This Strawberry Shortcake recipe from scratch with strawberries, whipped cream and cream biscuits! This classic dessert is completely homemade and the perfect way to serve fresh strawberries.
Skip the packaged shortcakes from the store and make these cream biscuits – you won’t be sorry!
The BEST Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
We LOVE strawberry shortcake. I remember as a kid, my mom buying those little sponge cakes from the store and my dad savoring every bite of his dessert with fresh berries and cool whip.
But for this, I wanted to make that traditional one you see, the one made with biscuits. This recipe will have you not only skipping the packages of sponge cake at the store, but you’ll be making the biscuits ALL THE TIME, for every meal.
This is the best recipe because:
- It’s EASY and fast
- From scratch – completely
- The sweet cream biscuits are the best things ever!
- Freshly made whipped cream
- Lots of fresh strawberries!
What I love about this biscuit recipe is that there’s no cold butter that needs to be cut into the dough, which saves so much time. Instead, the cream is providing all the butterfat and it’s a lot easier to mix up.
How to make Strawberry Shortcake Recipe Video
Table of Contents
- The BEST Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- How to make Strawberry Shortcake Recipe Video
- Ingredients needed for my Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- How to make a Biscuit Shortcake Recipe
- Preparing your strawberries
- Serving a Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- Tips for the BEST Strawberry Shortcake Recipe ever
- Strawberry Shortcake Recipe from Scratch FAQ
- Other Recipes
- Strawberry Shortcake
Ingredients needed for my Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
“Shortcakes” is just another way to say biscuits and I promise they are easy to make. If you’ve never made biscuit shortcake before this is a fool-proof recipe. We’re making drop biscuits so you don’t have to roll out the dough – just mix it up the dough and drop it on your baking sheet.
Basically, the best biscuits ever! Here’s what you will need to make them:
- All-purpose flour – this is the best flour to use, make sure to spoon and level it to measure.
- Baking powder – important for nice fluffy biscuits
- Salt – important because we’re not using butter, so it adds flavor
- Granulated sugar – for a hint of sweetness
- Heavy whipping cream – Adding cream to the biscuit dough gives the shortcake a rich flavor and light and tender crumb.
How to make a Biscuit Shortcake Recipe
1. Dry ingredients: Start by whisking the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a bowl.
2. Cream: Add the cream and stir until the dough comes together. The dough will be very thick so you may need to use your hands to finish mixing it.
3. Scoop: The easiest way to get the dough onto the baking sheet is to scoop the dough with two spoons. I usually make 8 biscuits, but you can make more if want them smaller.
4. Bake: Bake them for 14 to 16 minutes at 425°F until they are golden brown and cooked through. It’s a good idea to rotate the pan halfway through the baking time to ensure they bake evenly. Cool them completely before serving.
Preparing your strawberries
Making the biscuits is the first step and while they cool you can pull the rest of the dessert together.
Place sliced strawberries in a bowl with sugar and lemon juice. Give it a stir and then leave it for 30 minutes. The sugar and lemon juice will soften the fruit and allow the natural juices to release creating almost like a thin sauce. The fancy term is macerated strawberries and it’s really easy to do.
For the whipped cream, you can make it really easy and just use store-bought whipped topping or make a batch of homemade whipped cream.
Serving a Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- Slice each biscuit in half
- To the bottom part with the juicy strawberries and add a dollop of whipped cream
- Place the other half of the biscuit on top
That’s all you have to do! Just looking at these cute strawberry shortcake biscuits makes me think of warm summer nights – it’s so good!
Tips for the BEST Strawberry Shortcake Recipe ever
- Don’t assemble the shortcakes until you’re ready to serve them.
- Don’t add the sugar to the strawberries until about 30 minutes before you’re going to assemble.
- Use ANY fruit for this! You’re not limited to strawberries.
- Don’t want to make homemade whipped cream? Use a can or use Cool Whip.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe from Scratch FAQ
You can make the biscuits ahead of time, but I wouldn’t make them more than a day in advance if you don’t plan to freeze them. If you freeze them, they will last for up to two months. To thaw, just leave them out at room temperature.
For the berries, the longer they sit in the sugar and lemon juice the juicier they will be. So, you can assemble that part of the recipe ahead, but if you let them sit longer than 30 minutes there will be a lot more liquid and the strawberries will be very soft.
I don’t recommend assembling the strawberry shortcakes ahead of time to serve later. The juice from the fruit will make the biscuits soggy.
Yes, you can, but reduce the cream by ¼ cup. The dough won’t fully stir together with your spoon, so place it on a cutting board dusted with flour and “knead” it just a few times to come together. Press it flat and cut desired size biscuits.
Yes, just make them smaller.
Fresh are best but you can use frozen, just make sure they’re thawed and drained well.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
- 2 cups (248g) all purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups (356ml) heavy whipping cream plus more to make whipped cream
- 5 cups (625g) sliced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Whipped cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until the dough comes together. It should become a thick dough and if needed, use your hands to finish working it together.
- Using two spoons, scoop out and drop biscuits on prepared cookie sheets. Depending on size, you’ll get about 8 biscuits, unless you want them smaller.
- Bake for about 14-16 minutes, or until the tops and bottoms are golden brown and the biscuits are cooked through. I recommend rotating the pan halfway though baking for even cooking. Cool biscuits before serving.
- While the biscuits are baking (or about 30 minutes before serving shortcakes), place the strawberries in a medium sized bowl and toss with sugar and lemon juice. The berries will become juicy as they sit.
- For serving: cut each biscuit in half. Top bottom with some berries and some fresh whipped cream or whipped topping. Place the top of the biscuit back on top and serve.
Nutritional information not guaranteed to be accurate
Be sure to add this easy strawberry shortcake recipe to your list! Once you try it, I think you’ll make want to make it all summer long!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Published on: June 1, 2021