This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
These Strawberry Shortcake Bars are an easy cake mix cookie bar topped with whipped cream frosting and fresh strawberries. Soft and sweet, they’re the perfect summer dessert!
Table of Contents
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Bars Recipe
If you’re looking for a dessert bar version of strawberry shortcake then this is the recipe for you!
This is the perfect summer cookie bar – great for potlucks or anytime you have a bounty of fresh strawberries!
I can never get enough of strawberries and cream, and when you combine that with a cake mix bar? I’m in heaven!
7 Ingredients Needed
- Cake Mix: Use your favorite brand. I prefer yellow or white cake mix for this recipe.
- Butter: Always use the best! Challenge Butter is our family favorite and it’s what I use in all my recipes. We melt the butter so it’s easier to mix in.
- Eggs: Always buy large eggs.
- Vanilla: Pure vanilla extract is the best!
- Heavy Whipping Cream: For the whipped cream frosting; no substitutes.
- Cream Cheese: Challenge Cream Cheese is super creamy and smooth and perfect for making frosting.
- Strawberries: Hull and slice them to layer on top. You can also use a mixture of fresh berries!
Using the best ingredients possible will give you the best outcome, which is why I always recommend Challenge Butter. The butter has been a quality staple for over 100 years and is churned from the freshest purest cream. It’s 100% natural without the use of synthetic hormones.
How to Strawberry Shortcake Bars
- Add melted butter, eggs and cake mix to a large bowl. No mixer needed!
- Stir until it’s combined. The mixture will be thick.
- Press the batter into a 9×13-inch pan. I like to line my pan with foil for easy removal.
- Once the bars are baked and cooled, make the whipped cream frosting.
- Frost the bars.
- Top with strawberries. Slice and enjoy!
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to a day. These are best eaten within a day of being assembled.
The cake bars bake up nice and soft, like a cross between a sugar cookie and cake!
Strawberry Shortcake Bars Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add cake mix, butter and eggs to a large bowl. Stir until combined. You can do this by hand or use a mixer.
- Press batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake until light golden around the edges and no longer glossy, approximately 15-20 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the forsting, beat cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Mix on high speed while adding heavy whipping cream, then mix until stiff peaks form.
- Frost bars as desired. Store leftover frosting in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Just before serving, top bars with sliced strawberries. Slice and serve.
- Store bars in refrigerator for up to 24 hours once berries are added. Make bars up to 2 days in advance and frosting up to 2 days ahead. Don’t assemble until ready to serve.
Strawberry Shortcake Bars are a soft cake mix bar cookie, topped with whipped cream frosting and fresh strawberries. It’s shortcake in cookie bar form!
Last Updated on April 30, 2023