This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Cookie Dough Cupcakes combine two treats into one! Chocolate cupcakes topped with homemade cookie dough frosting are an irresistible dessert everyone will love. You can use a homemade cupcake recipe or use a box mix to make this recipe even easier!
Table of Contents
Best Cookie Dough Cupcakes Recipe
Cookie dough fans will go nuts for these chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes! I’m pretty proud of these because anytime I combine two desserts into one, it makes me so happy! In this case, each chocolate cupcake is topped with a scoop of cookie dough frosting.
This recipe is all about the creamy cookie dough! It’s easy to make and is the perfect topping for cupcakes. This frosting is a more spreadable version of my cookie dough recipe.
Make my amazing homemade chocolate cupcakes for this recipe or go the semi-homemade route and use your favorite boxed cupcake mix. I’ve done both, and they are both great for this recipe.
Make this simple, or add mix-ins like mini chocolate chips, nuts, or sprinkles to dress up the frosting! Lots of options with this one.
This frosting is also freezer-friendly, so make it ahead and freeze it for up two months.
Chocolate Cupcakes: Use my cupcake recipe or make cupcakes from a box.
Butter: To make the frosting you’ll need melted unsalted butter
Sugar: Both brown sugar and granulated sugar are needed for the frosting.
Salt: To cut some of the sweetness and bring out the chocolate flavor.
Vanilla Extract: For flavor – be sure to buy PURE vanilla extract.
All-Purpose Flour: We’re making cookie dough, after all! Use heat treated flour if you’re worried about eating raw flour.
Milk: To thin the frosting so it’s spreadable.
Chocolate Chips: To make chocolate chip cookie dough frosting or you can add sprinkles or other mix-ins.
How to Make Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- Combine the butter with the brown sugar and granulated sugar in a bowl. Mix in the salt, vanilla extract, and one tablespoon milk.
- Add the flour and mix until the frosting is smooth. If it is too thick, add additional milk to thin it, if needed. You want it to be spreadable but not too runny. Once you have the right consistency, stir in chocolate chips.
- To frost, scoop some cookie dough on each cupcake. Then, store them in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them. They will keep for up to three days.
- For a serious cookie dough experience, fill each cupcake with some cookie dough frosting and frost them, too. If you use it as a filling, you will have enough frosting for 12 to 18 cupcakes instead of 24.
- I love to use mini chocolate chips in the frosting, too! You can also garnish each cupcake with a little chocolate chip cookie for decoration.
- Add other mix-ins to the frosting, like sprinkles or chopped nuts.
- Feel free to use vanilla cupcakes instead of chocolate.
Don’t we all know someone who loves cookie dough? In my case, it’s ME, and I can guarantee these cookie dough cupcakes will be a hit with the fans in your life, too. You have to give them a try!
Yes, vanilla will work great!
It’s similar to regular cookie dough but more spreadable. All you do is combine melted butter with sugar, vanilla, and milk. Add some flour to thicken it up, and then mix in some chocolate chips.
Yes, it is safe to eat because there isn’t any raw egg. For complete peace of mind, you can use heat-treated flour. This is a simple step that cooks the flour, so any bacteria is killed. It makes cookie dough safe to eat.
Bake the flour at 350°F for 5 minutes to make it safe to eat raw.
Once they are frosted, store them in the refrigerator. They will keep for up to three days.
You can freeze the cupcakes and the frosting. Instead of frosting them first (because it can get smashed in the freezer), I store them separately. Both will keep for up to two months. When you’re ready to serve them, thaw both the cupcakes and frosting and then decorate.
Top with mini chocolate chip cookies or make my best chocolate chip cookie recipe and bake them as 1/2 tablespoon size cookies.
More Desserts Cookie Dough Lovers Will Enjoy
Cookie Dough Cupcakes Recipe
- 24 chocolate cupcakes (baked and cooled) homemade or from a box
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup (100g) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (124g) all-purpose flour (baked if desired)
- 1-3 tablespoons (5-15ml) milk (regular, nonfat, or nondairy are all fine)
- 1 cup (170g) chocolate chips
- Stir butter with brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix in salt, vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon milk and stir until smooth.
- Add flour and mix until smooth. If frosting is too thick, add additional milk to thin (you want it spreadable but not runny). Stir in chocolate chips.
- Frost cookies with cookie dough frosting by scooping it onto the cupcakes.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Freeze frosting for up to 2 months.
- I love using mini chocolate chips in this too!
- Add nuts or sprinkles if you like.
- Want even more cookie dough? Fill the cupcakes with the cookie dough as well as using it as the frosting (doing this will make about 12-18 cupcakes instead of 24)
In these Cookie Dough Cupcakes, each chocolate cupcake is topped with a scoop of cookie dough frosting – cookie dough fans will love these!