Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes are my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe filled with fresh strawberries and a whipped cream frosting! These easy cupcakes are a delicious twist on a strawberry shortcake recipe.
PIN IT NOW TO SAVE FOR LATER
Summer = Strawberry season! I love this time of year because fresh berries are everywhere for affordable prices.
My dad’s birthday is in August and I remember always getting him a strawberry shortcake cake for him. We usually bought it from a local grocery store and it was layers of yellow cake with fresh whipped cream and strawberries. (In reality, I bet we only got that for him like twice or something but it’s the birthday cake I remember!) Now, whenever I see strawberry shortcake, I think of my dad.
We’d also buy those packaged strawberry shortcakes all the time and my dad would heap them with cool whip (or canned whipped cream) and fresh strawberries. Come to think of it, my family hated fruit-and-dessert unless it was strawberry shortcake. Maybe that’s why I make so many strawberry shortcake desserts now?
These cupcakes are a mixture of my dad’s two favorite strawberry shortcake desserts: cake and individual shortcakes all in one!
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes are a fluffy vanilla cupcake recipe filled with fresh strawberries and topped with homemade whipped cream.
They really are such an easy cupcake recipe because you can make your cupcakes however you want: from scratch, from a box, or buy them from the store. I love having the option to take a shortcut when I’m making cupcakes for a party because sometimes there are other things you have to do, so why not take help from a box? Plus, if you make homemade whipped cream, no one will know you used a box cake mix.
The best cupcake for strawberry shortcake
Traditionally, strawberry shortcake is a vanilla cake. I love using my yellow cake recipe for either a layer cake or these shortcake cupcakes. But you could also make chocolate strawberry shortcake cupcakes or even red velvet!
Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes Frosting is fresh whipped cream!
Whenever you eat strawberry shortcake you need homemade whipped cream. I love cool whip and Redi-Whip but homemade is what I want when I make cupcakes like this. You only need three ingredients to make whipped cream:
- Heavy whipping cream
- Vanilla extract
Whipped cream making tips:
- Start with a COLD mixing bowl and cold beaters/whisk. The colder the utensils you start with, the faster the cream will whip.
- Don’t over mix the cream or you’ll end up with butter!
If you want a more stable whipped cream frosting you can make the cream cheese whipped cream frosting I use on my cake rolls.
A strawberry shortcake cupcake is filled with fresh berries!
Cake and whipped cream are great, but for strawberry shortcake you need fresh berries. I cut a bit of the center of the cupcake out to make a hole for filling and I filled it with chopped fresh strawberries.
- Be sure to cut the berries small so they’ll fit inside the cupcake.
- Before filling the cupcake, macerate the berries with a bit of sugar to sweeten them.
These are the perfect summer cupcakes! Because the whipped cream frosting isn’t stable, you’ll want to be sure and fill and frost these the day you want to serve them. You can make the cupcakes ahead of time and freeze, but assemble them day of. Berries don’t last long once washed and cut and whipped cream tends to weep after a day.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipes you’ll love:
- Strawberry Shortcake Cake Roll
- Strawberry Shortcake Layer Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake Icebox Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake Mimosa
Want even more? Subscribe to Crazy for Crust to get new recipes and a newsletter delivered to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for all my latest updates. If you make this recipe, share a photo on social media tagging @crazyforcrust and using the hashtag #crazyforcrust.
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE CUPCAKES
- 24 vanilla cupcakes — baked and cooled
- 1 pound strawberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- You can use my vanilla cupcake recipe or use a cake mix, or buy plain cupcakes from the store.
- Remove tops and hull strawberries. Dice strawberries finely. Toss with about 1 tablespoon sugar (optional).
- Place heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer. Beat at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Hollow out a portion of the center of each cupcake. Fill with berries. Top with whipped cream.
- Frost these right before serving for best results.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1 cupcake) — Calories: 235, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 28mg, Sodium: 148mg, Potassium: 85mg, Carbohydrates: 28g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 18g, Protein: 3g, Vitamin A: 6.3%, Vitamin C: 13.7%, Calcium: 7.2%, Iron: 4.1%
**Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!**