candy cane pieces. Let set before cutting.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freezer for up to one month.
- You can omit the instant coffee if you prefer
- Use any flavor coffee creamer (just omit the peppermint extract if you use a different flavor) or use milk.
Other Amazing Peppermint Mocha Recipes
- Peppermint Mocha Fudge
- Peppermint Mocha Chocolate Tres Leches Cake
- Slow Cooker Peppermint Mocha Snugglers
Easy fudgy Peppermint Brownies! These are the perfect brownie recipe to make for Christmas with a fudgy peppermint mocha frosting!
Last Updated on October 21, 2022