This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
These M&M Cookies only have four ingredients! Yellow cake mix is the secret ingredient, and it makes the best cake mix cookies. The cookies bake up soft and puffy with M&Ms baked inside and on top. They are so easy!
Table of Contents
I just love these yellow cake mix cookies! They are bright and sunny looking with a pop of color from the M&Ms, and they taste amazing. You’d never guess they have just four ingredients!
Yellow Cake Mix Cookies with M&Ms
I consider cake mix one of my baking best friends – yes, it’s great to make cookies from scratch, but having cake mix on hand makes making a batch of cookies so, so easy. It’s one of my favorite baking hacks.
And let me say when you make cookies out of yellow cake mix, it’s ridiculously easy! The hardest part is waiting for the dough to chill, but it’s worth it because the cookies always turn out fantastic.
Here are the highlights!
- These are cake mix cookies with butter, and you can use softened OR melted butter. So, if you forget to leave the butter out (like me most times!), you can just use melted and still get great results.
- It’s an easy one-bowl cookie recipe, and if you use melted butter, you don’t even need a mixer.
- As mentioned, they are cookies made with yellow cake mix. I’ve tested this recipe with different brands and share what you can expect, so there are no surprises!
- They’re just the happiest mm cookies! I love the color from the M&Ms, and the flavor from the yellow cake mix is just so good.
4 Ingredient Cookies
Butter: You can make these with melted OR softened unsalted butter but I prefer using melted.
Yellow Cake Mix: Get one that is approximately 15.25 ounces.
Large Eggs: No need for them to be room temperature unless you remember to leave them out.
M&Ms: Use any kind, any size!
How to Make Cookies with Yellow Cake Mix
- Place the butter, cake mix, and eggs in a mixing bowl. If you use softened butter, you will need to mix them with a hand mixer. If you use melted butter, you can stir by hand with a spatula.
- Whichever method you use, stir or mix until the dough is well combined with no lumps.
- Stir in M&Ms until nice and thick.
- Scoop 2-tablespoon balls of cookie dough onto a prepared cookie sheet lined with parchment. Place the pan in the refrigerator and chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- How to bake cake mix cookies: Bake the cookies for 10 to 13 minutes at 350°F. They are done when they lose their glossy sheen. They will also be puffy but will settle a little as they cool.
- Cookie Decorating Hack: As soon as you pull them out of the oven, press a few M&Ms on top of each cookie for decoration. Allow them to cool for at least 10 minutes before taking them off the cookie sheet.
Tips and Variations
- Use any brand or flavor cake mix that is approximately 15 to 16 ounces in size. If you use Betty Crocker cake mix, your cookies will be puffier. If you use Duncan Hines, they will be flatter.
- You can also use a sugar-free cake mix for this recipe. Just use a box that is approximately the same size as the one listed in the recipe card.
- These cookies will work with all kinds of M&Ms, so have fun experimenting with the different options available!
- Or, you can swap the M&Ms and make yellow cake mix chocolate chip cookies.
Yellow Cake Mix Cookies FAQ
Yes, in testing this recipe, I found that Duncan Hines yellow cake mix cookies are flatter, and Betty Crocker makes them thicker and puffier.
You do need to chill these cookies before baking them. Chilling firms up the butter so your cookies won’t overspread while they bake.
Once they are cooled, store them in an airtight container, and they will keep at room temperature for three days.
Yes, yellow cake cookies freeze great. Store the cooled cookies in a freezer container, and they will keep for up to two months. Then, you can thaw them at room temperature when you are ready to serve them.
Tuck this yellow cake mix recipe away, so you have it on hand the next time you want to make a batch of M&M cookies. You will love how easy it is!
More Cake Mix Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @crazyforcrust on Instagram or hashtag it #crazyforcrust
M&M Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter melted or softened
- 1 15.25 ounce box yellow cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups M&Ms
- If using softened butter, you’ll need a hand or a stand mixer. If using melted butter, you can use a mixer or do the following by hand.
- Place butter, cake mix, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir or mix until combined and no lumps remain. Stir in M&Ms.
- Scoop 2-tablespoon balls of cookie dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or silicone baking mats. No need to space them; we are chilling the dough. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a second cookie sheet with parchment or silicone baking mat.
- Space cookies 2-inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until they just lose their glossy sheen. These cookies stay puffy and will settle a bit as they cool but don’t become flat.
- Immediately after removing from the oven press a few more M&Ms on top for decoration. Cool at least 10 minutes before removing from the cookie sheet.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Use any brand or flavor cake mix that is approximately 15-16 ounces in size.
- You can do this same recipe using sugar-free cake mix as long as it’s around the same size box.
- Betty Crocker makes puffier cookies and Duncan Hines cookies will be flatter.
M&M Cake Mix Cookies are made with only 4 ingredients! The cookies bake up soft and puffy with M&Ms baked inside and on top. They are so easy!
Last Updated on February 26, 2022